Chuck Palahniuk

Novel

Palahniuk is most notably known for his novel Fight Club. Has anyone here read any of his other novels? In my opinion, he possesses one of the more unique voices within contemporary literature. I found his latest novel, Rant, to be thematically compelling.

Let's discuss!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure someone has - or perhaps if you give us all a bit more info about him and the books he's written, you'll inspire some of us to give him a try.

Perhaps you'll nominate a book by him for the reading circle next month?

I'm sure someone has - or perhaps if you give us all a bit more info about him and the books he's written, you'll inspire some of us to give him a try.

Hmm. I like this idea.

Perhaps you'll nominate a book by him for the reading circle next month?

Indeed! I would be more than happy to. Although, I'm still trying to grasp the gist of what others on this board enjoy reading.

Chuck's writing can be quite explicit.

I think you'll find that we enjoy a very wide range of genres and styles here - everything from lighthearted chick-lit/lad-lit and romances, to fiendishly clever mysteries and crime thrillers and everything in between (as well as all the detours - LOL!). We also all love hearing other people's thoughts on what they've been reading - many of us have been tempted to try something completely new and different because of another member telling all about it. :D

Fight Club blew me away when I first read it. It's one of those books that I was so glad I had the chance to pick up. Though it was mainly centered around young/middle-aged men and their dissatisfaction with their place in society, it really spoke to me. I think alot of what Palahniuk says in Fight Club can apply to anyone living today. It's not only the story, but the way it was written. There were so many punchy one-liners in that book! :D

I eagerly picked up his other books as they came out, but none of them came close (IMO) to Fight Club. I did enjoy Invisible Monsters and Survivor, but I don't think I even finished Choke or Lullaby. I haven't bothered to pick up his most recent ones.

I would like to give his other books another go, to see whether I feel differently about them now. I honestly don't think he could top Fight Club...but that's just my opinion, of course. :eek2:

Fight Club blew me away when I first read it. It's one of those books that I was so glad I had the chance to pick up. Though it was mainly centered around young/middle-aged men and their dissatisfaction with their place in society, it really spoke to me. I think alot of what Palahniuk says in Fight Club can apply to anyone living today. It's not only the story, but the way it was written. There were so many punchy one-liners in that book! :D

Yes! Thank you for your reply. Fight Club was an instant classic. It will absolutely be utilized within classroom settings in the future, although, I've noticed that it has already begun to pop up in some university curriculum's already.

Palahniuk has always maintained a severely clever, yet unique, view on societal issues. His observations on the present state of society are priceless. Also, the manner in which he incorporates his views into his plot lines, as well as the characters, never fails to impress.

I suppose I mostly enjoy his work because his style of writing is different. As I've mentioned earlier -- his voice is stunning. Although it may be a bit repetitive throughout his work, it never reaches the level of "tiresome".

I eagerly picked up his other books as they came out, but none of them came close (IMO) to Fight Club. I did enjoy Invisible Monsters and Survivor, but I don't think I even finished Choke or Lullaby. I haven't bothered to pick up his most recent ones.

I have a difficult time ranking Palahniuk's novels. I have completed all of them with an immense amount of satisfaction. I could read Chuck's writing all day.

Invisible Monsters contained one of the more shocking plot twists that I have ever read. It's been quite a while since I've read it, but I vividly remember being placed in a severe state of shock. I would say the same about Diary -- this novel has an extremely delicious twist at the very, very end.

Lullaby falls more along the lines of science fiction perhaps. This was actually the first novel of his that I read. I was immediately drawn to his style of writing and the uncommon, yet ingenious characters that he was able to create. I enjoyed this novel thoroughly.

I would rank Choke more towards the upper portion of Palahniuk's work. I know that many seemed to dislike this novel; however, I found it to be truly invigorating, as well as refreshing. It's much more calm than his other work, but it maintained a similar level of intrigue.

I would like to give his other books another go, to see whether I feel differently about them now. I honestly don't think he could top Fight Club...but that's just my opinion, of course. :eek2:

Haunted was brilliant in my opinion. It's a novel told through a collection of some of the best short stories I have ever read. HOWEVER, there is one short story entitled GUTS that may have a negative effect on your physical being. Indeed, it's a well-known fact that this short story has caused over 70 people to faint during various live readings. This is just a warning to those that decide to read this novel.

Lastly, Palahniuk's most recent novel, Rant, is perhaps his best work since Fight Club. Thematically, it may surpass Fight Club. He's intertwined so many critical themes into the story. Chances are, you won't pick up on all of them after reading it once. The way that he has constructed and executed the plot almost forces you to re-read the book. In fact, it is, perhaps, essential that you read Rant twice, and chances are, you will feel a strong desire to upon completion -- and for numerous reasons too, because the second time around, it will read as an entirely different story. This novel is pure genius.

Yes! Thank you for your reply. Fight Club was an instant classic. It will absolutely be utilized within classroom settings in the future, although, I've noticed that it has already begun to pop up in some university curriculum's already.

You're welcome! :D I'd love for Fight Club to be set as required reading by high schools (though they may not be old enough to fully grasp the feeling of it) and university. I wish I had books like that to read when I was that age! It is one of the few books that really opened my eyes, and touched a nerve in me. I was fortunate enough to read it before the movie came out; though the movie is quite faithful to the book in the message it is trying to get across, it doesn't hit you as hard as the written word. Also, the way the movie was marketed probably had a lot of people thinking it was some mindless flick about a bunch of guys beating each other up for the sake of it. So much more to it than that. :)

For anyone who wants to read an excerpt of it, you can find it here, at Amazon. I'd say it's the most accessible of Palahniuk's books (at least the ones I've read), and it's always the one most referred to.

I suppose I mostly enjoy his work because his style of writing is different. As I've mentioned earlier -- his voice is stunning. Although it may be a bit repetitive throughout his work, it never reaches the level of "tiresome".

Absolutely agree with you there. He can say so much in one sentence; I loved reading his words as much as the underlying story.

Haunted was brilliant in my opinion. It's a novel told through a collection of some of the best short stories I have ever read. HOWEVER, there is one short story entitled GUTS that may have a negative effect on your physical being. Indeed, it's a well-known fact that this short story has caused over 70 people to faint during various live readings. This is just a warning to those that decide to read this novel.

I've heard about that, so I decided to look for it just now. Found it on Palahniuk's website. :thud:I have to say, I can understand why some people fainted, although while reading it, it's awfully hard to not chuckle at some bits. :eek2: Incidently, I recently read a news article about that happening to some young girl. :lol:

Lastly, Palahniuk's most recent novel, Rant, is perhaps his best work since Fight Club. Thematically, it may surpass Fight Club.

Ok, you've sold me. :o I did see it in the library a few times, but always hesitated picking it up, because I wasn't too keen on his other recent books. Once I get through my current load of books, I'll definitely give it a go.

Ok, you've sold me. :D I did see it in the library a few times, but always hesitated picking it up, because I wasn't too keen on his other recent books. Once I get through my current load of books, I'll definitely give it a go.

Please do. In fact, I both urge and encourage others on this board to read Rant as well. Even if you have never read a Chuck Palahniuk novel, I can assure you that reading through this book has many rewards. Also, it would lead to some engrossing discussions...

SYNOPSIS:

"RANT takes the form of a fictional oral history of Buster “Rant” Casey, in which an assortment of friends, enemies, admirers, detractors, and relations have their say about this evil character, who may or may not be the most efficient serial killer of our time.

Buster Casey was every small kid born in a small town, searching for real thrills in a world of video games and action/adventure movies. The high school rebel who always wins (and a childhood murderer?), Rant Casey escapes from his hometown of Middleton for the big city and becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing, where on designated nights the participants recognize each other by dressing their cars with tin-can tails, “Just Married” toothpaste graffiti, and other refuse, then look for designated markings in order to stalk and crash into each other. It’s in this violent, late-night hunting game that Casey meets three friends. And after his spectacular death, these friends gather the testimonies needed to build an oral history of his short life. Their collected anecdotes explore the charges that his saliva infected hundreds and caused a silent, urban plague of rabies…

Expect hilarity and horror, and blazing insight into the desperate and surreal contemporary human condition as only Chuck Palahniuk can deliver it. He’s the postmillennial Jonathan Swift, the visionary to watch to learn what’s – uh oh – coming next."

I read 'Fight Club' and I thought it was amazing, I have not read any of his other books, but I have always planned to. x

• 1 year later...

I saw the film Fight Club with my friend Claire and we thought it was AMAZING!

I then brought the book to read and she brought Chuck!

I read Fight Club and thought it was brilliant, and she read Chuck and said that was brilliant!

We have now swapped over the books to read :)

We will probably buy his others soon too and then do more swaps :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've only read Survivor so far although i have Diary and Haunted still to read.

I thought it was really good as an introduction to him. A neat attention grabber was the way that chapters were numbered in reverse order as he counted down to the end of his story. Chucks writing style is very short, choppy sentences however i laughed out loud a good few times whilst reading the book. Although i think the actual plot maybe a little more relevant to Americans (home of the tel-evangelist) the book still has a point to make about sanitising religion, making it appeal to the lowest common denominator (albums, action figures, books etc)

I would definitely recommend the book to anyone on the fence about Mr Palahniuk.

• 6 months later...

Palahniuk is one of my favorite writers.

I think that his books are for strong stomachs, especially "Haunted" (in Italy the title is "Cavie" literally translated in english "Cavy").

I read:

Fight club

Haunted

Survivor

choke

I counsel starting with Fight Club...

Palahniuk is a writer who should be first understood and then read :lol:

He describes our society to perfection!

I have only read Fight Club and half of Haunted but FC is enough for me to consider him brilliant. I want to get onto the others :)

I really want to read Fight Club but the only edition I can find has the film tie-in cover with a horrible big red star about it being a motion picture or something (and it's not a sticker). I check for it every time I go into a bookshop, and all of Palahniuk's other books look very nice, but I refuse to buy this one until it's released in a nicer edition. :) Oh well, something to look forward to.

I have a really interesting edition, it's like someone's face kind of, well from what i can remember, since i moved in i have not rooted through my boxes of books :)

I really enjoy old Chuck's stuff, but find the nihilism difficult to take after a while, so find I cannot read two of his novels in a row. I very much enjoyed Survivor, Choke, Fight Club and Haunted.

Has anyone tried the author Gken Duncan? He's marvellous as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I read Fight Club and found that Chuck possesses a charming style: his minimalistic tone-of-voice is nearly dialogue-like, which gives his writing an informal feel; but still he retains power in his words that makes for dynamic one-liners. In terms of such styles, Chuck's is one of the most enviable around; however my tastes tend to lean towards the more formal and less colloquial, so I can only enjoy Palahniuk to a certain degree.

I have read a few chuck books over the years, Fight Club, Non-fiction, Rant

Rant was very strange, I liked it a lot just because it was so..out there. I also loved the concept of a mother putting sharp objects into peoples food so they "enjoy it more"

I love Chuck Palahniuk's writing and have read quite a few of his novels. Fight Club, Rant, Choke, Diary, Non-fiction and Haunted. I have Lullaby and Survivor on my bookshelves to be read. My favourite by far is Haunted and I recommend it to everyone.

I always find that there's at least one point in Chuck's novels where my stomach turns and I feel nauseous. In Haunted it was obviously the short story Guts, in Rant it was the part where (I think it's Halloween)

he replaces the fake brain and blood etc with the real article and people are picking at the buffet which is smeared in real blood and organs.

In The Diary the part where

Peter Wilmot has pierced his nipple with a brooch through his jumper

......*heave!!* Dare I go on??!!..........

I also have really bad nightmares while reading his work....my brain is clearly disturbed by the information I'm giving it!! haaa! I agree with Mac that it's difficult to read two books in a row too :)

• 5 months later...

Palahniuk's writing style is one that is so obviously unique that it's hard not to respect him. There are many qualities of his stories I enjoy, particularly that I always find ideas in his books that I've thought in the back of my head before, but could never express in words.

So far, I've read Fight Club, Survivor, Diary, Haunted, and Choke. Next on my list is Invisible Monsters.

My favourite by far is Haunted and I recommend it to everyone.

Same here - Haunted has probably had the largest effect on me out of his books. I'm surprised to find someone else who favors it as well; most choose Fight Club.