I watch therefore I am: seven movies that teach us key philosophy lessons

pontalba

I came across this article in the Guardian, and really appreciated the interpretations that were made of these films.  I've seen only 4 of them.

It's A Wonderful Life

Ida

Memento

Galaxy Quest

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/apr/14/force-majeure-films-philosophy-memento-ida-its-a-wonderful-life?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I'd like to find the others and see now. :)

It was interesting to see the value they put on Galaxy Quest, as I know it can be viewed as a simple bit of fluff........and it is to a great extent. But the other feelings about truth and dignity that are put across are powerful in their own way. 

And if made me look at Ida in a bit of a different light as well. 

Of them, only It's a wonderful life. 

But there are many other films out there that can answer these questions just as good, and other questions. 
Even Disney movies. Or should I say especially movies for the whole family? They're usually the ones with life lessons and a message "hidden" in them. 

But I will definitely put these on my "to see" list. At least Force Majeure because it's a famous Swedish flick. 

Ida, Gattaca and Memento also seem good enough to watch.

Galaxy Quest didn't seem at all appealing at first glance. Star Trek meets Tim Allen? Shriek! But then again, there's also Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver and Tony Shalhoub to level the scale. 

Of them, only It's a wonderful life. 

But there are many other films out there that can answer these questions just as good, and other questions. 

Even Disney movies. Or should I say especially movies for the whole family? They're usually the ones with life lessons and a message "hidden" in them. 

But I will definitely put these on my "to see" list. At least Force Majeure because it's a famous Swedish flick. 

Ida, Gattaca and Memento also seem good enough to watch.

Galaxy Quest didn't seem at all appealing at first glance. Star Trek meets Tim Allen? Shriek! But then again, there's also Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver and Tony Shalhoub to level the scale. 

Oh, no doubt about it!  Scads of other films that are just as capable.  This was just a sampling, but interesting. 

Well, I am a Star Trek the original series (TOS) from the beginning, so that was why I originally wanted to see GQ.  But the twist this article put on the actions and emotions in the film are very true.  Teaching a good lesson in a subliminal manner. :)

Oh, Memento is certainly a lovely twisty film, so well done!  And we both enjoyed Ida tremendously.  It's very low key, but powerful.  And I definitely want to see Force Majeure and Gattaca.

Oooh, really like what it says about Its A Wonderful Life. That's a great film, and the question about the unexamined life is a really good one.

Haven't seen most of the others, except Memento.

I really want to watch Memento again, for the 4th time....... :D  If you liked Memento, perhaps you'd like Inceptionhttp://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inception  Gotta love the Nolan brothers!

Have you read the short story Memento?  Different, but most interesting. http://www.impulsenine.com/homepage/pages/shortstories/memento_mori.htm

Edited by pontalba

I've only seen "wonderful life" & "Galaxy Quest", but I have to say that, after reading the article, I want to see all of them! 

I agree with what's been said above; a lot of family movies have a lot to say about human existance. What makes the best examples of this is the fact that because they usually do so in an entertaining way, we don't feel like we are being preached to.  And not just films: I aways think of that episode of the original series of Star Trek that was about racism. The population of a planet destroyed each other simply because one half were black on the left-hand side on their faces, white on the other. The other half of the population were white on the left hand side, black on the right. That, for me has always been one of the appealing aspects of sci-fi: it's ability to act as a metaphor or parable of real life.

The only film I've watched from the list was Galaxy Quest. I'm familiar with It's a Wonderful Life and Gattaca because we watched clips of both in school assemblies and I can definitely see the philosophical aspects of those but I'm not so sure about the Galaxy Quest argument. I do agree with Susan Haack when she writes that the film can be used to raise questions about the difference between the real and imaginary, as well as the difference between fiction and lies. But then it did make me think that if we follow that line of argument could we not say that every film, or every work of fiction in any medium for that matter, is equally a part of that philosophical question?

Also, although it's been a long time since I saw the film, I feel like the importance of Galaxy Quest probably doesn't lie (no pun intended) in the question of fiction vs. lies, but in the ability of the ordinary to become extraordinary when the need arises. The characters in the film don't believe they can be of any use because they are 'only' actors, 'only' human but they push beyond their own expectations to achieve something they never thought was possible.

That, for me has always been one of the appealing aspects of sci-fi: it's ability to act as a metaphor or parable of real life.

I completely agree Ian, this is one of the greatest aspects of both sci-fi and fantasy :smile: