Far From The Madding Crowd 2015

vodkafan

From the trailer this looks simply awful. The  Bethsheaba character as played by Carey Mulligan looks totally wrong in her speech and manners, a modern woman just stuck in a period dress. A real 19th century woman who smirked and joked like that with the likes of male farm labourers and employees would soon lose all respect from both sexes, let alone have posh blokes chasing after her.

I think it will be terrible but no doubt modern audiences will lap it up and it will make lots of dosh. 

Trailer #2 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_9AFwMDmQ&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Edited by vodkafan

A real 19th century woman who smirked and joked like that with the likes of male farm labourers and employees would soon lose all respect from both sexes, let alone have posh blokes chasing after her.

This made me laugh :D

I won't be rushing to see the film but on the plus side seeing it mentioned did remind me to add the book to my to-read list!

I like Carey as an actress (thought she was excellent in Bleak House) and I quite like the look of this. Bathsheba was very headstrong and did behave with impropriety at times so that would be in keeping .. she's not Emma Woodhouse! She gave all three of her suitors encouragement or reason to believe they could be successful with her so she was a definite minx .. though unintentionally I think.

I hope it'll be good anyway :) Michael Sheen is in it .. it must be good :D

Edited by poppyshake

This looks brilliant, I cannot wait to see this. Bathsheba is exactly how I imagined her - very headstrong. I hope the film does Hardy's book justice - it's one of my favourite books.

Edited by Angury

I quite like the look of it. I like both Carey Mulligan and Michael Sheen (love him, in fact!), and when I read the book, Bathsheba struck me almost as a woman out of her own time, and certainly ahead of it. I'm interested in seeing it. :)

Thomas Hardy is one of my favourite authors and did seem to have a penchant for strong women. On the face of it I'm not sure about Carey Mulligan in the lead role but the proof is in the pudding and so I'll definitely be going to see it! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is anyone else in the UK irritated that on the advert for it on the television, they say it's out on "May 1st" instead of "May the 1st", or more correctly for the UK, "the 1st of May"? :shrug:

Yes, that would bug me too. :)

I am a voice crying in the wilderness...... :doh:

Aw, poor James.  :empathy: :)

Anybody seen it yet then?

I'm not sure if it has been released here yet. I'm interested in seeing it, but not enough to pay an exorbitant amount of money at the cinema. I'll wait until it's shown on TV.