Colouring for Adults

Kylie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of Johanna Basford's are like garden scenes - would it help if I took a couple of photos of my copy, and sent them to you, show you what they're like?

That would be great Michelle as I could show them to my mum. Thank you, and no rush with it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed there are now some apps available for smartphones and tablets for colouring in, but that seems to defeat the object to me.  I imagine the whole point of it is to relax and get some slow time where you take your time to physically colour in sections neatly between the lines, and that these apps are just select and area then select a colour to fill it with, which speeds up the process and doesn't give you that time to relax your mind and concentrate on the repetitive nature of colouring in by hand. :dunno:

Wow, I had no idea there were apps for that. I don't think it's quite the same as physically colouring it in. That said, I once coloured in an amateuristic black-and-white digital comic my ex made, and that was allright to do. But I don't think it's the same feel as colouring it in physically.

I've noticed there are now some apps available for smartphones and tablets for colouring in, but that seems to defeat the object to me.  I imagine the whole point of it is to relax and get some slow time where you take your time to physically colour in sections neatly between the lines, and that these apps are just select and area then select a colour to fill it with, which speeds up the process and doesn't give you that time to relax your mind and concentrate on the repetitive nature of colouring in by hand. :dunno:

This was advertised for the Kindle Fire today and it's actually pretty awesome for me!  I mentioned earlier that I do things in short spurts because doing something longer makes me nervous, but I like envisioning the color on the pages, its just the tediousness of the actual coloring doesn't calm me, it frustrates me... but I still like looking at the patterns and thinking of the colors!  I should actually check it out- thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've read two different articles today about the effects of the colouring trend. :)

According to Buzzfeed, 'Sales of physical books increased for the first time for five years in 2015, driven in part by the adult colouring book craze...Sales of paper books rose 8.5% in 2015, the first sales spike in five years, according to new figures provided to BuzzFeed News...E-book sales increased 3.1% to £362 million, meaning the pace of growth in paper books was more than twice as fast'.

Then I read that the '300 per cent sale growth in adult pencils and colouring books has created a global shortage' in pencils.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I'm working on an article for a magazine on the adult coloring craze and I'm looking for some brief quotes/opinions on the benefits of coloring.  

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to answer a few basic questions?

It would be much appreciated! 

• 2 months later...

They sound good, Bobby. I love mandalas.

Johanna Basford has two new books coming out this year: Magical Jungle, which will be published in August, and Johanna's Christmas, which will be published in October.

They sound good, Bobby. I love mandalas.

Johanna Basford has two new books coming out this year: Magical Jungle, which will be published in August, and Johanna's Christmas, which will be published in October.

Thanks! I'm trying to collect all her books!

Thanks! I'm trying to collect all her books!

Me too! :)

(Although I must admit I haven't been able to bring myself to colour them in yet...but I will, one day!)

Me too! :)

(Although I must admit I haven't been able to bring myself to colour them in yet...but I will, one day!)

I can't bring myself to color them either :P

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad I found this thread.  Are any of you still using your colouring books?

I've had my eye on the colouring books from Johanna Basford for absolute ages but have always resisted buying them, but after my reading slump (which I'm thankfully coming out of now) and the fact that work drives me crazy sometimes I've decided to give the whole 'colouring as a way to relax' thing a go.  I've ordered all four of the ones she has out from Amazon (and pre-ordered the Christmas one) - what can I say they all look amazing and I couldn't pick just one so figured I'd get them all.  I'm planning on using my week off next week to completely relax, alternating between reading, colouring and binge watching all my old favourite shows.  Sounds like bliss to me.

Anyone feel like sharing some pictures of their artwork?

I got one last Christmas, and I coloured a few pictures but honestly colouring pencils are too light/washed out looking and markers are too heavy, so nothing I coloured ever looked good and I gave up trying. I'd swear colouring pencils were better when I was a kid :giggle: