Colouring for Adults

Kylie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found a set of Derwent Studio pencils yesterday, and went to get out my copy of Shaun Tan's Metropolis, but it's just too nice to colour in!  The way it's designed, it's one long sheet of card that's folded up in the book, and you unfold it to give you two pictures on either side of the page, but because it's just two big pictures, I feel like I would spoil it if I colour it in.  I'm definitely going to have a look for one of the Johanna Basford books next time I'm near a bookshop though. :)

• 1 month later...

Two months later and I FINALLY have my very own Enchanted Forest coloring book! I've been watching amazon.com since the beginning of this topic and its always been out of stock. I called Barnes and Noble only to be told the same thing. I would have preferred to order it off amazon because its less expensive but at this point, I just wanted it in my hand. So, imagine my surprise when I went into Barnes and Noble Saturday to find ONE copy! I pounced on it and had them hold it for me til yesterday. Added to the good fortune of finding the book I also happened to go on a day when my former coworker (I used to work at this store) let me use her club membership!

I'm truly a happy lady!  Oh, did you know they come in small notebooks? Three to a pack with The Secret Garden, Enchanted Forest and I forgot the name of the other. Anyway its a three pack that looks to be about 5x7. They are adorable and convenient as you can stick them in your purse, but I imagine the print might be more than my poor eyesight can stand.

Have fun :)! I saw some colouring books in a shop last month, and was sorely tempted. However, with my limited amount of patience and my trouble of doing anything really finely with my hands (small movements for crafts), I wasn't sure if I'd actually end up colouring much. But I was very tempted! (still, it was better for my wallet that way).

Thanks Gaia!

I completely understand. As much as I love my coloring book I can't spend too much time on it, I do a little and stop. I have yet to complete a picture but it's just nice to know that when I am ready, it will be there! I've been introducing them to my coworkers at the law firm I work at. One of the partners was so intrigued that he said he's going to go get one for himself, lol!

You guys are tempting me to try this out. I used to love to color when i was a kid, and I work with my mom at a preschool a couple weeks every summer where I occasionally get to enjoy coloring pages. What would everyone recommend as a place to start? Like which coloring books are good/enjoyable?

Edit: Ok so I've found some pencils and book I want. But I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend $25 total on them.  :blush2:

Edited by BSchultz19

I've got many of the books mentioned on my Amazon wishlist, as well as a set of colored pencils. I'm planning on ordering them as soon as we have some extra money. :)

Can anyone who is old enough remember the name of a series of geometric colouring books that used to be around in the early 1980s? 

I'm pretty sure the name of the series began with an "A" but I'm not sure! 

Any clues would be good, because - if my memory serves - they are way better than anything that I've seen during this latest colouring craze.

Edit: Ok so I've found some pencils and book I want. But I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend $25 total on them.  :blush2:

Ooh, which book have you chosen?

Echo, let us know how it goes when you get it! :)

Can anyone who is old enough remember the name of a series of geometric colouring books that used to be around in the early 1980s? 

I'm pretty sure the name of the series began with an "A" but I'm not sure! 

Any clues would be good, because - if my memory serves - they are way better than anything that I've seen during this latest colouring craze.

I did a quick search and found one from the mid 70s...could this be it (or rather, one from the series)?

post-3835-0-67512400-1434799426_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After months of watching Johanna Basford's Secret Garden on Amazon, waiting for it to come in stock, it finally did!!  I ordered it for July 7th's stocking.  I'm not even sure I want to color in it, I am just glad to own such a beautiful book.

Ooh, which book have you chosen?

Echo, let us know how it goes when you get it! :)

I did a quick search and found one from the mid 70s...could this be it (or rather, one from the series)?

attachicon.gif7e28ede58e2ecffaf9f65f2b03738d23.jpg

I got a book that was just called Stress Relieving coloring for Adults or something like that. It has some nice patterns in it. :D

Given the soaring popularity of Johanna Basford's books, I've been wondering if she's been feverishly working on her next book to satisfy demand. Looks like I was right, as she has just announced the October 2015 release of her next book, Lost Ocean. As to be expected, it looks beautiful!!

post-3835-0-38283800-1436345482_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Abby for bringing this to my attention on Facebook. :)

I'm not sure if they are the ones, the patterns look similar but the name doesn't sound familiar.

I had a look in Amazon about Altair Designs, and these do look very similar to the geometric patterns I loved/obsessed in the mid 70s.  I'll have to wait for the postman to deliver soon, as I ordered the Pattern Pad Book 1  :exc:

• 3 months later...

Hey y'all colorists! I'm working on creating an adult coloring book and have a question for you... The shapes I create that form the designs that make up my patterns/pictures aren't meant to look heavily outlined. They are not as intricate as "The Secret Garden"...more simplistic. If I were to use varying grays (some really light and some medium range), instead of the traditional solid black lines would that be unappealing to you to color? In other words, even though I envision my designs "lineless" once colored in, would you prefer heavy black lines no matter what? Here's what I mean...

Thanks for your suggestions!

post-13766-0-29935000-1446781958_thumb.jpg

One of my friends had a gorgeous book a few years ago, before the whole adult colouring craze took off, which had loads of lovely Celtic designs in.  I've always found colouring very therapeutic myself, but haven't got any books yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, hoping somebody can help me with this. My mam wants a colouring book for Christmas, but she wants a landscape one, not a pattern one. Apparently someone said to her at work you can get landscape ones. Has anyone seen any adult colouring books that are a bit more landscapey than Johanna Basford's, and if so where? Or are any of Johanna's more landscapey than their covers imply? Thanks!

^ Did a little search and found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Mindfulness-Landscapes-Joe-Bright/dp/0007947496/ref=oosr

Edit: If you scroll down the page, you can see more of the pictures. But there are pages with mindfulness sentences and stuff so I don't know, maybe that might not be the thing you're looking for. 

Edited by frankie