Colouring for Adults

Kylie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got one last Christmas, and I coloured a few pictures but honestly colouring pencils are too light/washed out looking and markers are too heavy, so nothing I coloured ever looked good and I gave up trying. I'd swear colouring pencils were better when I was a kid :giggle:

I've been searching on Instagram for inspiration and there are some seriously talented colouring artists on there who seem to work wonders with shading and what not.  I somehow doubt mine are going to be anywhere near as good as them, but I'm looking forward to trying.  I don't think I'm going to try markers though, I'd be worried they would leak through to the other side.

I've seen Mandala but always wondered what it is, and what's the difference between that and other colouring books?

Well, to quote from the Wikipedia page:

A mandala (Sanskrit: मण्डल, lit, circle) is a spiritual and ritual symbol in Indian religions, representing the universe.[1] In common use, "mandala" has become a generic term for any diagram, chart or geometric pattern that represents the cosmos metaphysically or symbolically; a microcosm of the universe.

The basic form of most mandalas is a square with four gates containing a circle with a center point. Each gate is in the general shape of a T.[2][3] Mandalas often exhibit radial balance.[4]

I used to have a friend in primary school, her mum made mandalas (sometimes her mum made them for us and we'd colour them). I've always thought they were quite pretty. I've made a basic one myself, back when I was a child and my friend's mother taught us how to do it (of course, now I don't quite remember everything).

Google Images shows me some nice mandalas to colour.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I decided to give colouring a try and was surprised by how much I liked it! I printed some free mandalas off the internet, and have coloured two of them now. I only had a couple of coloured pencils, which I used to colour the first mandala. I then bought a new set of colouring pencils, to have more variety of colours. I've also pre-ordered Patterns of the Wheel, a colouring book based upon The Wheel of Time series, it's got lots of nice symbols and patterns to colour (plus, it is released on my birthday, so it seemed like a sign). I really enjoyed colouring these two mandalas so I plan to colour more of them (I've printed a few, you can find a lot of them online for free).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I just wanted to say Johanna Basford is coming out with a new colouring book, called Ivy and the Inky Butterfly. It's going to be a combination of a story and colouring, and comes out 12 October 2017 (on Amazon UK), so in about a month and a week. I found out via the YouTube video she made about it (which was actually a FaceBook Live video first) (warning: she flips through the colouring book so if you like to be more surprised, don't watch the whole video).