Green Metropolis

Janet

According to another forum, they are supposed to be emailing all their members about it. I assume I'm still a member, but I haven't used it to for some time now - I can't remember if I had any money still 'banked' there! 

I would imagine it wasn't being used much - as some on the other forum said, the increase in postage meant it wasn't really cost effective.

It seems a shame, but then I only used it occasionally - either in lieu of sending a book to someone as a gift or if it was something difficult to get hold of, so I didn't actually help to keep it going!  I don't know if I had any credit on the site as I didn't get an email either, but if I did it wouldn't have been much.

Thanks. :)

I used to use it a lot, but I suppose rising postage costs have made it cost-prohibitive for members to use - I certainly haven't used it in some time. Also, there was sometimes unreliability with people sending books or they came in a much poorer condition than listed, because I suppose it's all subjective. To me, an as-new copy would look like it had literally just been bought and looked completely unread, and if I listed a book as being as-new, that's how it was. If there was a slight mark anywhere on it, then it would be listed as excellent, with a note on why it wasn't as-new, etc. Not all members were so conscientious though, although I only ever had one or two problems that way personally. It's a shame if it's closing though.

• 6 months later...

I used to belong to this site too, and I think the combination of rising postage, possibly fewer physical books being passed on with Kindle becoming more popular, and maybe more people going to charity shops and other online used book stores also forced it to close.  I did buy a few books from them, and didn't have too many problems, but I think it was possibly the postage issue which was the main thing.