• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     

Hi, I'm Lucie, and I've been posting for the past week or so without introducing myself, so can I just say:

- I tend to overuse the comma

- I have a habit of reading several books at once (one in my bag for the commute, one for bedtime reading, one for lazy lie-in mornings...)

- My current favoured themes are: modern AND not-so-modern Chinese and Japanese fiction, anything by Alexander McCall Smith set in Edinburgh, small town Americana (and Canadiana, of course :)), forensic textbooks, accident and emergency escapades, dead people, food fiction and no-fic, biogs of psycho serial killers, and anything creepy and likely to make me double bolt my door at night...

Hiya Princes Orchid - I'm another who's getting into all things oriental, loves a good psycho between the book covers and is on the ever-on-going search for a book that will completely creep me out!

Hope you'll enjoy it here. :)

hello princess orchid, looks like you'll fit in very well here.

Sounds like you have found the perfect home....welcome to the board:D

Hi Lucie - loved your introduction. I'm guilty of overusing the '-' myself!

Hope you enjoy the many discussions that go on on this forum - it's a friendly place.

Judy

Hi, I'm Lucie, and I've been posting for the past week or so without introducing myself, so can I just say:

- I have a habit of reading several books at once (one in my bag for the commute, one for bedtime reading, one for lazy lie-in mornings...)

- My current favoured themes are: modern AND not-so-modern Chinese and Japanese fiction, anything by Alexander McCall Smith set in Edinburgh, small town Americana (and Canadiana, of course :D), forensic textbooks, accident and emergency escapades, dead people, food fiction and no-fic, biogs of psycho serial killers, and anything creepy and likely to make me double bolt my door at night...

Well old girl you wouldn't mind popping off to : http://www.specialx.net/specialxbbs/ There ever so nice people there....erm, :o I'm there, somewhere, too. :eek2:

But enough of me, belated a warm welcome to the site you'll really have the time of your life. With :bookworm:s all here. :lol:

fireball, you're not really sending new members to other forums, are you?! :D

Lucie, I hope you enjoy it here. Like Kell I'm always looking for something creepy, so do you have any recommendations?

:o Hiya Lucie, :D to the forum.

I'm guilty of that too. :eek2: Often when I preview my post before posting it, I find I have to take out about half the commas. Same with exclamation points too! I find myself ending alot of my sentences with them! (Case in point! :lol:)

:eek2::lol::lol: Not really Michelle, just responding to :

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Orchid

one for bedtime reading, one for lazy lie-in mornings...)

- My current favoured themes are: modern AND not-so-modern Chinese and Japanese fiction, anything by Alexander McCall Smith set in Edinburgh, small town Americana (and Canadiana, of course ),:D forensic textbooks, accident and emergency escapades, dead people, food fiction and no-fic, biogs of psycho serial killers, and anything creepy and likely to make me double bolt my door at night...

Actually police procedural Canadian style is

in Slade, oh and the odd dead body too..!

In ways book club form is rather like http://www.specialx.net/specialxbbs/ in ways, I got at least one from special X to join here.! :o 'Nuff said. :)

Hello and a big welcome.

Can't say I share your enthusiam for scary stuff (am very much a coward), but I have read one 'Oriental' book that I enjoyed. At least I think that was the word, but it was very sad and really made me think. It was Falling Leaves Return to Their Roots: The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah. Have you read it?

Enjoy the forum.

Pp