What's Up in April? - 2015

Athena

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in the vegetable garden today. Planted  4 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, and 2 eggplants I also planted 2 rows of green beans.

What, already? Is the weather warmer where you are?  I mean.. I have tomato, pepper, jalapeno plants and some green been plants but here you can't plant them out till every risk of night frost is gone, which means after 15th of may.. Called the what, "ice saints?"" here... but I do love gardening, and especially the veggie stuff. Have thyme, strawberries, peppers, paprika, tomatoes, green beans, snow peas, sugarsnaps, redcurrant, rubus/bramble fruit,  blue/red grapes and I plan to plant pattypan squash and the edible physalis kind that tastes likepineapple. And maybe some more herbs..

What, already? Is the weather warmer where you are?  I mean.. I have tomato, pepper, jalapeno plants and some green been plants but here you can't plant them out till every risk of night frost is gone, which means after 15th of may.. Called the what, "ice saints?"" here... but I do love gardening, and especially the veggie stuff. Have thyme, strawberries, peppers, paprika, tomatoes, green beans, snow peas, sugarsnaps, redcurrant, rubus/bramble fruit,  blue/red grapes and I plan to plant pattypan squash and the edible physalis kind that tastes likepineapple. And maybe some more herbs..

When I lived in Virginia, U.S. the last frost date was also mid-May and we shouldn't plant before then. I now live n North Carolina and the last frost date is mid-April so we can plant much earlier. I just now came back from the garden where I picked a bunch of spinach which we will have for salad with dinner tonight. Ahhh, it is good in the spring. :smile:

Edited by muggle not

We're off to the garden centre today, so OH will be picking out plants and bags of compost while I will be having tea in the café. Also need to get some shopping done and go to see my dad later on, and in between, fitting in some reading. Not a bad Saturday if I do say so myself. :smile2:

I will!  I love traveling and Amsterdam is my favorite place I've ever been to.

I recommend visiting some less populated parts of the country, if you haven't. It's very quiet and bucolic. I've never been out of North/South Holland, though. Are you visiting any other place outside the Netherlands?

In a month and 10 days, I will be traveling to Amsterdam for the 5th time!!  :yahoo:

Ooooh have the best time! :D

I've not been around much the last few days because I've not been feeling the best. Had a bit of an anxiety attack on Thursday when I was supposed to go meet a friend I've been talking to online for a couple of months - and I actually stood him up. I left him sitting in a cafe waiting for me for 30 minutes because I couldn't make myself walk out the door, and couldn't face texting him to tell him I wasn't going to make it. I wanted to go, but I also wanted to run a mile. I've never felt such a strong conflict of emotions simultaneously and I've never done anything like that to anyone before. I still feel horrifically bad about it. Talked to him about it and he was incredibly understanding and patient about it, didn't even get angry, but the fact that my anxiety made me do something so awful really upset and frustrated me and I spent the rest of that day in bed. Still not really feeling the best, and am very sad that I missed my opportunity to go see him. Determined to kick my anxiety in the butt next time I have a chance to go see him.

Today I just stayed in, read, and caught up on some reviews. :)

I recommend visiting some less populated parts of the country, if you haven't. It's very quiet and bucolic. I've never been out of North/South Holland, though. Are you visiting any other place outside the Netherlands?

Not this time, unfortunately, finances and all that.  But twice I have taken the train from Amsterdam to Paris, Belgium was gorgeous.  I had hoped to go to The Hague and see the North Sea, but I think I will just stay in the city.  There is a Matisse exhibit I am particularly looking forward to, as well as The Jewish Theater and Resistance Museum. 

Ooooh have the best time! :D

Determined to kick my anxiety in the butt next time I have a chance to go see him.

Today I just stayed in, read, and caught up on some reviews. :)

Thanks!  Too bad I am not closer to Cork :friends0: I am sorry you have been having such a hard time, that sounds awful.  I'm glad you were able to just take the day off.

BTW- Amazon has refunded me for the Kindle Fire they sent me, since the software issue with my old one.  Amazon is good in my standing again.  I also went with an Anker external battery and it is working wonderful in a test for the trip!

I finished planting my vegetable garden today. I now have seven tomato plants of which one is a cherry tomato.  I have 3 bell peppers,(sweet Pepper), 2 sweet banana peppers, 1 hot banana pepper, 2 jalapeno peppers, and 1 habanero pepper plant. I also planted the cucumbers seeds today. I grow them up a trellis to save space. Radishes will be ready soon and we are eating the spinach, having spinach salad again tonight....I love it. We put in some mandarin orange slices, some walnuts, and craisins. We use Newman "lite" raspberry walnut vinagraitte.:)

I'll be meeting up with Athena :)

:exc:

That is great. I hope you both have a wonderful time. Give her a hug for me.

Thanks Muggle Not :).

We're off to the garden centre today, so OH will be picking out plants and bags of compost while I will be having tea in the café. Also need to get some shopping done and go to see my dad later on, and in between, fitting in some reading. Not a bad Saturday if I do say so myself. :smile2:

I'm glad you had a nice Saturday :)

I've not been around much the last few days because I've not been feeling the best. Had a bit of an anxiety attack on Thursday when I was supposed to go meet a friend I've been talking to online for a couple of months - and I actually stood him up. I left him sitting in a cafe waiting for me for 30 minutes because I couldn't make myself walk out the door, and couldn't face texting him to tell him I wasn't going to make it. I wanted to go, but I also wanted to run a mile. I've never felt such a strong conflict of emotions simultaneously and I've never done anything like that to anyone before. I still feel horrifically bad about it. Talked to him about it and he was incredibly understanding and patient about it, didn't even get angry, but the fact that my anxiety made me do something so awful really upset and frustrated me and I spent the rest of that day in bed. Still not really feeling the best, and am very sad that I missed my opportunity to go see him. Determined to kick my anxiety in the butt next time I have a chance to go see him.

Awww, I'm so sorry you've felt so bad :(:empathy::friends0:

BTW- Amazon has refunded me for the Kindle Fire they sent me, since the software issue with my old one.  Amazon is good in my standing again.  I also went with an Anker external battery and it is working wonderful in a test for the trip!

Yay!

I finished planting my vegetable garden today. I now have seven tomato plants of which one is a cherry tomato.  I have 3 bell peppers,(sweet Pepper), 2 sweet banana peppers, 1 hot banana pepper, 2 jalapeno peppers, and 1 habanero pepper plant. I also planted the cucumbers seeds today. I grow them up a trellis to save space. Radishes will be ready soon and we are eating the spinach, having spinach salad again tonight....I love it. We put in some mandarin orange slices, some walnuts, and craisins. We use Newman "lite" raspberry walnut vinagraitte. :)

I hope all of your vegetables will grow well and that they will be delicious :)!

Both Michael and my mum now have the same illness I had last week. I'm pretty much recovered, other than my nose and throat. I'm doing Michael's share of chores too so this morning I've been doing a lot of cleaning, laundry etc, and I've also spent some time with my parents and sister (sister on the phone). Yesterday my brother was here briefly so I spent some time with him then. I've also been reading quite a bit, and I look forward to do more reading today. The weather is looking good. My grandparents were going to come by today but since my mum is ill and she doesn't want to infect my grandparents, they aren't visiting here now (my brother is having a house warming party, so they will just go to my brother instead, and my parents will go to my brother after my grandparents have left there. Originally they would go there with the four of them.) Also, it'll be a bit busy in Eindhoven (where my brother lives) because the soccer team from Eindhoven, PSV, has won the national championships, so today there's a parade to celebrate the victory.

Thanks!  Too bad I am not closer to Cork :friends0: I am sorry you have been having such a hard time, that sounds awful.  I'm glad you were able to just take the day off.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough few days, Noll.  :empathy: 

Awww, I'm so sorry you've felt so bad :(:empathy::friends0:.

Both Michael and my mum now have the same illness I had last week. I'm pretty much recovered, other than my nose and throat. I'm doing Michael's share of chores too so this morning I've been doing a lot of cleaning, laundry etc, and I've also spent some time with my parents and sister (sister on the phone). Yesterday my brother was here briefly so I spent some time with him then. I've also been reading quite a bit, and I look forward to do more reading today. The weather is looking good. My grandparents were going to come by today but since my mum is ill and she doesn't want to infect my grandparents, they aren't visiting here now (my brother is having a house warming party, so they will just go to my brother instead, and my parents will go to my brother after my grandparents have left there. Originally they would go there with the four of them.) Also, it'll be a bit busy in Eindhoven (where my brother lives) because the soccer team from Eindhoven, PSV, has won the national championships, so today there's a parade to celebrate the victory.

Thanks, ladies :friends0:

Yikes, sorry to hear there's so much illness going around, hope your grandparents avoid it!

DS came to me in the kitchen this morning wanting to know how much the cell phone bill was and how much it would cost felt reclaim the truck we turned in last month. So I asked "why, did you hit the lottery?" He looks me in the face and said "yes." I said "stop playing" and he said "I'm serious mom, I won the lotto."

He won $4,000.

What a way to start a Monday.

Just got home from work … earlier than I thought I would, so at least I get a decent evening at home, and time to sneak in a little reading before tea. :)

x

That sounds nice :)!

DS came to me in the kitchen this morning wanting to know how much the cell phone bill was and how much it would cost felt reclaim the truck we turned in last month. So I asked "why, did you hit the lottery?" He looks me in the face and said "yes." I said "stop playing" and he said "I'm serious mom, I won the lotto."

He won $4,000.

What a way to start a Monday.

Wow, that is amazing! Congratulations to him :).

I've been doing tons of things today, including chores, cleaning, dishes, phone calls and emails. I had an appointment with my ambulante hulp, and the constructor of the conservatory came over to fix the door and a couple of other things (which meant we had to keep a close watch on the dogs). I feel exhausted after having done so much and having so much input, both physically and mentally, so now I'm going to rest and try to read a bit (if I'm not too tired for that).

My granddaughter is running the Boston Marathon today. She started in Wave 2, Corral2. She also ran last year and did very well despite cramping up in the last 5+ miles and she later found that she also had a problem with her foot.

I hope she beats last years time. clear.png

Her current times:
Split time of day- -time diff- -------min/mile -miles/h
5K 10:47:49AM -   00:21:55 21:55 - 07:04 -     8.51
10K 11:09:20AM - 00:43:26 21:31-  06:56 --    8.67

Edited by muggle not

Her current times:
Split time of day- time diff  -           min/mile - miles/h
5K 10:47:49AM -     00:21:55 21:55 - 07:04 -     8.51
10K 11:09:20AM -   00:43:26 21:31 - 06:56 -     8.67

15K * 11:31:02AM- 01:05:09 21:43 -  07:00 -     8.59
20K * 11:52:45AM 01:26:52 21:43 07:00 8.59
HALF * 11:57:31AM 01:31:37 04:45 07:00 8.59
25K * 12:14:28PM 01:48:34 16:57 07:00 8.59
30K * 12:36:11PM 02:10:17 21:43 07:00 8.59
35K * 12:57:54PM 02:32:00 21:43 07:00 8.59
40K * 01:19:36PM 02:53:43 21:43 07:00 8.59
Finish Net * 01:29:08PM 03:03:15 09:32 07:00 8.59

Split time of day time diff min/mile miles/h

5K 10:47:49AM 00:21:55 21:55 07:04 8.51

10K 11:09:20AM 00:43:26 21:31 06:56 8.67

15K 11:31:02AM 01:05:09 21:43 07:00 8.59

20K 11:53:16AM 01:27:23 22:14 07:10 8.39

HALF 11:58:07AM 01:32:13 04:50 07:07 8.44

25K 12:15:47PM 01:49:53 17:40 07:18 8.24

30K 12:39:03PM 02:13:09 23:16 07:30 8.02

35K 01:03:02PM 02:37:09 24:00 07:44 7.77

40K * 01:25:29PM 02:59:35 22:26 07:14 8.31

Finish Net * 01:35:20PM 03:09:27 09:52 07:14 8.31

* estimated
Edited by muggle not

It's been a longish day at work today, although not as long as I was expecting, thankfully, but I did get loads done, so that was a success in my books. :)   Just catching up here before I go and sort myself out something to eat.

I need to sort myself out with some new clothes (I loathe clothes shopping, in fact, I loathe most shopping that doesn't involve books!) so might try and spend an hour trying to find something I like tonight … or I might just put it off for another day. :giggle2:

Woo-Hoo, my GD finished the Boston Marathon with pretty good results. clear.png :smile: 

place (M/W) 566 = Top 4% of 13751 women
place (ag) 488
place (total) 5307 = Top 17.5% all runners (30251)
time total (net) 03:13:14
time total (gun) 03:14:06

Edit: GD texted me that it was miserable running today. Windy, cold, and rainy and that she was shaking all over when she finished but she slightly beat last years time.

Edited by muggle not

Woo-Hoo, my GD finished the Boston Marathon with pretty good results. clear.png :smile: 

place (M/W) 566 = Top 4% of 13751 women

place (ag) 488

place (total) 5307 = Top 17.5% all runners (30251)

time total (net) 03:13:14

time total (gun) 03:14:06

Edit: GD texted me that it was miserable running today. Windy, cold, and rainy and that she was shaking all over when she finished but she slightly beat last years time.

Congratulations to your GD!! That is amazing of her :).

It's been a longish day at work today, although not as long as I was expecting, thankfully, but I did get loads done, so that was a success in my books. :) Just catching up here before I go and sort myself out something to eat.

I need to sort myself out with some new clothes (I loathe clothes shopping, in fact, I loathe most shopping that doesn't involve books!) so might try and spend an hour trying to find something I like tonight … or I might just put it off for another day. :giggle2:

I'm glad you got a lot of things done. I agree, book shopping is the best kind of shopping :D.

I've done some things this morning, and after browsing the forum I plan to sit down and do some reading and relaxing :). Yesterday was an exhausting day so I look forward to rest a bit.

Got a few days off work now, so looking forward to getting out in the fresh air to try and increase my walking distance.  Don't want to waste the days, so I'm going to try and keep busy (and I include reading as keeping busy :giggle2:).  Might go and visit some friends and family as well. :)