What's Up in April? - 2015

Athena

The afternoon didn't go quite as I'd hoped … spent half an hour on the phone to a company trying to sort out an issue, so didn't have time to get to the cafe before my hairdressers appointment, but then as it was a lovely afternoon, managed to get my dad out in the garden for an hour and before I know it, that afternoon's gone!  Will try to fit some reading in before tea, but got a few bits and pieces to do around the house first. :)

I'm glad you had fun with your dad and I hope you have a nice weekend :).

Last night at 2am I spotted a 'Digital Production' role with the Irish Times (reputable newspaper) which closed for applications yesterday. So, naturally, I threw a cover letter together as quickly as possible and submitted it, at 2am.

Worked, got a receipt email today. I won't get it, I don't have the experience, but if they at least called me for an interview it would be an experience and a challenge to my rusty hermit ways.

In other news, today is the first day I've started getting really riled up about the Marriage Referendum being held here in May 2015. Being that my friends are awesome (shots fired!) I've seen no opposition at all to the idea of same-sex marriage so far, but today I learned about a '7 Great Reasons to Keep Marriage As Is' leaflet circulating in the city and grrrrr. So I'm currently working on writing a letter addressed lately to people who claim same-sex couples would undermine or fundamentally change the nature of marriage. Apparently there's a newspaper publishing a lot of no-vote support, so people are planning to launch a counter to that.

That sounds like a nice job for you, it's a shame you think you probably won't get it but I hope they will at least call you in for an interview.

I find it hard to understand why people are against a same-sex marriage. Well done for you on supporting it! I didn't know Ireland didn't yet have a same-sex marriage law. I hope the vote will go in favour of same-sex marriages.

What I thought was hayfever yesterday turns out to be a bad cold or a flu. Since yesterday evening my nose has been blocked up and drippy, my throat has been hurting, my head has been hurting and my muscles feel weak. Ugh, I've been ill a lot in the past year, I didn't want to get ill again this 'soon'.

Edited by Athena

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to understand why people are against a same-sex marriage. Well done for you on supporting it! I didn't know Ireland didn't yet have a same-sex marriage law. I hope the vote will go in favour of same-sex marriages.

What I thought was hayfever yesterday turns out to be a bad cold or a flu. Since yesterday evening my nose has been blocked up and drippy, my throat has been hurting, my head has been hurting and my muscles feel weak. Ugh, I've been ill a lot in the past year, I didn't want to get ill again this 'soon'.

Welllllll. Yeah. This isn't the place for a discussion on it really beyond 'I personally support x', but basically - super Catholic country for a super long time. Values get embedded. That's essentially what it comes down to. We have Civil Partnerships, which only came in a few years ago, for same-sex couples, lacking 160 legal rights and protections by comparison with Civil Marriage.

Sorry you've got the flu :( That's horrible. I know the feeling, I go through phases like that each year where I just get very poorly with colds and flus. Hope it buggers off soon. :friends0:

Welllllll. Yeah. This isn't the place for a discussion on it really beyond 'I personally support x', but basically - super Catholic country for a super long time. Values get embedded. That's essentially what it comes down to. We have Civil Partnerships, which only came in a few years ago, for same-sex couples, lacking 160 legal rights and protections by comparison with Civil Marriage.

Sorry you've got the flu :( That's horrible. I know the feeling, I go through phases like that each year where I just get very poorly with colds and flus. Hope it buggers off soon. :friends0:

That makes sense, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks Noll :friends0:.

Just got back from a lovely trip down to Chesil Beach.  It was a gorgeous day - bright and sunny but still cool enough for a fleece.  Only had my camera phone with me, but really pleased with this panoramic photo I managed to take of the beach:

post-4870-0-67752100-1428763849_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kay, it was a fabulous day, and not too many people around on the beach … they were all in the cafe eating breakfast and cake! :lol:

Planning a fairly lazy day today … going to find somewhere quiet and comfy to read for most of it, although I do need to do a bit of housework, but I'll just try and fit that in between chapters. :D

That's a beautiful picture!

I hope you have some nice reading time today :).

I'm feeling a bit the same as yesterday, a bit better in some regards and a bit worse in others. Gladly though overall I'd say I'm not worse than yesterday, which is good I think as hopefully that means I should feel better in a few days or such.

Got some lovely news this morning - one of my favourite Canadian penpals may be moving to Scotland next year, so we might actually be able to meet when we go north at Easter as she plans to move to Inverness, which isn't too far from Aberdeen. :)

And my Grom is coming for Sunday dinner today, so I've been doing beef in gravy in the slow cooker ready for lunch. :)

Sheesh I really think I need to post here more but I just keep forgetting, usually visit my two cat forums that are easy, quick and mindless hehe..

My internship is going gooooood, finished my report introduction friday and sent it to my supervisor, who will be back tuesday from her convention in Las Vegas/holiday in her home country Poland. Then the real experiments can start, testing glues for meniscus repair on bits of bovine meniscus tissue. Am sick of reading, didn't think I'd ever say that but by reading I mean scientific articles.

In two weeks it's time for the Fantasy Fair and I can't wait!!!

That is nice news, I hope you two can meet up! Have you ever met her before?

I hope you enjoy your dinner with your extended family :).

Nope - we only "met" online a few months ago - we're both members of the same Outlander fan/penpal group. :)

Sheesh I really think I need to post here more but I just keep forgetting, usually visit my two cat forums that are easy, quick and mindless hehe..

My internship is going gooooood, finished my report introduction friday and sent it to my supervisor, who will be back tuesday from her convention in Las Vegas/holiday in her home country Poland. Then the real experiments can start, testing glues for meniscus repair on bits of bovine meniscus tissue. Am sick of reading, didn't think I'd ever say that but by reading I mean scientific articles.

In two weeks it's time for the Fantasy Fair and I can't wait!!!

I'm glad your internship is going well! And yes, reading scientific articles can get tedious, I completely agree (at least in the area of chemistry and physics). I hope you have fun at the fair :)

Nope - we only "met" online a few months ago - we're both members of the same Outlander fan/penpal group. :)

Ah, it should be exciting to meet "in real life" then! I've met people I knew from "online" several times, it's actually how I met my boyfriend first too. At first it can be a bit scary but soon, at least in my experience, you'll recognise that they are the person that you know from their writings and it'll be a lot of fun (hopefully). I wish you a lot of fun if you do meet up in the future :)!

Went to church this morning and had a great time then came home, got ds's car and went to the commissary to buy some local honey and vitamins. Its funny that I can't find local honey at the local health food stores and grocery shops but I can find them on a military base. Go figure. Now I'm home and about to work on the taxes as 15 April is the deadline. Since we never get anything I don't rush to do it but as its needed by tomorrow for our son's financial aid for school, I need to get it done today. When its done, I'm going to take a nice restorative nap!

I've managed to achieve the lazy day I was planning! :D  Went out for coffee this morning, and had a good session of reading, then did my shopping for my lunches for the next few days at work, and then back for reading, lounging and general laziness.  It's been a lovely weekend … shame it has to end, really.  Ah well, back to work tomorrow. :shrug:

Went to church this morning and had a great time then came home, got ds's car and went to the commissary to buy some local honey and vitamins. Its funny that I can't find local honey at the local health food stores and grocery shops but I can find them on a military base. Go figure. Now I'm home and about to work on the taxes as 15 April is the deadline. Since we never get anything I don't rush to do it but as its needed by tomorrow for our son's financial aid for school, I need to get it done today. When its done, I'm going to take a nice restorative nap!

I hope you enjoy(ed) your rest! 

I've managed to achieve the lazy day I was planning! :D  Went out for coffee this morning, and had a good session of reading, then did my shopping for my lunches for the next few days at work, and then back for reading, lounging and general laziness.  It's been a lovely weekend … shame it has to end, really.  Ah well, back to work tomorrow. :shrug:

I'm glad you had a lovely weekend :).

I worked in the vegetable garden today. Planted  4 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, and 2 eggplants I also planted 2 rows of green beans.

This sounds nice, I hope your vegetables will do well. Ours are doing allright for the most part.

I'm still ill so I've cancelled my appointment with the ambulante hulp. I hope I'll be better in a few days at least, I have another appointment coming up later this week, and I need to go to the doctor's as well because of a strange mark on my leg (it's been there for a while now).

My GD ( the GD that is a nurse and works at Johns Hopkins hospital) is going to run in the Boston Marathon again this year. The Marathon is on Monday, April20. She did very well last year even with some physical problems. I will track her progress during the race on the Boston Marathon website. She hasn't told me yet what her expectations are.

My GD ( the GD that is a nurse and works at Johns Hopkins hospital) is going to run in the Boston Marathon again this year. The Marathon is on Monday, April20. She did very well last year even with some physical problems. I will track her progress during the race on the Boston Marathon website. She hasn't told me yet what her expectations are.

Good luck to your GD :)!

I'm going to the doctor's today, hopefully though the mark on my leg is nothing dangerous.

You have such smart grandchildren!  What was it- a little extra candy from grandpa??  :giggle2: Oh no- that's to make them sweeter :smile:

I'm going to the doctor's today, hopefully though the mark on my leg is nothing dangerous.

Yes, let's hope it is nothing serious!

In a month and 10 days, I will be traveling to Amsterdam for the 5th time!!  :yahoo:

In a month and 10 days, I will be traveling to Amsterdam for the 5th time!!  :yahoo:

It isn't :), I've got some cream for it now and it should improve in 2 weeks, otherwise I have to come back the doctor said.

I wish you a wonderful time in Amsterdam, and I'm very excited you'll be visiting my country :exc:.

You have such smart grandchildren!  What was it- a little extra candy from grandpa??  :giggle2: Oh no- that's to make them sweeter :smile:

Wow! That s quite a journey. I also wish you a wonderful time.