Your Book Activity - April 2015

frankie

This is no April Fools, but a new book activity thread! How is it April already :o

What is your day's book activity?

I'm currently reading The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane. 

Some Emotithings have been culled.
Well, since that I have the 1 to 3 of the books to read, I have stopped reading the Ask Your Analyst book, as I can get it as a ebook later.  I'm pretty sure that all the Anastasia series will be worth it, as the way Lois writes them are hilarious 

That's a wise decision, putting AAYA on hold for the time being to read the the three other books first. I'm so excited for you :exc:

I did buy the Sam ebook, and it's only are shortish book . Well, that's my excuse.... 

Haha :D Well you don't need any excuses if you ask me :giggle2: Maybe when you're done with the Anastasia series and then get to the Sam book at some point, I'll have to cave and buy the books myself... That would be a good incentive! 

I wish I had a better cover, as it is truly hideous!   What were they thinking by putting that dreadful cover?!!  The cover of your book is good, but I see that the recent editions covers are a bit chick lit too, which is very sad too.
51UbpOTIcbL._SY90_.jpg
Which is much, much better. That 90s one was awful, as it does not show the character of Anastasia at all *FUME WITH ANGER*

I bought the last four books in the series only a few years ago, because I didn't know there were more than five books written! They never translated them into Finnish, and so I thought the series ended with book five. That's the cover I have, and the edition I have for the four English books. I don't like those covers  :hide:

Do you know, I actually e-mailed Lois Lowry when I found out there were more books to the series and when I was reading the books. I thanked her for the series and told her how freaking thrilled I had been to find more books to the series. That it was like having a reunion with a dear good friend from olden golden times. She replied! :smile2: She'd wanted to write more Anastasia books but the publishers said that it wouldn't be worth it, money-wise :( Blasted publishers!!!!!! 

Ooh yeah, I will PM you about these books, as there so many great bits!!  I love it when her parents look after the children and general household chores on different days - egalitarian ideas are great! 

Yes, there's a lot of political stuff there in the books :D But in a subtle way... :cool:

Edited by frankie

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thy thread be pinned! Thanks for noticing it's April :). I knew it was, but I didn't think of making new threads :blush2:.

I'm going to continue to read Do van Ranst - Dina 5-8: Dina is Terug! Omnibus, I finished book 5 yesterday and will hopefully start in book 6 later today. In other news I'm working on my three months reading update post, filling in the numbers and calculating percentages of my reading statistics (I do enjoy this :blush2:).

Thy thread be pinned! Thanks for noticing it's April :). I knew it was, but I didn't think of making new threads :blush2:.

Thanketh be thy name :lol: No worries, it doesn't take much effort to start a new thread :smile2: I did an April Fools trick to a friend and so I was very, very aware that it was a whole new month :D 

Yikes, we are through a quarter of the year ALREADY?!!  :o 

Do you know, I actually e-mailed Lois Lowry when I found out there were more books to the series and when I was reading the books. I thanked her for the series and told her how freaking thrilled I had been to find more books to the series. That it was like having a reunion with a dear good friend from olden golden times. She replied!  :smile2: She'd wanted to write more Anastasia books but the publishers said that it wouldn't be worth it, money-wise  :( Blasted publishers!!!!!!

Oooh, that's great that you emailed Lois Lowry about the Anastasia Krupnik series  :doowapstart: , but it is very disheartening to know that the publishers don't think that they are not worth it moneywise  :cry:  . *BIG SIGH* Publishers will produce awful crap about Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades Of Grey (or any copycat crap of the same genre) rather than publish Anastasia Krupnik books.... :banghead:

This is no April Fools, but a new book activity thread! How is it April already :o

Urgh, I always loath April fool, practical jokes - especially things like pulling the chair away as someone is about to sit down  :angry:  . That sort of 'joke' is just cruel and spiteful.

Now I have got that moan out of my system  :giggle2:  :blush2: ....

Started Sex and Stravinsky by Barbara Trapido today, but only read a few pages so far, so it's hard to tell if I will like it. I read her novel The Travelling Hornplayer last year, and it was ....meh.....it was okay, but ....it didn't entertain me very much. It's only a library ebook anyway. 

I have started reading House Rules but I'm still working on 11/22/63. I only started reading the other one because it is a lot easier to take to the pool, which I am doing every day this week. Both are going great :D

Finished Summer Term at St Clare's last night. Still reading and loving Campari for Breakfast and treasuring every word. Not far to go with Gone Girl .. not really enjoying it much though I do want to know how it ends. 

Just finished Michael Faber's The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories, a far more revealing set of stories around The Crimson Petal and The White than I anticipated. I particularly loved Faber's evocation of Victorian (and Edwardian) London.

Edited by willoyd

Early start to the read-a-thon for me today, starting with Celia.

There's an Alexander McCall Smith book on the Kindle daily deal today which I'm toying with … while I love some of his books, I haven't got on with others, so even though it's only 99p, I'm still in two minds as to whether to get it as I don't need another book on my TBR pile, but I do love some of his stories (although mostly ones in specific series). :shrug:  I've got all day to decide … :D

Urgh, I always loath April fool, practical jokes - especially things like pulling the chair away as someone is about to sit down  :angry:  . That sort of 'joke' is just cruel and spiteful.

I couldn't agree more! (I moaned about it in the "What's Up in April? - 2015" thread :P)

I have started reading House Rules but I'm still working on 11/22/63. I only started reading the other one because it is a lot easier to take to the pool, which I am doing every day this week. Both are going great :D

I quite liked House Rules, I hope you enjoy it too. I haven't yet read 11/22/63, I hope you enjoy that too. And wow a pool! Is it that warm there, or it is an indoors pool?

Just finished Michael Faber's The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories, a far more revealing set of stories around The Crimson Petal and The White than I anticipated. I particularly loved Faber's evocation of Victorian (and Edwardian) London.

I'm glad to hear you liked these stories :). I really liked the original book (The Crimson Petal and the White). 

I've finally finished Persuasion by Jane Austen and will be counting it towards Mach's tally. I can't see this being a re-read for me in the future. I'm moving on to The fault in our stars by John Green.

I really liked The Fault in Our Stars, I hope you like it too :)

I'm reading an omnibus of several books in the Dina series by Do van Ranst, called Dina is Terug! Omnibus (books 5-8). I've read books 6 and 7 yesterday, and I plan to read book 8 today (it's only 121 pages). I do like the purple font.

Oooh, that's great that you emailed Lois Lowry about the Anastasia Krupnik series   , but it is very disheartening to know that the publishers don't think that they are not worth it moneywise  . *BIG SIGH* Publishers will produce awful crap about Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades Of Grey (or any copycat crap of the same genre) rather than publish Anastasia Krupnik books.... 

It's really disheartening, like you said, that the publishers do not grasp the bigger picture. We were denied further novels in the epic series!! :( I didn't know/remember that the main character in FSoG is Anastasia... What a great analogy! Or is it analogy... Anyways, yep, to think that they'd publish that instead of more Anastasia K. books... The mind boggles :thud:

Urgh, I always loath April fool, practical jokes - especially things like pulling the chair away as someone is about to sit down  . That sort of 'joke' is just cruel and spiteful.

Those are mean tricks! I prefer the ones that don't harm the other person in anyway. This one time I moved the clocks to show that it was an hour later than it actually was. All the clocks at my house. My parents didn't even notice! :D I had to tell them I'd done it and then change them back. Bah :D

I'm glad you feel better now  :empathy:   :lol: And hey, I created a thread for the Anastasia books so we can discuss them there! :smile2:

As we don't buy each other Easter eggs, I decided to buy us a book instead this morning … my mum always used to buy me a book for Easter too. :)  I popped into the local bookshop and they had the paperback of Clare Balding's Walking Home, and as we both loved her first book, and listen to her Radio 4 walking programme, Ramblings, I thought it would make a good treat for us both. :smile2:

As we don't buy each other Easter eggs, I decided to buy us a book instead this morning … my mum always used to buy me a book for Easter too. :)  I popped into the local bookshop and they had the paperback of Clare Balding's Walking Home, and as we both loved her first book, and listen to her Radio 4 walking programme, Ramblings, I thought it would make a good treat for us both. :smile2:

Oh, I'd love to have a bookish tradition like that! :smile2: I don't buy myself Easter eggs, either. Or anyone else. I hope I don't offend anyone but Easter is my least favorite holiday, and the only good thing about it for me really is that one gets days off. :shrug: But if I had a bookish Easter tradition... :giggle2: I might change my mind!!

There's an Alexander McCall Smith book on the Kindle daily deal today which I'm toying with … while I love some of his books, I haven't got on with others, so even though it's only 99p, I'm still in two minds as to whether to get it as I don't need another book on my TBR pile, but I do love some of his stories (although mostly ones in specific series). :shrug:  I've got all day to decide … :D

I can relate to that. I tell myself to just buy it if it's only £0.99 but I still take hours to decide. :doh:

Oh, I'd love to have a bookish tradition like that! :smile2: I don't buy myself Easter eggs, either. Or anyone else. I hope I don't offend anyone but Easter is my least favorite holiday, and the only good thing about it for me really is that one gets days off. :shrug: But if I had a bookish Easter tradition... :giggle2: I might change my mind!!

It's not like I really need an excuse to buy a book … but it's a great excuse to buy a book!  Keeping up the family tradition. :smile2:  (She also used to get me a cassette tape or record too, I'm going to show my age here, but I definitely remember getting Adam and the Ants Kings of the Wild Frontier for Easter when I was about 10 :D)

Some Emoit thins removed

I couldn't agree more! (I moaned about it in the "What's Up in April? - 2015" thread )

:D  :friends3:

It's really disheartening, like you said, that the publishers do not grasp the bigger picture. We were denied further novels in the epic series!! :( I didn't know/remember that the main character in FSoG is Anastasia... What a great analogy! Or is it analogy... Anyways, yep, to think that they'd publish that instead of more Anastasia K. books... The mind boggles

Everytime I google 'Anastasia' I get the  :censored: FSOG one!! Before I didn't know that the FSOG woman was called Anastasia  :irked: .

Those are mean tricks! I prefer the ones that don't harm the other person in anyway. This one time I moved the clocks to show that it was an hour later than it actually was. All the clocks at my house. My parents didn't even notice! I had to tell them I'd done it and then change them back. Bah

Ah. you naughty little prankster!   :D  ;)

I'm glad you feel better now   And hey, I created a thread for the Anastasia books so we can discuss them there!

Yeah, I felt much better after my little rant  :giggle2: . And now there is Anastasia book thread  :e010: Anastasia!!  :e010:

I like that bookish 'tradition' :)!

I'm not offended at all, but I am curious what is your favourite holiday? I've never really thought about that myself, though I personally do enjoy Christmas more than Easter (that's not to say I don't enjoy Easter, but Christmas is more special). And back when I was younger there was Sinterklaas too, which was always fun. We also have 'Pinksteren' but since I'm not religious it's just a day off for my close family, we don't do anything special.

Being off work with too much access to the forum is bad news … a while back, Diane recommended a series of novels about quilting to me, and then today Virginia also recommended them.  So I thought I'd go back to the library and check if they had it, but they have lots of the books in the series, but not the first one … off I toddle back to check the Kindle edition and put it on my wish list, and the next think I know, I've clicked on Buy.  The Quilter's Apprentice is now on my Kindle :doh:

and the next think I know, I've clicked on Buy.  The Quilter's Apprentice is now on my Kindle :doh:

:giggle2: Those Kindles... just like Velcro.

I am beginning my morning, with the ending of The Giver.

I finished The Death House and loved it - not sure about the ending, but if it had ended slightly differently it would have been a 5 star read. Gonna try write up some reviews this evening, I've a couple to do.

Not sure what I'm going to read next! I have a borrowed book (thanks to the lovely Anna) but I also have a bit of time before that disappears off my Kindle so I might read something else before that... maybe the other suggestion I recently got from Weave - The 10pm Question. :)