Pearl S Buck "The Good Earth"

Princess Orchid

I read this book last year, and I loved it! I also felt a few tear prickling at a few parts.:D In my Research Writing class last winter, a girl in my class did her final paper on Pearl S. Buck and how The Good Earth is the most translated novel in the world. Our class's theme was Outlaw and Cult Authors...I wouldn't have put Buck in that category, but it makes sense considering both her tremendous following, and how often her book has been banned.

Anybody else read this? I'm fairly close to finished, and although I'm loving the book, a fair few bits elicited a sniffle or two from me! I was absolutely heartbroken when WL took on a mistress and allowed that awful slave woman into his house.

Whoa, I've not seen this title in decades!

Really good reading, he sure spoiled that mistress, didn't he?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually read this book in the 7th grade. The librarian had to find books for me because that year I tested at a college freshman reading level. Yes, I also wanted to slap the mistress, but I think what stuck with me the most in my impressionable years was the 'split upper lip'. I've carried chapstick on me ever since, no lie.

I completely forgot about this book until I came upon this thread.. Maybe I'll give one of his other books a whirl!