My Town

Kell

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I am very fortunate to live in a tiny wee fishing village in Mousehole (pronounced Mowsal) Cornwall. It is so called because the harbour entrance is the size of a mousehole. Fishermen abound and can be found at least three times a day down by the quay discussing all important issues like neep tides, mackerel catches (which incidentally are abundant where basking sharks do their basking) crabs, lobsters and who's not tied their boat up properly.

The land lies steep and twisted. Narrow, winding lanes suddenly become a sharp chicane then another vehicle comes in the opposite direction.

Also, watch out for the pretty hedgerows whereunder lies a Cornish granite brick wall. . . Ouch!

Our delicacies include Clotted Cream, Ice Cream made from Clotted Cream topped with Clotted Cream, scones topped with jam and Clotted cream, mackerel, john dory, pilchards, porbeagle shark without Clotted cream, Hevva cake, Saffron buns and of course Cornish Pasties which apparantly remain intact if dropped down a mine shaft.

The natives are reasonably friendly but don't be alarmed if they greet you with calls of "A'rrrighttt my luvverrrr?" when enquiring after your welfare.

Our main crime is pilfering which is controlled by the local gang of seagulls who descend from nowhere on the least suspecting suspects.

It's a super place to live in! :D

My home town at present is:

Clydebank

My husband and I have lived here for almost 5 years now. I was brought up in the next town to Clydebank and my husband was raised 10 miles from Clydebank.

Clydebank is interesting due to its shipbuilding history and the famous Clydebank bombings during the second world war, my husband and I lived in one of the tenements which survived the bombings.

Its a nice enough town, it has its fault, but I like it.

I live on the Wirral peninsula

From Wikipedia:

The Wirral is a peninsula in North West England bounded by the River Dee to the west and the River Mersey to the east. It is administered by Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council in the north and Cheshire County Council in the south. Previously it was entirely in Cheshire as a hundred. 2006 sees the Wirral play host to The Open Championship at the Royal Liverpool Golf Club in Hoylake.

Wirral was once an independent Viking mini-state with its parliament at Thingwall. Ancient Irish annals record the population of Wirral by Norsemen led by Ingimund expelled from Ireland and getting agreement from Aethelflaed or "Ethelfleda", Queen of the Mercian English to settle there peacefully. Place name evidence (all the -by names) and archaeological finds (such as two hogback tombstones) corroborate this. Tranmere Rovers FC is the only team in the English League with a Norwegian Viking name: Tranmere = trani melr "cranebird sandbank".

At the end of the twelfth century, Birchen Head Priory stood on a lonely headland of birch trees, facing open countryside and surrounded by the Mersey. It was from here, Merseyside's oldest building, that Benedictine monks operated the first Mersey ferry in 1330, having been granted a passage to Liverpool by a charter from Edward III.

The original ferry service, now famous throughout the world, put Wirral on the map as part of the King's highway, yet for centuries the peninsula remained a cluster of small holdings and hamlets. It wasn't until the 1820s that steam-powered boats improved communication and opened up Wirral's Mersey coast for industrialisation.

Wirral's first railway was built in 1840 planned by George Stephenson and connected Birkenhead with Chester. This encouraged the growth of Wirral; Birkenhead and Wallasey grew into large towns. In 1847, Birkenhead's first docks and its municipal park, the first in Britain and the inspiration for New York's Central Park, were opened.

The Mersey Railway led to increased development after 1886, when pioneering Victorian engineers were the first in the world successfully to tunnel a railway beneath a major river. The first tunnel was supplemented by a vehicle tunnel in 1934 (Queensway) and a third in 1971 (Kingsway).

Wirral's dockland areas of Wallasey and Birkenhead continued to develop and prosper. The 1820s saw the birth of the renowned shipbuilding tradition when John Laird opened his Cammell Laird yard and a host of other port-related industries came into existence, such as flour milling, tanning, edible oil refining and the manufacture of paint and rubber-based products. A large chemical and oil refining complex is still in Ellesmere Port.

Another important development was the building in 1888 of the now famous industrial village of Port Sunlight, designed to house employees at the original firm of Lever Brothers, now part of the Unilever group. The village, which turned Lord Leverhulme's philanthropic dream into reality provided workers with a benign environment.

It always amuses me that these potted histories always, always mention Port Sunlight, but never mention Bromborough Pool. Bromborough Pool is an earlier industrial village which was built for the workers of Price's Candles. Port Sunlight is walking distance for me and has the Lady Lever Art Gallery, which is my absolute favourite place and is somewhere I spend an inordinate amount of time. :D

You can still go round Birkenhead Priory - it is largely ruined but still has a tower and a crypt.

Wow, that's very thorough!! I was born in Birkenhead and lived in Bromborough until I was 19 when my Mum got remarried and we all moved here to Wales.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I have very happy memories of my childhood in Bromborough.

Clydebank

My husband and I have lived here for almost 5 years now. I was brought up in the next town to Clydebank and my husband was raised 10 miles from Clydebank.

Clydebank is interesting due to its shipbuilding history and the famous Clydebank bombings during the second world war, my husband and I lived in one of the tenements which survived the bombings.

Wow! My parents were from Greenock. Many of my relatives lived in tenements. The one my Granny originally lived in was bombed in the war!

I also live in Dover and I don't really think it's great place to live. Of course there is a lovely castle and the sea view but after been on board the ferry for one week the last thing i want to see it's the sea!! The high street is so small and for a shopping addict like me it's not a great place to spend fortune! People just passing Dover never really stop that's probably why every time I leave the vessel there is a shop who closed down. I never saw a town with so may charity shops and pound shops! To go to see a decent film you have to go to Ashford or Canterbury. Ok there is few good restaurants I love the moon flower (chinese) Blake (english food) La Scala (italian). I hate when the sea is rough or the French are on strike (even me been french i don't understand them time to time!) the lorries are everywhere because the ferries are late, they are blocking the lane to go to the port and it's a nightmare to go the work! I hate all those illegals living in Folkestone road. I need to pass this street to go home and how many time i didn't feel safe of course now it's much better. But where are everybody at 17.50 why the town is so dead? where are all the club (no craft clubs, only one reading club!). I am just wondering what the Dovorian people are doing except been in the eight bells (pub)!! I don't want to offence anybody i do like to live in Dover because it's closed to my job and the life is not that bad i just wish Dover was a bit more active

Marie

Hey MHL1971 you don't offend me 'cos it's all true!LOL!! Not to mention the sheer misery of Operation Stack when we're grid-locked!!! I think most Doverians stay indoors - it's safer in some parts of the town.

Have you tried The Taste of India - wonderful curries!!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Glasgow and have done for 14 years, but I am a Sassenach, originally from Nottingham but not lived there for nearly 30!

I love Glasgow, it's got lots for children to do, great public transport, we've never run out of visitors to take people to, good shopping (our girls rather than me!), and lovely friendly people - as long as they're sober!

Wouldn't live anywhere else now, well perhaps Queensland if you twisted my arm....!

There are several of us immigrant Sassenachs on the forum, Pennan - i'm one & Purple Poppy is another - both of us originally from just South of the Border, but now living well above it - LOL!

Clydebank

Wow! My parents were from Greenock. Many of my relatives lived in tenements. The one my Granny originally lived in was bombed in the war!

I really like Greenock, its a nice wee town, when we are visiting the family, we go into Greenock, they used to have a excellent book shop in the centre of the town...;)

Tewkesbury is a historic town in Gloucestershire, England. It stands at the confluence of the River Severn and the River Avon, and also minor tributaries the Swilgate and Carrant Brook. It gives its name to the district of Tewkesbury. The name Tewkesbury comes from the name of a Saxon who founded a hermitage there in the seventh century, Theoc, and in the Saxon tongue was called Theocsbury.

Wow, that's very thorough!! I was born in Birkenhead and lived in Bromborough until I was 19 when my Mum got remarried and we all moved here to Wales.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I have very happy memories of my childhood in Bromborough.

Now I have "It's a small world after all" going round my head...;)

Whenever anyone asks where I live I normally say Liverpool as hardly anyone has heard of the Wirral.

An even better one would be Worcestershire.

And for those who want to know how that's pronounced:

Woos-ter-sher (with the emphasis on the 1st syllable)