My Town

Kell

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else want to tell us about where they live? I can add another one about where I used to live if you like, but I'd like to hear about everyone else too!

Where I used to live - Kirkcaldy, Fife - Lino town!

I went to college in Kircaldy, which is in Fife & just a little North of Edinburgh. I liked it so much that I moved back there after college & stayed for 18 months before lack of cash & loss of job forced a move back to Aberdeen.

Kirkcaldy is right on the Scottish Coastal Trail & is, I believe, the only place in Britain that still manufactures linoleum (the rest is all imported). Infact, Kirkcaldy is famous for its lino production & even more famous for the smell that this used to produce when they used the older techniques - apparently you could smell it for miles!

It's not a huge town, it's not a pretty town, but it's a very friendly town & I had the timme of my life there. It's also handy for Edinburgh, Scotland's capital, & much cheaper to live there than in the city!

There's a wonderful ruined castle down on the beach called Ravenscraig & I used to go clambering about up there in the early hours of the morning when I was still a foolish young student - the sunrises from that vantage point were amazing - you could see right across the Firth of Forth.

There's also a wonderful theatre there called The Adam Smith & both myself & my hubby have performed there (though not together). The original Adam Smith Theatre was turned into a cinema (where I worked), but unfortunately, that closed (hence no job). This particular theatre is a very popular venue for touring comedians & you'll see the likes of mark Thomas, Bill Bailey & The Reduced Shakespeare Company turning in sterling performances.

It also has, right on the high street opposite where the cinema was, Britain's very best Indian takeaway called The Spicec of Life - their pakora are to die for! (I hope it's still there). There was also, down along from Ravenscraig, britain's best Chinese takeaway, called Michael's Chinese (he was 2nd generation), but it closed when his wife, who did all the fablous cooking, died. it was a sad day indeed as they were a lovely couple who were always kind enough to throw in a few extras for the hungry students (us!) who would come in every Sunday night for their weekly treat!

Fife College, where I studied, runs one of the only Theatre & Drama HND courses outside a major city & it was the most fun I ever had.

Kirkcaldy will always have a special place in my heart!

I have lived in 2 of the most famous towns in English history.

I originally come from Hatings - the town where English history was to be changed forever! Infact the Battle of Hastings actually happened about 8 miles away in the village of Battle, on the site of Battle Abbey where Harold is meant to have been slain. Hastings is now a bustling and spawling tourist town. It has a really quaint Old Town with houses at least 500-600 years old. It also boasts one of the largest fishing fleets and is still managing to survive -just. As a child my parents used to buy their fish as it was landed - a custom which I have upheld to this day wherever I live or holiday. :D

Once I got married I moved to a village near Dover -rolling White Cliffs (well really greyish), about 50 miles away. The Port is one of the busiest in the world - we are frquently gridlocked with lorries trying to get to the continant - especially when the French are on strike for one thing or another! (& that can be often!). We are however, blessed with lots of countryside around us which is great for walking and clearing the lungs. :reading:

Infact the Battle of Hastings actually happened about 8 miles away in the village of Battle...

So, technically, it should have been called The Battle of Battle? :rofl:

Seriously, though, I'd love to go there one day - it sounds like a fascinating place. And Dover, well, I passed through on my way to France one time. Actually, we passed through France too - we were on a school coach trip to Holland to do a show - LOL!

Yes - on Senlac Hill!

That's all that most people do - hardly anyone stops here - -some though do catch up with wartime memories, which is understandable. Except the asylum seekers - there's lots of those! :D

The town is mainly dependant on the Port of Dover, Hoverspeed (probably going soon0 and the nearby equally struggling Eurotunnel.

Having said that I couldn't live inland - there is something about living by the sea

Having said that I couldn't live inland - there is something about living by the sea

I heartily agree - I've always been one for a lovely sea view...

I think a lot of that has to do with the accent perhaps. Then again, it depends on the area - some Scottish accents are incredibly harsh-sounding whereas others are very lilting & musical. Aberdonian kind of rolls off the tongue nicely, even the Doric (old Aberdonian) which is still spoken by many folks round here, old & young, is curiously smooth-flowing.

I'd never heard of it before I applied for college there - LOL! I'm something of a scaredy-cat when it comes to going to places alone when I've never been there before, so going away to college was a hige step for me & I couldn't have chosen a better place. It wasn't too small, but it lacked the "big city" feel, so I never felt lost. And the people there are very friendly, so I never felt alone.

And of course, there are plenty of very decent pubs, several of which serve excellent food! I often used to eat at The Feuar's Arms down at Pathhead - they had award winning food there & for very reasonable prices. And there was the Cafe Continental, where they serve the best iced latte I've ever tasted. And then there was Fagin's, which looked like an old-man pub, but had the most wonderful atmosphere. Not to forget, Smithies Tavern, where we went to a pub quiz every week & Mike, the barman, would come round with a tray of unusual shots to try (always something we'd never heard of & always a lot of fun!). Lastly, I must mention Betty Nicols which serves liberal helpings of real ale & live music. I used to sing there in a band imaginatively called Catfruit after a character in the novel our lead guitarist was writing (originally Jonathon Catfruit, but changed to Ezekiel Catfruit for some reason we couldn't quite fathom). Either way, the name was better than the one we originally called ourselves which was Folio Deadline. I can't remember why...

And that's not even mentioning the restaurants - whatever's your pleasure, from Indian to Thai, from Chinese to Italian, there's something there & there's nothing too pricey either.

Crikey, I'm going to have to go back for a visit - I'm missing the place now!

:omg: !! I am having the weirdest day! Kirkcaldy has invaded my life!

I've just finished messaging someone on the IIH forum who lives in Kirkcaldy, and then I find out that you've lived there too! :shock:

My ex (and now best friend) is from Kirkcaldy, and I've been up there loads! I've even been to Smithies on Karaoke night (I didn't sing though).

This old world just keeps getting smaller!

Jo xx

You've been to Smithies? Tell me, does Mike still run the place? When we knew him, he had dark hair & a thick mustache. Round, amiable face & a cheeky grin.

One of my friends (the one who gave our bad the name Catfruit) was going to dedicate a book to him - it was about "Not-Gods" - people who used to be Gods, but came down to live on the planet & give quiet advice to folks in need. They masquerade as tea ladies, janitors & bar tenders, as well as other inoccuous "background" people to whom others are compelled to talk. The dedication was going to read "For Mike - Kirkcaldy's Not-God in Residence".

Mike was certainly still in residence when I went there, but that was probably 4 1/2 years ago now. I'll get on to my friend and ask him.

He's a real book collector and I've been trying to get him to come on here since the place started, but he's got exams coming up in December so he hasn't the time yet. Perhaps when he has the time, a former Kirkcaldy resident to chat to will be an added incentive! He's heading up there for Christmas, so I'll get him to check Smithies for you!

Jo xx

Excellent - it'll be good to hear how the town has changed (ir stayed the same, even!). Glad to hear Mike was still there when you visited - his quizes were always the best!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a museum upstair in a library in my corner of London, called the Cuming Museum. It's about 5 minutes walk from home.

In the Cuming Museum there is almost nothing. It's basically aimed at schoolkids and has a mix of "This is what London smelled like in mediaeval times", "This is what a dinosaur is" and "Here's a poster from a balloon show somewhere nearby in 1800".

But also in the museum is the Lovett collection. This is very odd, because it's pretty much not on display. It's just in a bunch of drawers in the museum, with almost no signs. It is a collection made by the brothers Lovett, of lucky charms and superstitious objects of late 19th century and early 20th century London. Crows feet and teeth and lucky combs and that sort of thing.

Quite peculiar.

• 1 month later...

Here's my town...........

Portsmouth, Hampshire

Once upon a time, before the town of Portsmouth was founded, this coastline was made up of creeks, low-lying marsh and water. Over the centuries the coastline has altered, but the town's position here on the south coast, its proximity to the open sea, coupled with control of the harbour and its entrance, have secured Portsmouth's place in history as one of the world's great anchoranges and a rendevouz for British shipping in times of war for over 800 years.

Portsmouth gained City status in 1192, it was granted by Richard the Lionheart, they believe, on his way to the Crusades during his ten year reign as the King of England. The Star and Crescent are Muslim symbols, and thus he gave the symbols to the City to mark his departure.

In 1587 Sir Walter Raleigh sent settlers from Portsmouth to what was then Virginia (The Americas), They founded the first British settlement. Now better known as North Carolina.

Home to an Historical dockyard which house the Mary Rose, HMS Victory & HMS Warrior.

Southsea Castle, commissioned to be built by Henry VIII to protect the South Coast from the French (didn't work though LOL)

Also until recently, Portsmouth was home to the 'Ugliest Building In the UK', but finally the building was demolished in 2004.

And we're also well known for our famous Millenium Monument ~ The Spinnaker Tower! Plans started for this way back in 1996 for its grand opening in the year 2000, actual opening date October 2005 :shock: