My Town

Kell

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we have one of the longest place-names in the world, if not the longest. It is a Maori name.

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

There are two versions, one with the red and one without.

It means "The brow of the hill, where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, slid down, climbed up and swallowed mountains to travel the land, who is known as the land-eater,and played on his flute to his loved ones."

• 11 months later...

Sure!

Where I live: Lynnwood, Washington

Lynnwood is a typical American suburb. It's kind of hilly, and when you're driving along 196th Street (the main road) you have a good view of the Olympic Mountains on one side, and the Cascade Mountains on the other. That is the one nice thing about this town. Lynnwood is mainly known for its mall, Alderwood (where I have worked at many different stores) and people come from all over the Seattle area to shop there. There is a nice Macy's and Nordstrom, and some nice restaurants, but it's really an average mall town. We have all the fast food places, so you can get really fat here. Most of the residents are blue-collar/working class and the houses are mainly 1970's split-levels. The only reason I live here is because of the great local community college, but since I graduated from there last spring, there's no good reason to live here anymore. I would really, really love to move!

Where I grew up: Bainbridge Island, Washington

Bainbridge Island is a short, 30-minute ferry ride away from Seattle. When my family moved there in 1983, it was rural and not heavily populated. The downtown area (Winslow) had some local shops and two grocery stores (not chain stores). There was no fast food until I was in 3rd grade, when the McDonald's was built. No other fast food has been allowed in the city limits, which encompass the entire island. The island has still continued to grow, and the downtown area has seen rapid development. There are luxury condos, fashionable boutiques, and fancy restaurants.

Because of its easy proximity to Seattle, Bainbridge has always been a sort of "bedroom community", meaning that the vast majority of the people who live there have jobs in the city. My dad is one of those people. This also means that many of the people are on the wealthy side and property values have skyrocketed. My parents bought their house for around $130,000, and today it's worth more like $700,000. There is obviously a lot of waterfront property, and there are a lot of summer homes all over the island.

The schools are great, which was the main reason why my parents moved us there. The high school has consistently been ranked at the #1 or #2 school for its test scores, and there is a heavy emphasis on college preparatory courses. My class alone had 4 valedictorians, and I just found out that one of my old friends is about to enter graduate school at Harvard. Needless to say, this creates a lot of pressure for kids who grow up there.

Bainbridge is also universally disliked by the other towns in the county. Bainbridge has a Seattle zip code and area code, while the rest of the county have different ones. This, and the high average annual income has created resentment in the county. I try to avoid letting people know where I'm from to escape the mocking.

In the end, though, it was a wonderful place to grow up, if you can avoid the snobs (which can be hard). There are a ton of parks and the people are very environmentally conscious. There's a farmer's market every weekend during the spring and summer months, and there's even a great local theater group. Winslow is a great place to just walk around and incredible places to eat. One thing I love is how determined the residents are to show their support for local businesses. There are almost no chain stores, and Starbucks had to fight like mad just to get a shop in the Safeway. And still, most people go to Bainbridge Bakers or the Blackbird Bakery for their morning latte and scone. The people are really friendly, and most people settle there and never move away. My parents still live in the same house they bought 25 years ago, and I love to go and stay. The island has such a feeling of calm and serenity, and it has become my sanctuary during all my years away.

i live in brooklyn, new york which is known as the borough of churches- there are lots of churches in brooklyn- and the gateway of america- brooklyn is a diverse community with many different cultures- lots of ethnic restaurants and neighborhoods-brooklyn has a beautiful botanical gardens and a very active artists community....a bridge that people try to sell every so often and a great view of the manhattan skyline- carm