I read a book a few years ago, but don't quite remember what it was called - or enough about it to just search for it. It was a historical fiction book, though I don't remember when it was set. Probably the 18th or early 19th century. It was about a woman who either was a privateer or masquerading as one. I believe her first mate was called Nathaniel. As far as I can remember she was searching for a man and imprisons him quite early on in the book. There might be something about stealing his ship and searching for some hidden treasure aboard it.

They then fall in love and that's basically all I remember. Does anyone know of this book? I'd really like to read it again!

Wow a paperback with a similar plot was lying about on the swop table in the canteen at work for months. It sounds like the same book. She was definitely a privateer or pirate. The front cover had a red haired girl on the front. It was one of those Mills and Boon type racy romances. I will look to see if it is still there.