Sophie Kinsella

Guest lovesreading06

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if you all know, but if you love sophie kinsella she also writes under the alias madeleine wickham, and they are just as good as all her other books but they are all stand alone books. ps I loved 'remember me' 'theundimestic goddess' and 'twentys girl'. I also loved her last book of the shopaholic series 'mini shopaholic' fab. one of my all time favourate authers ( if you havent noticed lol)

Guest lovesreading06

I'm not sure if you all know, but if you love sophie kinsella she also writes under the alias madeleine wickham, and they are just as good as all her other books but they are all stand alone books. ps I loved 'remember me' 'theundimestic goddess' and 'twentys girl'. I also loved her last book of the shopaholic series 'mini shopaholic' fab. one of my all time favourate authers ( if you havent noticed lol)

I prefer her Sophie Kinsella books. I wasn't that keen on her Madeline Wickham book.

• 7 months later...

I have read all of the shopaholic series except the last one "Mini Shopaholic". Read Undomestic Goddess, Can you keep a secret, Remember me? and currently reading Twenties girl. I just love her style! And it's really easy to rean since I'm a foreigner. Though she writes as Madeline Wickham, too...Would you recommend any of those?

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't really like the shopaholic books, I don't know what it was about them, but, I felt they lacked something. I loved Can you keep a secret, I laughed the whole way through the book and had to keep reading out the funny parts so people knew why I was in hysterics. I also really liked Undomestic Goddess, Remember me, and Twenties Girl, I think I just prefer the books without Becky bloomwood

• 3 weeks later...

I love Sophie Kinsella. Reading the first Shopaholic book I kept thinking "has this woman read my mind?" though I'd like to make it clear I don't go over budget like Becky! Towards the end of the series I found Becky annoyed me to the point I sighed out loud a few times.

I enjoyed the stand alone books too but I can't say I like the one Madeline Wickham book I read. I have another one on my pile and maybe I'll enjoy that one more.

• 2 months later...

I've read almost all her Shopaholics, but the last one. That one is still on my bookshelf waiting. My most favorite of Sophie Kinsella is "Can you keep a secret". I've re read it a couple of times. It makes me laugh out loud everytime again!

I can't wait for her new novel!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally read Twenties Girl the other week, and although I thought it was a bit long, I did enjoy it a lot. I've just seen her new book in the window of the book shop. It's called I've Got Your Number and here's the blurb:

I've lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive!! :)

A couple of glasses of bubbly with the girls at a charity do and Poppy's life has gone into meltdown. Not only has she lost her engagement ring, but in the panic that followed, she's lost her phone too. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number with the hotel staff. It was meant to be!

Except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn't agree. He wants his phone back, and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, phone messages and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents, can things get any more tangled?

I finally read Twenties Girl the other week, and although I thought it was a bit long, I did enjoy it a lot. I've just seen her new book in the window of the book shop. It's called I've Got Your Number and here's the blurb:

Do you know if the book is written in the form of a diary? Or why would the text include emoticons? I think I would have serious problems reading a book that contains emoticons... :o Also, I would have problems with a character who picks up a cellphone she's found and belongs to another person, and reads the personal texts in it. She doesn't seem like a very likable person, in my opinion.

I've just had a look beginning of the book using the download a sample option on Amazon, and it's written as a normal narrative, but it looks like it has texts mixed in, so you get them in a different font interspersed in the middle of the page (I only saw one in the few pages I looked at).

Do you know if the book is written in the form of a diary? Or why would the text include emoticons? I think I would have serious problems reading a book that contains emoticons... :o Also, I would have problems with a character who picks up a cellphone she's found and belongs to another person, and reads the personal texts in it. She doesn't seem like a very likable person, in my opinion.

I am reading I've Got Your Number now. It is very funny. It is not in the form of a diary, but it is written in the first person. The emoticons come from the texts the female caracter is sending or receiving. Nothing weird. It is very logical. And about the phone she found, you have to read it to understand, but she is a very likable person, very sweet. Really!

I can really recomment this novel. It's one of her best I think! :)

Edited by MysteryRose

Thanks chesilbeach and MysteryRose! :) If the emoticons are in texts then I have no problems with it, I was worried that the whole book would be written in that way, silly me!

MysteryRose, okay, so there's a reason why she's doing what she's doing, good. It didn't sound like Kinsella to just come up with a character like that who doesn't care about other people's privacy and who in my opinion has dubious morals. I think I might give it a go someday after all, if I see the book in the library. Kinsella's usually very good and I loved her Twenties Girl, so it would be nice to read a new book by her.

Thanks again gals, I much appreciate it! :smile2:

You're welcome Frankie! :-)

I finished the book yesterday. I loved it so much that I'm sad it is finished now!

I haven't read Twenties Girl yet. Even though I usually love her novels, I got put off by the synopsis of this one, but maybe I am wrong? I am reconsidering, now I have finished "I've got your number" Twenties Girl seems too paranormal to me. Could anyone enlighten me on this? How paranormal is the book?

Thanks!

You're welcome Frankie! :-)

I finished the book yesterday. I loved it so much that I'm sad it is finished now!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, I hope I'll do, too! :)

I haven't read Twenties Girl yet. Even though I usually love her novels, I got put off by the synopsis of this one, but maybe I am wrong? I am reconsidering, now I have finished "I've got your number" Twenties Girl seems too paranormal to me. Could anyone enlighten me on this? How paranormal is the book?

Eventhough there is one ghost, I wouldn't consider it a paranormal book at all. It's very readable and highly entertaining, in my opinion. And hella funny :D I would say it's just another great Kinsella book for a Kinsella fan to read and like :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I love books by Sophie Kinsella, she's one of my favourite authors. I haven't read them all yet (bought them all though), but those I've read have all got a 5 star rating from me. I've read all of the Shopaholic series and a few of her standalone books. It's hard to give a favourite book, I kind of just like them all XD. I suppose the Shopaholic series would have to be my favourite so far, I've really enjoyed those books. Although Becky annoyed me a bit at first, once I got through that I found the story really funny.

Edited by Athena

• 7 months later...