Sophie Kinsella

Guest lovesreading06

I just watched Confessions of a Shopoholic last night and now I really want to buy the books! It was one of the better movies I've seen lately so I'm hoping the books are good (I'm sure they are great!) Can't wait to read them!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Confessions of a Shopoholic last night and now I really want to buy the books! It was one of the better movies I've seen lately so I'm hoping the books are good (I'm sure they are great!) Can't wait to read them!

The books are far far better than the film. I enjoyed the film, but it's nothing like the books. I think I read them all within a week I was so hooked!

I finished The Undomestic Goddess this afternoon and loved it. I was completely sucked in by the book. I read huge chunks of it in a short period of time. Completely girly, but I really liked it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've read all of Sophie Kinsella's books and I've enjoyed the Shopaholic series immensely! The only downer was the Shopaholic and Sister, it got really boring and too repetitive and Shopaholic was getting out of her wits sometimes, I didn't think the book was up to bar with the others.

The stand alone books are great as well, Can You Keep a Secret being my favorite, although I have to say that I hated Undomestic Goddess. To me it was a really forced book, I didn't like the characters and it just wasn't very convincing. That 'passionate' garden scene was absolutely horrid, it was really pretentious and made me want to put all my fingers down my throat.

Currently I'm reading Twenties Girl, I'm half way through the book and so far I'm absolutely loving it!! I don't know where Sophie came up with the idea for the book but it's brilliant. The way Sadie made Lara ask that American guy for a date, in the conference room infront of everyone. And their date was disastrous, I was reading that part last night and I had to stiffle my giggles so I wouldn't wake my neighbors up :D I cannot wait to see what happens, but I'm thinking this one is the best Kinsella has ever written! :)

• 1 month later...
I really liked the first Shopaholic book (and the others as well). I hated the movie! Should have made it British like the book (and I'm an American saying this). Completely tore apart the novel. Thank God we can continue to re-read the books and her new novels.

I hated the movie as well, and I hate saying that because I love the books and so wanted to enjoy the movie! I just thought it was boring, I didn't relate to any of the characters, it wasn't the least bit funny etc etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I won't read it. I read the other books but I decided I won't read more about Becky. I can*t stand her any more because there is so absolutely no progress in her personality. She is just the same as in book 1, buying more than she can afford. It was fun in the first book and in the second and third, but after that I thought she must have learned something. So no, I won't read about her buying things for her baby.

But for those of you who will read it: Hope you enjoy the book!

Julia, I can completely understand where you are coming from and even have to agree with you in some respects. I love Sophie Kinsella's style of writing and will read anything she writes under that name because of it, however, I do have to admit that I wish she'd left the Shopaholic Series alone after the first three books as I do think they went downhill a little after that. I don't think they're terrible by any means of the word but I do think that they kind of lost their edge. I much prefer her standalone books!

I was actually looking at the new Shopaholic book in my local Sainsbury's store this afternoon and I did deliberate over getting it. However, after a little bit of deliberation I walked away from it! I want to re-read the others first anyway so I may as well wait for the paperback version as I can't see me getting around to the rest of the series anytime soon!