Sophie Kinsella

Guest lovesreading06

Am reading Cocktails for Three by Wickham. The dialouge, theme, and characters are very believable. It's a quick and fun read, but a bit predictable. 70 pages in I can already tell what's going to happen next . I love the Shopaholic series though, as well as The Undomestic Goddess. And The Wedding Girl is one of my favorite books ever.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Ah perfect!

I just finished reading Wedding Night. And let me tell you it was a lovely easy light hearted read, and I really enjoyed the whole book. I could kind of guess how it was going to end, but I like books that can be reliable and a little bit predictable with lots of drama and fun along the way. I would recommend it as a break between other books I.e. read it after a good crime thriller or a fantasy type book as it just provides a nice bit of girlie escapism. :)

I'm glad you liked Wedding Night! It's on my TBR (to be read) but I've read some of Sophie Kinsella's other works. My favourites are the Shopaholic series and Twenties Girl. Do you plan on reading any other books by the author?

I've read most of the shopaholic series and I loved those books, I think I still have them poking around somewhere, they might be worth a re read, I have read a couple of her other books but I've got so many other books to read too!

I forgot about how much I enjoyed her books! I think they'd be great for light autumn reading, quick, engaging, funny reads. I haven't done the entire series so I might get started in September and read them in-between other books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished her Wickham book, "A Desirable Residence." I found it was a good read, fast paced and interesting enough to make me want to finish it and it didn't suck my remaining brain cells out of my head (which is what I needed right now!). I think I'll read the Shopaholic books that I've not read, between now and next month. Mainly because they aren't sitting in my shed right now, lol!

I'm glad you liked it :). I still have to read her Wickham books. I've heard some of them aren't as good as some of the Kinsella ones, but time will tell if I think the same or not. I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway. I really liked the Shopaholic books so I hope you do too :).

I loved 'The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic', thought it was a really great book!

I have just read this book and expected to hate it, but I actually really enjoyed it. I'll be reading the rest of the 'Shopaholic' books in the future.

• 1 month later...

Ah perfect!

I just finished reading Wedding Night. And let me tell you it was a lovely easy light hearted read, and I really enjoyed the whole book. I could kind of guess how it was going to end, but I like books that can be reliable and a little bit predictable with lots of drama and fun along the way. I would recommend it as a break between other books I.e. read it after a good crime thriller or a fantasy type book as it just provides a nice bit of girlie escapism. :)

I agree with BookGeek20! :) I've just read the book and I also think that it was a really lovely light hearted read. Sure, I could see where a few things were going, but I think that's one of the things about this particular genre that one must accept. And I certainly didn't mind the certain things taking the certain courses! Meaning,

I really liked Lorcan and wanted Fliss to hook up with him :D I didn't like Richard at first, but when he showed up later on and traveled with Fliss, Noah and Lorcan, he started to grow on me and it showed he really loved Lottie :smile2:

And it was all about enjoying the journey, too. What happens along the way when things are going the way they are going. There were a few laugh aloud moments for me :D 

And coincidentally I read the book right after a thriller, so it was a nice change. Just what I needed at the moment :) 

I still think Twenties Girl is Kinsella's best novel, and then I like the Shopaholic series the best, but Wedding Night, in my opinion, is just as good as Remember Me? and Can You Keep a Secret

I'm glad you liked Wedding Night :), the fact you found it just as good as Remember Me? and Can You Keep a Secret, both of which I liked, means I'll probably like the book too :). I just finished I've Got Your Number which I really enjoyed, Wedding Night will be the next Sophie Kinsella book I read (unless the newest Shopaholic book is out in paperback before I get around to it).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a new free short story out called Shopaholic on Honeymoon, see Sophie Kinsella's website to read it. It takes place just after Shopaholic Ties the Knot. I'm going to read it right now, will post later with some thoughts.

EDIT: Okay so I finished the story. It was pretty good! It was really nice to read about Becky again and there were quite a few funny moments. I thought the 'problem' was solved too soon which is my only real complaint. If you like the Shopaholic books and have read up to Shopaholic Ties the Knot (including that one), I certainly recommend you read this free short story. It bridges the gap between books three and four. The story is free, so why not :).

Edited by Athena

• 3 months later...

I'm currently reading Shopaholic to the Stars, the 7th book in the Shopaholic series. Has anyone else read it? So far I'm enjoying it, though I'm not sure if I like it as much as the previous books in the series (this could also be my current mood though). According to the note in the front the book will end on a cliffhanger, which I'm not too keen on (as I can't stand having to wait another while until I can read what happens next). The book is good though and it's funny. I'm about two thirds into it now and I look forward to find out what's going to happen and how things will get resolved again, or not.

Are there seven books in the series now????  :o  The last one I definitely remember reading is Shopaholic Ties The Knot but I may have read the next couple after that as well … their plots look vaguely familiar, but I can't honestly remember where I got to.  I actually prefer her standalone novels, and have given up on the Shopaholic books now.

Yes! It's quite a lot. I did like the last one, but I didn't like it as much as the other books in the series (my review will be posted in my book blog soon). Which standalone novels have you read, any particular favourite(s)?

I've read Can You Keep a Secret?, The Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me? and Twenties Girl, of which The Undomestic Goddess was definitely my favourite.

Just looking back through my notes, I've read unto Shopaholic & Baby apparently … but I honestly don't remember it or the book before :blush:

I've read those too, and I've Got Your Number (I liked The Undomestic Goddess too, and Can You Keep a Secret? the least (I still enjoyed it though)). I haven't yet read Wedding Night, which will be my next read by the author. I also have the books of Madeleine Wickham (the author's real name), but I haven't read those yet. I have heard they aren't as good so I've left them for last if that makes sense.

I guess maybe those books weren't as memorable to you, it happens to all of us sometimes I think.

By the way congrats on your 10000 posts :) (I just noticed!).

I've read Can You Keep a Secret?, The Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me? and Twenties Girl, of which The Undomestic Goddess was definitely my favourite.

Just looking back through my notes, I've read unto Shopaholic & Baby apparently … but I honestly don't remember it or the book before :blush:

Since you like and prefer Kinsella's standalone novels, I'd recommend The Wedding Night, too :smile2: