The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

Michelle

This offering from Sanderson is aimed at the teenage market, but that is certainly not a bad thing. I loved the Mistborn series, but made the mistake of going from one book to the next, and by the middle of the 3rd it seemed to be dragging, and I gave up. This is not something which will happen with this book once you’re into it, so as long as you know what to expect, I think most adults would enjoy it too.

Joel is fascinated by the magic of the Rithmatists, which he sees studied at his college. Rithmatists use special geometric shapes and creatures which they draw in chalk, and bring magic to. Although Joel is skilled in the drawings, he has no magic, and so can not be a Rithmatist.

When some of the students go missing, and the college is attacked, Joel has to work together with Melody, a Rithmatist apprentice, to try to stop the killer.

Personally, I loved the idea behind the magic, which is basically drawing protective, magical shapes and creatures, to avoid being attacked. This is helped in the book by the illustrations from Ben McSweeney, which include the special shapes used, some of the creatures, and the chapter headings.

The story itself is fast paced, and I would recommend it as an introduction to fantasy for anyone, teen or older, or as a shorter, snappier read for those used to more epic fantasy. There are themes of family and friendship throughout, with a credible world and magic system.

Ooh, that was one of the things I liked about Peter V. Brett's The Painted Man - the fact that they had runes to protect them from the demons, and that the runes had to be drawn flawlessly or the demons would get through.

I still haven't read any Sanderson, but I do own The Rithmatist, as well as Warbreaker and the first Mistborn novel. I might go for this one as my introduction to Sanderson, since you enjoyed it so much. :)

I have this book on my wishlist. I've previously read the Alcatraz books (4 books, book 5 isn't out yet), the Wheel of Time books and The Emperor's Soul (a novella), all of which I really enjoyed. I own a couple more books by Brandon Sanderson that I haven't read yet. I'm currently reading Elantris, his debut novel, and I'm really enjoying it. Since I've enjoyed all of the books I've read by him so far, I intend to read and own them all at some point. He's a great author. I'm glad you enjoyed The Rithmatist, I am sure I'd like the book too.

I've previously read

The Emperor's Soul (a novella)

Is it a stand alone?  I have been toying with reading The Emperor's Soul for awhile, but wasn't sure.  You'd know if I'd like it or not.  I thought my passion for short stories (177 is pushing it lol) might help me break into something different from what I normally read.  Something really attracts me to him.

but I have been keeping up with the Reckoner's books which are also YA and great fun.

Did you read Mitosis?  It was so short and sweet, I read it... I think in December, got me all ready for Firefight, but alas, I just haven't seemed to get to it yet.  It's always nagging in my mind though :P

Thanks Michelle, for the tantalizing review!  :smile:

Edited by Anna Begins

Is it a stand alone?  I have been toying with reading The Emperor's Soul for awhile, but wasn't sure.  You'd know if I'd like it or not.  I thought my passion for short stories (177 is pushing it lol) might help me break into something different from what I normally read.  Something really attracts me to him.

It is a stand-alone, I think it is set in the same world as his Warbreaker novel (which is part of his greater Cosmere universe). Both are worth reading and can be read by themselves.

Did you read Mitosis?  It was so short and sweet, I read it... I think in December, got me all ready for Firefight, but alas, I just haven't seemed to get to it yet.  It's always nagging in my mind though 

Yeah I did, it was a great read, although it's not related to the events in Firefight it is mentioned several times.

As far as I know, and according to Wikipedia, it's a standalone story. According to Amazon.com, my Kindle edition of the book has 128 pages. Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess, as the book on my Kindle only shows locations and not page numbers. I really enjoyed the novella :).