World Book Day - 5th March 2015

Kell

It's World Book Day today! Are you doing anything to celebrate it? Will you be spending some time curled up with a good book?

Xan's school are having a "come as your favourite book character" day today. He's gone as Quint from The Edge Chronicales by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. (Quint is a knight, not the creature on the cover of this book - that's the Gloamglozer!).

post-3572-0-87238900-1425556648_thumb.jpg

I was disappointed, but not surprised, to see countless little girls dressed as Elsa from Frozen. Not a book, people - it's a film. Now if they'd gone as The Snow Queen, that would be a different matter! Comic book characters I can just about get on board with, as at least they're from comic books ad graphic novels...

Anyway, I'll be setting aside some time this evening to soak in the tub and do a bit of reading - I might read a bit more of The Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4) by Diana Gabaldon, or perhaps a little more of The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings. Whichever I end up reading tonight, I'll be in for a good time ;)

And there'll be a chapter of The Curse of the Gloamglozer by Pal Stewart and Chris Riddell for Xan and Josh tonight (the book Xan is holding in the picture). We just started it the other night...

I was disappointed, but not surprised, to see countless little girls dressed as Elsa from Frozen. Not a book, people - it's a film. Now if they'd gone as The Snow Queen, that would be a different matter! Comic book characters I can just about get on board with, as at least they're from comic books ad graphic novels...

I was chatting to my colleague at work, and he refused to let his daughter go as Elsa because Frozen is not a book.  He did let her go as Cinderella as she has a Ladybird book of the story :)

Being at work, there's not really enough time to do any celebrating as such, but no doubt I'll try and find a little bit of reading time this evening.

Xan looks awesome! :D

I work in a high school, and while the kids weren't allowed to dress up, the staff in the English department did. The best was one of the male teachers dressed as Zorro, with a floor-length cape and everything. :D They didn't actually mention World Book Day in ANY of the lessons during the day, though, which was really disappointing.

I was chatting to my colleague at work, and he refused to let his daughter go as Elsa because Frozen is not a book.  He did let her go as Cinderella as she has a Ladybird book of the story :)

Being at work, there's not really enough time to do any celebrating as such, but no doubt I'll try and find a little bit of reading time this evening.

Good for him! I'm glad there are some parents who will try to make their kids think about these things a little bit more. :)

Xan looks awesome! :D

I work in a high school, and while the kids weren't allowed to dress up, the staff in the English department did. The best was one of the male teachers dressed as Zorro, with a floor-length cape and everything. :D They didn't actually mention World Book Day in ANY of the lessons during the day, though, which was really disappointing.

One of the teachers at Xan's school went as Miss Trunchbull from Matilda by Roald Dahl - she was awesome! She stood in the playground waiting for the kids to come in, and bellowed at them that they were late and she would put them in chokey, while waving a heavy-looking stick around! She's very much a "jolly hockeysticks" kind of teacher at the best of times, so she was hilarious in character!

It's a shame that not all schools embrace it, I think high school kids need it just as much as primary school kids - it gives them something fun to relate to books and encourages them to read for enjoyment, which is sorely lacking in many kids these days.

We don't have World Book Day here as far as I know, but Xan looks lovely in the photo and it's nice to hear of all your experiences! I'm so sorry that boy wasn't allowed to participate, that seems unfair as I don't believe the child has done anything wrong :(.

Apparently one boy went as Christian Grey from 50 Shades and was not allowed to participate.

The mind boggles as to why his mother thought that sending him to school as Christian Grey, with zip-ties and a blind no less, was appropriate. I can't help but feel she did it to either make a point (rather badly) or to get an obvious reaction from the school.

It's a bit creepy to send your 11 year old son dressed as Christian Grey though .. c/w blindfold  :unsure: .. regardless really of who else was dressed up as what. She wouldn't have known that anyway before she sent him. 

I saw pics of children dressed as James & Street Cat Bob :D Pretty easy to achieve but something different. It's such a cop out to send the girls dressed as Elsa/Anna from Frozen but there are so many book tie-ins now that they can get away with saying that it IS from a book :rolleyes: Xan looks amazing :)

My Dad always did the fancy dress making in our house and he stuck rigidly to male characters such as Peter Pan and Robin Hood (both very good characters for book day .. Dad was ahead of his time :D) I think .. looking back .. that one of the outfits was easily adapted into the other :D There was a lot of green felt involved. Anyhow, I wasn't at all a tomboy and used to get a pang when I saw all the other girls had been turned into fairies and princesses etc. So I do have sympathy for the little girls wanting to be a Disney princess but they get lots of opportunities to do that now .. try and be innovative .. go as Coraline or something.

Parents are up against it though as schools always seem to be asking children to turn up wearing some costume or the other. 

It's a bit creepy to send your 11 year old son dressed as Christian Grey though .. c/w blindfold  :unsure: .. regardless really of who else was dressed up as what. She wouldn't have known that anyway before she sent him. 

Oh I agree, I perhaps didn't make that clear! But, still, others sound inappropriate too. :)

These seem much better :Dhttp://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2015/mar/06/world-book-day-costumes-cats-rats-hats-your-pictures

Oh I agree, I perhaps didn't make that clear! But, still, others sound inappropriate too. :)

These seem much better :Dhttp://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2015/mar/06/world-book-day-costumes-cats-rats-hats-your-pictures

Aww .. look at the littlelun dressed up as Paddington :wub: and Cruella de Vil .. fab!! And the boy that dressed as the boy in a dress .. brilliant. All those costumes are so great and inventive  :) 

I saw pics of children dressed as James & Street Cat Bob :D

Was it a toy cat or did he get to take his pet cat in? I'd use it as an excuse to take my cat to school! :D Although I suppose that wouldn't go down any better than dressing as Christian Gray.

We never really did anything like this at my school. The only book character I remember dressing as was the Little Match Girl from Hans Christian Anderson's story, but I'm not sure if that was part of a book-related thing or something else. I suspect we chose the match girl because it was such a simple outfit: some scruffy clothes and a box of matches. :D

The only other thing I remember dressing as was...wait for it...seaweed (rolls of green crepe paper hanging off me). Unfortunately I have photographic evidence of this. I'm not sure if that was book-related either. My brother is dressed as a pirate in the same photo, so it might have been a sea theme. What I'd like to know is, why didn't get to go as a pirate?!

I know we're going a bit off topic here, but I only remember wearing a fancy dress costume was for the Queen's silver jubilee celebrations, and I went to the street party as a packet of crisps … the Smith's Salt'n'Shake crisps with a little blue packet of salt!  No photographic evidence exists, thankfully.  I think it was easy for my mum, who wasn't good at sewing, as it was an old white sheet with some coat hangers and just painted the design on. :D

We never did anything at school for dressing up that I remember, and definitely nothing related to book characters.  I have to say, I'm glad about that as I hate dressing up! :lol:

My little boy went as Thomas the tank engine. I wasn't overly impressed by his choice as I think Thomas was a tv show first!

But at the end of the day the Thomas books have encouraged my 4 year old to learn to read and embrace his story books. I figure that can only be a good thing!

My little boy went as Thomas the tank engine. I wasn't overly impressed by his choice as I think Thomas was a tv show first!

But at the end of the day the Thomas books have encouraged my 4 year old to learn to read and embrace his story books. I figure that can only be a good thing!

You can be impressed again … the original Thomas books were first published in the 1940s, a long time before the television version. :)