The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

frankie

I couldn't find a thread for the author or the novel so I thought I'd start one, knowing a lot of members on here have read and loved The Rosie Project :smile2:

Here's part of the synopsis I found on Amazon

MEET DON TILLMAN, a brilliant yet socially challenged professor of genetics, who’s decided it’s time he found a wife. And so, in the orderly, evidence-based manner with which Don approaches all things, he designs the Wife Project to find his perfect partner: a sixteen-page, scientifically valid survey to filter out the drinkers, the smokers, the late arrivers...

Simsion has also written a sequel to the novel, called The Rosie Effect

I'm currently reading TRE and there have been quite a few funny things in the novel :D I have to share them with others who've read the book already: 

Page 21-22:

I loved it how when Don freaked out about the baby news and bumped into Jerome and they had a 'fight' :D It was so comical! Him running after Jerome after the fight because he didn't have any other specific direction to go to, and Jerome being freaked out about it :D 

Page 98-104:

And it was really funny when Gene advised Don to observe kids so as to learn how they behave, and Don went to watch children at their natural habitat: a playground. And what do you know, he raises red flags with the parents and somebody calls the cops... Poor Don!! 

Edited by frankie

I love The Rosie Project and really want to read The Rosie Effect.. I'll have to see when I have the funds to order it online, because I really want to read it and have it match with TRP (I want an English copy).

I'm glad you're enjoying TRE so far :).

Page 21-22:

I loved it how when Don freaked out about the baby news and bumped into Jerome and they had a 'fight' :D It was so comical! Him running after Jerome after the fight because he didn't have any other specific direction to go to, and Jerome being freaked out about it :D 

And as a response of this incident was

Don just simply decided that they would simply have to move out of the apartment, with having no idea where they were going to live, or that he tells Rosie what he was doing :D

Page 98-104:

And it was really funny when Gene advised Don to observe kids so as to learn how they behave, and Don went to watch children at their natural habitat: a playground. And what do you know, he raises red flags with the parents and somebody calls the cops... Poor Don!! 

Oh dear, Don!!

it was so excruciating to read as it unfolded, it was like watching an accident happening :o

There had been the Bluefin Tuna Incident. That was such a complicated scenario,

with all the characters thinking different opinions about everyone else. The "blind date" for Seymour and Lydia was another catastrophe! It was a mega cringe for me. And for the last line for Lydia to Don at the end of the chapter :o - a social worker tell Don he shouldn't have children.

But then

Lydia reared her head at the crucial time when we were expecting Don was to be in the clear

Next was the idea of Don's to keep Rosie stress-free by

That someone should impersonate Rosie in the next meeting with Lydia, and Dave's wife agrees to it. I mean...that was going to be another disaster waiting to happen.

It's as good as the Rosie Project, but with more much sharp humour, I think.  :smile:

Edited by Marie H

I'm reading The Rosie Effect at the moment, after thoroughly enjoying The Rosie Project. Although I don't think it's specifically mentioned, Don quite obviously has Asperger's and I find him such a lovable, endearing character, and very funny. I'm so glad he has friends that understand and support him through the ups and downs of his relationship with Rosie :blush2: 

This book sounds really interesting! I have seen many people posting about it and I was curious. Now that I've read the synopsis, I think I'm going to see if it's available at my local library  :D

Oh dear, Don!!

it was so excruciating to read as it unfolded, it was like watching an accident happening :o

But it was so funny, the dialogue!

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I think I'm configuring the resolution, but it's possible I'm doing something different. It's unlikely you will be able to assist unless you're familiar with the application."

"Well I guess we should get out of your way and leave you with the kids."

"Excellent. Good luck fighting crime."

:rolol: 

But then

Lydia reared her head at the crucial time when we were expecting Don was to be in the clear

This one I didn't see coming at all! I thought oooooooh crap!!! :thud:

It's as good as the Rosie Project, but with more much sharp humour, I think.  :smile:

Most definitely! :yes:

I'm reading The Rosie Effect at the moment, after thoroughly enjoying The Rosie Project. Although I don't think it's specifically mentioned, Don quite obviously has Asperger's and I find him such a lovable, endearing character, and very funny. I'm so glad he has friends that understand and support him through the ups and downs of his relationship with Rosie :blush2: 

Don is such a sweetheart :wub: And it's heartbreaking how you see what others don't see, how Don's doing everything with good intentions. We are able to see this because we know Don's reasoning, reading it from his perspective, but I bet if I didn't get to see things from his viewpoint, I would sometimes be at a loss with him. 

This book sounds really interesting! I have seen many people posting about it and I was curious. Now that I've read the synopsis, I think I'm going to see if it's available at my local library  

Did you find any copies? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Did you find any copies? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!! :smile2:

YES! It wasn't at my library, but at one in the system so I had to wait a few days but I have it in my possession now!  :D

[

Don is such a sweetheart :wub: And it's heartbreaking how you see what others don't see, how Don's doing everything with good intentions. We are able to see this because we know Don's reasoning, reading it from his perspective, but I bet if I didn't get to see things from his viewpoint, I would sometimes be at a loss with him. 

That's such a good point Frankie, it makes him a sympathetic character and his actions seem perfectly understandable.  I think Simsion has either done a lot of research into Asperger's or he has first hand experience with it. It's very perceptively written.

That's such a good point Frankie, it makes him a sympathetic character and his actions seem perfectly understandable.  I think Simsion has either done a lot of research into Asperger's or he has first hand experience with it. It's very perceptively written.

I agree, he's done an amazing job with the books re: Asperger's. Loads and loads of research. It would be really interesting to know if he knows someone with Asperger's... 

Edit: I finished the book last night and loved it. Would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone who's read the first novel :smile2:

Edit: Aha! His wife is professor Anne Buist, who's a professor of psychiatry (!! :) ) and who writes erotic fiction under the alias Simone Sinna.

Edited by frankie

There's a lot I loved in The Rosie Effect book and I might come back to them later, but one thing I want to say now: a character in the novel says "What happens in Göteborg stays in Göteborg." I love it that they've kept the umlauts! I don't know, maybe they always do, but it's always a real pleasure to find a familiar word (one that is foreign to native English speakers) written as it is. In a book. :wub:

Okay, I can't help but quote a few things: 

p. 133

(when Claudia and Don are talking about Claudia and Gene's marriage via Skype:

C: Don, I don't want to be harsh, but I'm a clinical psychologist and you're not an expert on interpersonal relations. Maybe leave this one to me. 

D: Not harsh. I have a successful marriage and yours has failed. Hence my approach is prima facie more effective.

Ouch!! 

p. 388

(when Rosie's woken up, on the airplane, thinking she's already in LA)

'Wow. I slept all the way to LA,' she said. 

'Incorrect. We're returning to New York. There's a suspected terrorist on board.'

Rosie looked frightened and grabbed my hand. 

'No cause for fear,' I said. 'It's me.'

It was hi-la-rious when the federal air marshal sat next to Don and he thought the man is a schizophrenic! 

Edited by frankie

I think The Rosie Effect will be the next book I buy (online), when I have the money to do so. I desperately want to read this book and I want it on my shelf next to my copy of The Rosie Project.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Frankie :).

I agree, he's done an amazing job with the books re: Asperger's. Loads and loads of research. It would be really interesting to know if he knows someone with Asperger's... 

Edit: Aha! His wife is professor Anne Buist, who's a professor of psychiatry (!! :) ) and who writes erotic fiction under the alias Simone Sinna.

First hand information then. Does it strike you as strange that a psychiatrist should write erotic fiction?

Well I've taken a bit of money from my savings and ordered The Rosie Effect from BD. It'll probably take a bit of time to get here but it should hopefully be the one with a matching size and cover to my copy of The Rosie Project. I really want to read it now very soon.

I forgot to mention that when I was reading about Graeme Simsion on his website, it said that he was writing a new book, but going by the title, it's not related to Don. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next! 

Currently checking prices to buy The Rosie Effect.  :exc: The only problem is that if I buy that one I will want to buy the first book too because I can't have just one part of the series...

I forgot to mention that when I was reading about Graeme Simsion on his website, it said that he was writing a new book, but going by the title, it's not related to Don. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next!

Nice, I hope it will be interesting too :).

Currently checking prices to buy The Rosie Effect.  :exc: The only problem is that if I buy that one I will want to buy the first book too because I can't have just one part of the series...

That makes a lot of sense. I ordered my copy from the BookDepository for just under 10 euros. Amazon.co.uk is selling it for quite cheap but the shipping is expensive to here and the pound vs. euro is pretty high at the moment also. Bol.com is selling the book too but for a higher price. I don't know about the United States, maybe you are able to find a copy of both books for not so much money.

Nice, I hope it will be interesting too :).

That makes a lot of sense. I ordered my copy from the BookDepository for just under 10 euros. Amazon.co.uk is selling it for quite cheap but the shipping is expensive to here and the pound vs. euro is pretty high at the moment also. Bol.com is selling the book too but for a higher price. I don't know about the United States, maybe you are able to find a copy of both books for not so much money.

Yeah no such luck :(

Each book is like $17 which is WAAYYYY beyond my price range. 

edit: Just put The Rosie Effect on hold. Will pick it up Saturday  :exc:  :jump:  :lol:

Edited by BSchultz19

I'm about halfway through now and I really like it. 

As some others have mentioned with the bluefin tuna situation.

I absolutely abhor Lydia for the way she judges Don and how insensitive she is about her.

There's a lot I loved in The Rosie Effect book and I might come back to them later, but one thing I want to say now: a character in the novel says "What happens in Göteborg stays in Göteborg." I love it that they've kept the umlauts! I don't know, maybe they always do, but it's always a real pleasure to find a familiar word (one that is foreign to native English speakers) written as it is. In a book. :wub:

Okay, I can't help but quote a few things: 

p. 133

(when Claudia and Don are talking about Claudia and Gene's marriage via Skype:

C: Don, I don't want to be harsh, but I'm a clinical psychologist and you're not an expert on interpersonal relations. Maybe leave this one to me. 

D: Not harsh. I have a successful marriage and yours has failed. Hence my approach is prima facie more effective.

Ouch!! 

p. 388

(when Rosie's woken up, on the airplane, thinking she's already in LA)

'Wow. I slept all the way to LA,' she said. 

'Incorrect. We're returning to New York. There's a suspected terrorist on board.'

Rosie looked frightened and grabbed my hand. 

'No cause for fear,' I said. 'It's me.'

It was hi-la-rious when the federal air marshal sat next to Don and he thought the man is a schizophrenic! 

:rolol:  :rolol:  I thought TRE had a lot more moments that I actually laughed out loud at than TRP, which I definitely liked. 

I'm about halfway through now and I really like it. 

As some others have mentioned with the bluefin tuna situation.

I absolutely abhor Lydia for the way she judges Don and how insensitive she is about her.

I soooo wanted to tell you it's going to be a bit different in the end but I had to keep my mouth shut, of course :D 

:rolol:  :rolol:  I thought TRE had a lot more moments that I actually laughed out loud at than TRP, which I definitely liked. 

Yep! I love a good book that manages to make me laugh out loud. It's not always a given that a funny book will do that. It takes a little extra something to make one laugh out loud! :smile2: 

I finished reading this book yesterday, the review can be found here in my book blog. I enjoyed the book but not as much as the first one. It was still enjoyable though! But somehow it wasn't as unique as the first one was, and I had a few issues with some of the things in the book. I think it's partially a case of that I hyped it up too much for myself by reading about lots of other people who really liked the book.

• 1 year later...