What's up in March? - 2015

chesilbeach

A few weeks ago I read an article about crows who leave a little girl presents since she feeds them. I decided this year I'm going to get some little bird feeders and put seed out for the birds and some special shiny trinkets out for the crows to see if they start coming to me daily. I don't expect to get little presents back like the girl did, but I like the idea of crows knowing my little patio is a safe place to come for food and they won't be shooed away. :) When I lived in Sioux Falls, SD we got oriel birds by putting orange slices out. I'd love to see them again! :) May be a nice, fun spring project.

I saw an article about that girl too, Abby. We feed the birds in our garden all year round and we used to have a blackbird that nested in our tree for a few years. She wasn't tame by any means, but she used to sit outside the back door singing until someone took some currants or raisins out to her! :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an article about that girl too, Abby. We feed the birds in our garden all year round and we used to have a blackbird that nested in our tree for a few years. She wasn't tame by any means, but she used to sit outside the back door singing until someone took some currants or raisins out to her! :D

Aw! She sure had you guys well trained!!!  :giggle:

My mom gets very upset with the black birds and crows up at the cabin, Abby!  She says they're so bossy and mean and won't let the other birds (Chickadees and Goldfinches) eat at the feeders.  We have 3 of them on one deck and 2 on another.  Needless to say we're always in need of bird seed!  The Orioles are very pretty and we always put orange halves out too, they love them!

Have fun in Kerry, Noll, and your show sounds like tons of fun, Kell!

It's continually busy around my neck of the woods, but the good news is the lovely weather we've been having!  I actually got to drive around yesterday with my car's sunroof open, which is the first time this season.  It was over 60f!  Don't get me wrong, though, I'm still expecting snow at some point since this is MN and we've been known to get lingering snow showers in May.  

Lots going on this week... Dance Jam class at the gym on 3 nights, St. Patty's Day happy hour tomorrow, dinner out on Saturday night, breakfast out on Sunday morning and belly dancing class on Sunday afternoon!  Whew.

Hope everyone has a good week!

My stepmom feels the same way about her feeders, lol. She loves photographing the birds who flock to them and crows just aren't as pretty to her. Ooo, it was 75 here yesterday and I took a little drive around town with my windows down, too! Today it only got up to 42 and we already have snow in the forecast this week. Guess its not fully spring yet. I'm sure we'll get a couple more storms before the real spring sets in.

Today was not a good day. I had the stepladder outside so I could prune the crape myrtle tree and while coming down the stepladder I missed the last couple rungs and fell backwards. My feet and rear hit the ground but I continued backward and my head also hit.   :doh:  :smile:

Edited by muggle not

Oh no! So sorry about your chickens and your dad's collegue, Athena :(  Yuck, unexpected bills are the worst kind!  :empathy:

Thanks Abby.

Lots going on this week... Dance Jam class at the gym on 3 nights, St. Patty's Day happy hour tomorrow, dinner out on Saturday night, breakfast out on Sunday morning and belly dancing class on Sunday afternoon!  Whew.

Good luck with it all!

Today was not a good day. I had the stepladder outside so I could prune the crape myrtle tree and while coming down the stepladder I missed the last couple rungs and fell backwards. My feet and rear hit the ground but I continued backward and my head also hit.   :doh:  :smile:

Awwww :( I hope you will feel better soon :flowers2:!

Today I have a phone appointment with my psychiatrist and tomorrow there are two elections I'm going to vote in. My dad is getting an award tomorrow (very exciting!) so he and my mum can't make the voting. I will be voting for them in their stead, also. We had digital voting for a little while but there were too many concerns about hackers so since a few years or such we're back to pencil and paper. I'm not that interested in politics but I do think it's important to vote.

Today I have a phone appointment with my psychiatrist and tomorrow there are two elections I'm going to vote in. My dad is getting an award tomorrow (very exciting!) so he and my mum can't make the voting. I will be voting for them in their stead, also. We had digital voting for a little while but there were too many concerns about hackers so since a few years or such we're back to pencil and paper. I'm not that interested in politics but I do think it's important to vote.

Strange that there was a problem with hackers with digital voting, but you can vote for your parents.  :P And yes, that is very exciting about your dad!

Strange that there was a problem with hackers with digital voting, but you can vote for your parents.  :P And yes, that is very exciting about your dad!

You can give permission to another person to vote in your stead if you are unavailable, you have to sign the form, both of you and I have to show (a copy of) both mine and their passports and I have to show all the voting tickets. Thanks :).

Edited by Athena

I hope you enjoy your weekend, Claire :)!

I've been out today doing the voting, going to the pharmacy and the supermarket. Since yesterday I've been feeling a bit ill, I've had a headache, felt really tired and this morning I sneezed a lot and my nose wouldn't stop dripping. I'm feeling a bit better since the afternoon, I hope I'm not getting ill and that it's just tiredness combined with allergies. Time will tell. I've had a lot of people contacting me but I felt too tired to respond to everyone so I instead took a bit of time to rest and read for a while. I didn't have enough energy to socially engage with a lot of people and it didn't seem fair to me to respond to just one or two people and not to others. Michael has been tired lately so I'm doing his share of chores as well, that is tiring me out also. The next two days we should hopefully be able to rest a bit.

One more day at work this week, then I have a long weekend ahead of me.  Baking, sewing and reading planned, and I think OH wants me to take him to the garden centre too … spring must be here! :D

Woohoo .. sounds like an idyllic weekend. Hope the weather stays good :)

Hope you feel better soon Gaia xx

Been for some long-ish walks with Alan as the weather has been nice .. though it is still nippy out there. I never can get it right, was stifling this morning so went out without my coat this afternoon .. froze  :cold:  :D 

One look through my make up bag tells me that things are in dire need of replacing. I hate doing this. You can never get the same stuff and it's all mumbo jumbo to me. And since when did mascara cost £13!?!  :o .. imagine the amount of buns you could buy? :D Got to bite the bullet though as going out at the weekend and don't want to be digging out the last congealed lumps of mascara etc. God .. it's so much cheaper for men  :D 

Woohoo .. sounds like an idyllic weekend. Hope the weather stays good :)

I'm hoping it will be :smile2:

Glad to leave work behind for a few days now, and nothing has occurred to make me change my plans, so that's even better! Tomorrow morning, I'm hoping to bake a cake, and also get the dough prepped and ready for the Kouign Amann pastries, which I'll then bake on Friday morning. Other than that, nothing set in stone, just general plans I've already mentioned. As the weather's nice I might try and wash the car as well … but then again, other things might be just too tempting to resist … :giggle2:

I'm hoping it will be :smile2:

Glad to leave work behind for a few days now, and nothing has occurred to make me change my plans, so that's even better! Tomorrow morning, I'm hoping to bake a cake, and also get the dough prepped and ready for the Kouign Amann pastries, which I'll then bake on Friday morning. Other than that, nothing set in stone, just general plans I've already mentioned. As the weather's nice I might try and wash the car as well … but then again, other things might be just too tempting to resist … :giggle2:

Sounds like you have a nice weekend planned, enjoy!! And don't forget about the car. :)

I hope you're okay, Muggle! How's your head today?

Have fun on your days off, Claire :D Tomorrow is my Friday and then it's a 3-day weekend. Can't wait!

My head seems ok today. Yesterday I was kinda in a "fuzz" and I refrained from my treadmill exercise. Any bump to the head worries me due to my past problems.

Enjoy the long weekend. :)

Edited by muggle not

I hope you're okay, Muggle! How's your head today?

Have fun on your days off, Claire :D Tomorrow is my Friday and then it's a 3-day weekend. Can't wait!

Thanks! Hope you have a lovely long weekend too :D 

Sounds like you have a nice weekend planned, enjoy!! And don't forget about the car. :)

My head seems ok today. Yesterday I was kinda in a "fuzz" and I refrained from my treadmill exercise. Any bump to the head worries me due to my past problems.

Enjoy the long weekend. :)

Thank you. Good to hear your head seems better today, it must be such a worry when something like that happens.  :friends3: 

Well, despite being up at 6:30, that's still a lie in for me, but I'm up and ready to start the day.  Having a nice cuppa and a catch up here is a lovely relaxing way to begin!  :coffee1: 

I've only just seen this muggle not. I hope you are fully recovered from your fall.  :friends0:

Hope you feel better soon Gaia xx

One look through my make up bag tells me that things are in dire need of replacing. I hate doing this. You can never get the same stuff and it's all mumbo jumbo to me. And since when did mascara cost £13!?!  :o.. imagine the amount of buns you could buy? :D Got to bite the bullet though as going out at the weekend and don't want to be digging out the last congealed lumps of mascara etc. God .. it's so much cheaper for men :D

Thanks Kay :), I've been feeling a bit better since yesterday afternoon.

I'm one of the few women who don't use make up, but that sounds very expensive. Sometimes I see make up in shops, that's always expensive too. I hope you'll be able to afford the things you want.

I'm glad you feel a bit better :)

Well, despite being up at 6:30, that's still a lie in for me, but I'm up and ready to start the day.  Having a nice cuppa and a catch up here is a lovely relaxing way to begin!  :coffee1: 

I hope you have fun today :).

I hope to rest a bit today, because I've been doing a lot lately. I plan to do some reading in the book I'm reading, I look forward to it.

Edited by Athena

Had a lovely day today.  Took a trip to the fabric shop and came away with a nice selection, then popped over to see some friends of the family, and by good fortune, my goddaughter was there visiting too, so had a lovely morning catching up with them all.  Came back home and have spent the afternoon sewing, and photographing and cataloging the photos of my patchwork and quilting, and now settling in for a quiet evening at home.  Not very exciting, but just a lovely day. :D

I've been feeling sick and nauseated for a few days now, I think I'm having stomach flu or such. My mum said she had it for a week last week, so it could well be. It's hard to concentrate on much when I feel like I'm going to throw up.

On a brighter note, my brother's move is going well and I think they're progressing nicely with it. We had dinner with him on Friday evening (I cooked) and he was really excited to be moving in with his girlfriend in their new place. I also gave him some of my old books that he loves. I will miss them (I had English and Dutch copies of the same books), but I know he will give them a good home and take care of them. We're planning on visiting them next weekend and see the new apartment.

I've been feeling sick and nauseated for a few days now, I think I'm having stomach flu or such. My mum said she had it for a week last week, so it could well be. It's hard to concentrate on much when I feel like I'm going to throw up.

On a brighter note, my brother's move is going well and I think they're progressing nicely with it.

We're planning on visiting them next weekend and see the new apartment.

:jump: So excited for your brother- even though he stole all your books :lol:  Super happy about the visit.

I hope you feel better :flowers2:

Took OH to the garden centre this morning, which also has a fantastic vegetarian cafe inside, so I stopped for a coffee and a gluten-free brownie (and obviously a sneaky couple of chapters of my book) while he wandered round picking out plants and seeds. :)

Back home this afternoon, and I had a problematic sewing afternoon, and now just having another quiet night in, catching up with some old wildlife programmes we recorded ages ago.

I've had a lovely, busy weekend. Jojo and I had our first agility show yesterday, she worked brilliantly and managed to get placed 2nd in one of the three classes we entered, so happy and makes all the training worthwhile.

Today we spent the afternoon at my sister in laws with all the cousins and grandparents, we had a very fun (and sunny!) Easter egg hunt - I was rugby tackled by my youngest son at one point as I got the egg he wanted! :D - and then a lovely dinner and relaxing chat while the kids watched the footie on TV.

Now enjoying a quiet evening with my man watching Louis Theroux's new show. :)

:jump: So excited for your brother- even though he stole all your books :lol:  Super happy about the visit.

I hope you feel better :flowers2:

Took OH to the garden centre this morning, which also has a fantastic vegetarian cafe inside, so I stopped for a coffee and a gluten-free brownie (and obviously a sneaky couple of chapters of my book) while he wandered round picking out plants and seeds. :)

Back home this afternoon, and I had a problematic sewing afternoon, and now just having another quiet night in, catching up with some old wildlife programmes we recorded ages ago.

I'm glad you had fun though I'm sorry about the sewing problem.

I actually did nothing today. Haven't even done all that much reading (which I'm gonna go fix, once I put the laptop down). Just feeling a bit off.

Awwww, I hope you feel better soon :(.

I've had a lovely, busy weekend. Jojo and I had our first agility show yesterday, she worked brilliantly and managed to get placed 2nd in one of the three classes we entered, so happy and makes all the training worthwhile.

Today we spent the afternoon at my sister in laws with all the cousins and grandparents, we had a very fun (and sunny!) Easter egg hunt - I was rugby tackled by my youngest son at one point as I got the egg he wanted! :D - and then a lovely dinner and relaxing chat while the kids watched the footie on TV.

Now enjoying a quiet evening with my man watching Louis Theroux's new show. :)

I'm glad you had fun and I'm proud of Jojo!