Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nearly halfway through The Rosie Effect. Even though I was already reading another book, Plain Truth, I couldn't keep myself from reading TRE because I just could not wait any longer  :smile:

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's nice to see the same characters in a new setting and facing a whole new problem. 

I'm nearly halfway through The Rosie Effect. Even though I was already reading another book, Plain Truth, I couldn't keep myself from reading TRE because I just could not wait any longer  :smile:

Hehehehe! :lol: So happy to hear you're enjoying the sequel! :smile2: 

I started reading The Book Stops Here by Ian Sansom, the third novel in the Mobile Library series. 

I finished reading The Humans by Matt Haig. What a wonderful book. One of the best I have read this year. This is the type book that makes me glad that I enjoy reading. :readingtwo: :)

Edited by muggle not

YAY! I hope you like it. Lots of pressure on me for recommending it :lol:

I loved it! Thank you so much for recommending it to me :). My review will be posted soon (once I finish reading all the unread posts on the forum) :).

I'm still not finding much time to read so only half way through The Dynamite Room. Have managed to order/pre order three books though!

I hope you enjoy your new books when you have some time to read them :).

I finished Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. It's the first book I've finished in ages. :hide:  I really enjoyed it, and I'm about to look online for more background to the story. Then it's back on to Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything.

I hope your reading will get a bit better, it's not nice you haven't been reading as much when you want to. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I've read a little more of Allegiant. The constant changing between characters is jarring (is that what y'all were referring to?)

I found it jarring too, and I felt that the two perspectives weren't that unique, they weren't different enough in style if that makes sense? Their way of thinking seemed very similar.

Kenny gave me 'The Memory Book' by Rowan Colman....was one of 5 titles I gave him off my wishlist. Choccies from other son.

I hope you enjoy it :)! I have one book by the author on my TBR, not that one though. I quite liked three books she wrote under a different penname, Scarlett Bailey.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's nice to see the same characters in a new setting and facing a whole new problem.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! My copy is on its way and will hopefully be here by the end of the week. I'm really eager to start reading the book.

I finished reading The Humans by Matt Haig. What a wonderful book. One of the best I have read this year. This is the type book that makes me glad that I enjoy reading. :readingtwo:  :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Humans :)!

I read Hans Magnus Enzensberger - De Telduivel: Een Hoofdkussenboek Voor Iedereen Die Bang Voor Wiskunde Is (Der Zahlenteufel) yesterday, a children's book I've read quite a few times when I was a child and young teenager. I'm not sure yet which book I'll read next, though I've made a little pile of several books that I might pick to read and will make a choice of them later today when I have time to do some reading..

I found it jarring too, and I felt that the two perspectives weren't that unique, they weren't different enough in style if that makes sense? Their way of thinking seemed very similar.

It makes complete sense! It was the first thing I noticed. I actually read a couple of pages of Tobias' first chapter before I realised it was from his point of view. I just wondered why Tris was suddenly talking about herself in the third person.  :giggle2:  There's no real difference in style at all. If an author is going to have alternate chapters from the point of view of two different characters, you would think the author would pay extra attention to the style to make sure they're different! Another example is, from Tobias' point of view, his interactions with his mother seemed very different to what Tris had always witnessed.

It makes complete sense! It was the first thing I noticed. I actually read a couple of pages of Tobias' first chapter before I realised it was from his point of view. I just wondered why Tris was suddenly talking about herself in the third person.  :giggle2:  There's no real difference in style at all. If an author is going to have alternate chapters from the point of view of two different characters, you would think the author would pay extra attention to the style to make sure they're different! Another example is, from Tobias' point of view, his interactions with his mother seemed very different to what Tris had always witnessed.

I agree! I didn't think it was well done, and it makes sense what you're saying about Tobias and his mother. I have read other books with multiple viewpoints, just recently for example Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult, and the perspectives in that are very different from each other. In Allegiant the 'voices' of the two characters were just too similar. I did like some of the new things that we learn in Allegiant about the world, but I'm not sure how far you are in it so I can't say too much. I do feel it was the least good book of the trilogy, though I'd say it's still worth reading to get a conclusion and some answers, but it's not as good as the other two (Divergent I like the best out of the three books).

I started to read Brandon Sanderson - Elantris, I read a couple of pages of a few books but somehow this one sucked me in straight away, so I'm going to read this book.

Edited by Athena

Into the last 20% of The Dynamite Room, hopefully will get to finish it this evening.. It's all coming together and I want to know how

It ends!!!!!

I am glad you are enjoying it, I will be getting it tomorrow!

I finished reading The Humans by Matt Haig. What a wonderful book. One of the best I have read this year. This is the type book that makes me glad that I enjoy reading. :readingtwo:  :)

:exc: I'm pleased you liked it, it made me happy to be a reader as well :)

Another example is, from Tobias' point of view, his interactions with his mother seemed very different to what Tris had always witnessed.

That might get cleared up a bit or excused, in this book.  I don't know, I can justify it, but I have a leniency with plots that not everyone does.  I agree with Gaia, about it being the least of the 3... I think I liked Insurgent more though... but I love middles.

Having problems with my Kindle at the moment :Tantrum: Will have to use my Mayday button... like NOW.  Still reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and loving it... HOPING to read it in the next few minutes.  Grrrr.

Having problems with my Kindle at the moment :Tantrum: Will have to use my Mayday button... like NOW.  Still reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and loving it... HOPING to read it in the next few minutes.  Grrrr.

I hope you can get it fixed :(!

I am about 55% into The Humans and loving the book. :smile:

So glad you enjoyed it, its such a lovely book and so funny!

Finally finished This Changes Everything. It took me about a month to read. :sarcastic:

Now it's on to Only Ever Yours. Really excited about starting it. :boogie:

Wahey, I'm really excited about you finishing it and sharing your thoughts! :giggle: Enjoy!

What a wonderful compliment, so pleased you enjoyed it, muggle. :smile2:

Now it's on to Only Ever Yours. Really excited about starting it. :boogie:

Ooh, can't wait to see what you make of it :D

I am glad you are enjoying it, I will be getting it tomorrow!

I can't believe you're getting it already … it seemed like it would be *ages* to wait when you first mentioned the publication date! Hope you like it. :)

I couldn't fit The Dark Tourist in my bag, so I've still got one chapter to read, but I did pick up The Wolf Princess again, and I'm about a third of the way through now. Also very excited that a book I pre-ordered comes out tomorrow so I want to finish both of the others, so I can start Prudence by Gail Carriger sooner rather than later! :exc:

I finished The Dynamite Room, I liked it but not quite as much as I'd hoped.

My daughter has made the next Book Box selection and it is... The Lost Girls, the true story of three friends who put their everyday lives on hold to travel four continents to have the adventure of their lives!

I'm over two thirds of the way through The Wolf Princess and I have about 40 pages left of The Dark Tourist, and I'm now desperate to finish them as Prudence arrived on my Kindle this morning after I pre-ordered it back last summer, and I'm desperate to start it as soon as possible! :D

Just finished Middlemarch, which is what can only be described as a 'monumental' read. Wow. Absolutely loved it!  A clear six stars out of six.

Edited by willoyd

Absolutely hooked on Only Ever Yours. Very scary but also quite believable (given the circumstances).

I looked this one up because I was interested and a lot of people were talking about it and it isn't available in the US as a physical book until May 12 :(

I looked this one up because I was interested and a lot of people were talking about it and it isn't available in the US as a physical book until May 12 :(

Hm... for Kindle as well.  Greatly disappointed as the synopsis sounds like something I'd be into.

75% now in Gilead.  I don't know why it is taken me so long to read such a short book.  I've been reading so slow lately.  Finished a long article yesterday in BBC History Magazine on the history of Aquitaine, England and France.  It was very good.

I am currently reading "Language of Hoofbeats" by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I am about 25% into the book and It is a typical "good" CRH book.

That's great to hear! I don't own that one but it's nice to hear you're enjoying it :). I should read another one of hers again soon, well somewhere in the next while.

I'm a little over half way through Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, I've read "part one" of the story and am at the beginning of "part two" (page 369 out of 622, excluding excerpt). I'm really enjoying the story. I had to stop though because, as with most longer, epic and more complicated books, I needed some time to process the story and the plot twists. I plan to read more though after I'm finished browsing the forum.