Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

Just bought The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. It's only £1.79 for the Kindle edition (not sure for how long, so snap it up if you're interested, as it's usually over £6). It's received many favourable reviews, so really looking forward to reading this one. :boogie:

I hope you enjoy it :).

I also snapped it up :D

I'm now close to the end of the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - taken nearly a month! Just don't have much time at the moment unfortunately. Hope that should change soon. I have a growing TBR pile and a constant read pile.

I hope you also enjoy it, and that you have more time to read soon :).

I'm half way in Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic 7: Shopaholic to the Stars at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also snapped it up :D

Just bought The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. It's only £1.79 for the Kindle edition (not sure for how long, so snap it up if you're interested, as it's usually over £6). It's received many favourable reviews, so really looking forward to reading this one. :boogie:

Wahey, good for you both. I quoted ye in reverse, the above looks a little odd :roll::lol:

One of my favourite reads of the year, and divides people a little, so I'm looking forward to hearing both of your thoughts!

I'm 126 pages into Half Bad, and am really enjoying it. Really feel for Nathan, not sure what way things are going to go. Also started The Death House by Sarah Pinsborough after reading a review by Weave, and so far that's really good too but I'm only about 20 pages in.

I've also borrowed Yesterday's Gone Season 3 on my Kindle app from the lovely Anna, which is an awesome little feature and I have two whole weeks in which to read it, so really happy about that because I just can't afford to buy it right now.

I started Wool last night. It's a good start so far, but I'm having trouble visualising just how big this Silo is. It must be massive!

................................... I don't know why I keep buying these books when I have so many outstanding on my TBR pile. It's a sickness, I tell you. :lol:

For which I sincerely hope there is no cure!! :D  This is where we'll be Thursday..... http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/LA/Metairie/70002/833589?utm_source=bellsouth.net&utm_medium=email&utm_term=70431&utm_content=New-Orleans-LA&utm_campaign=2015-03-30-3DaysBefore   (note the 4000+ books for sale)

Glad you're enjoying Wool....yes, I believe the silos are based on ones in the Midwest U.S.  I wonder at the sizes as well...but the ones in the story were underground as well, so maybe they were old missile silos.  I think they'd be much larger than grain silos. 

Gee, I'm almost tempted....even though I have the hardback...../sigh/ :wacko:

I hope you enjoy it!

I was tempted to try Gone Girl but then with all the film talk, I heard someone spoil the ending and it seems pointless to read a plot driven book if you know the ending, so I'll probably not bother now.  :shrug: 

Frankie, the ending in the film was the same.  But, Claire, don't let that stop you...it's the journey that is interesting. :)

Edited by pontalba

Read some more of Heap House today. It's fine, but it's not really grabbing me at the moment, but I'm still only a little way in.  Didn't really feel in the reading mood at lunchtime though, so maybe that's the problem too. :shrug:

Oh :( disappointing! Hope it catches fire :) 

Am about two thirds of the way through Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn .. it's okay .. a page turner .. but the characters don't seem real to me. I'm probably comparing it to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins .. those characters, for the most part, seemed painfully real. I am past the major twist but I was expecting it so it came as no surprise .. I can sense there's more to come though.

Halfway through Campari for Breakfast by Sara Crowe and am loving it :D It's a horrible thought to think I will finish it soon .. I want to stay reading about Sue forever (or .. for ages anyway :D) Great book .. I highly recommend it. Also spending time at St Clare's .. they're talking about spanking people with hairbrushes again! :D

Glad you're enjoying Wool....yes, I believe the silos are based on ones in the Midwest U.S.  I wonder at the sizes as well...but the ones in the story were underground as well, so maybe they were old missile silos.  I think they'd be much larger than grain silos. 

When I first started reading it, I assumed they were talking about grain silos, but they must be far larger. I can take several days to get from the top to the bottom, so they must be huge!

Halfway through Campari for Breakfast by Sara Crowe and am loving it :D It's a horrible thought to think I will finish it soon .. I want to stay reading about Sue forever (or .. for ages anyway :D) Great book .. I highly recommend it. Also spending time at St Clare's .. they're talking about spanking people with hairbrushes again! :D

I'm so glad you're enjoying Campari for Breakfast … the cover is fabulous, and as Agatha Swanburne once said, "Every book is judged by its cover until it is read" so I've already judged it as a brilliant book, so good to know it's living up to the cover. :D

I'm so glad you're enjoying Campari for Breakfast … the cover is fabulous, and as Agatha Swanburne once said, "Every book is judged by its cover until it is read" so I've already judged it as a brilliant book, so good to know it's living up to the cover. :D

:D It truly is .. it will be on your pile when I've finished with it :)  

This sounds totally awesome, I hope you have a lot of fun and that you return with lots of nice books :D!

Some Emotithings have been culled.

I'm mighty mighty pleased!! I only hope you could get a hold of the later books, too! That is, if you like the omnibus

I'm tempted to do a re-read... :blush:

Well, since that I have the 1 to 3 of the books to read, I have stopped reading the Ask Your Analyst book, as I can get it as a ebook later.  :smile: I'm pretty sure that all the Anastasia series will be worth it, as the way Lois writes them are hilarious  :D

How could you resist?!? =D (Did you buy it already? :giggle2: )

Oh god, the cover is hideous :o I love mine. 

anastasia_good_cover.jpg

Edit: Marie H, I still have your latest PM to get to, re: Don, but I just wanted to say that if you want to talk more about Anastasia, you're more than welcome to PM me about her, too!! 

I did buy the Sam ebook, and it's only are shortish book . Well, that's my excuse.... :giggle2:

And I love her parents! 

I wish I had a better cover, as it is truly hideous!  :angry: What were they thinking by putting that dreadful cover?!!  The cover of your book is good, but I see that the recent editions covers are a bit chick lit too, which is very sad too.

51UbpOTIcbL._SY90_.jpg

Which is much, much better. That 90s one was awful, as it does not show the character of Anastasia at all *FUME WITH ANGER* 

Ooh yeah, I will PM you about these books, as there so many great bits!!  I love it when her parents look after the children and general household chores on different days - egalitarian ideas are great!  :D 

I must read his divisive book on that. I'm not sure I'll like it, but the fact that this relationship is one he is aware of and talks about, makes me interested. It's a very important point, one which you are correct (and so is he), is not mentioned often. I suffer horrendously from anxiety, and in my early twenties I thought I suffered from depression but I think I actually have (and have always had) depressive tendencies as a result of chronic anxiety.

Yes, it's hardly ever mentioned, but I went through a hideous 3 months, feeling that I was becoming unhinged, when I was so stressed and I felt that I had only sleeping 1 or 2 hours a night, but I was never sleepy. The early morning waking, with the panic attacks were so frightening! They were so physical and mentally frightening, I was so surprised that my GP diagnosed it as anxiety and mild depression, as It seemed impossible to me that what were totally opposites could happen at the same time. 

I was wary of Haig's choice not to have any medication at all, but he did explain his reasons, and then I did understand more why that was his choice.

But, I still think that his choice not to take any medication is.....unsettling :unsure: . He says that he isn't anti-medication, but for me he still came over as anti-medication. I must read this book soon!

But, I still think that his choice not to take any medication is.....unsettling :unsure: . He says that he isn't anti-medication, but for me he still came over as anti-medication. I must read this book soon!

This was one of the things I wasn't so keen on, and I agree with what you say - it was as if he said all the right things, but didn't believe them. 

Also started The Death House by Sarah Pinsborough after reading a review by Weave, and so far that's really good too but I'm only about 20 pages in.

I was a little disappointed in this - so you'll probably like it! It was pretty good, but I had different expectations I think.

But, I still think that his choice not to take any medication is.....unsettling :unsure: . He says that he isn't anti-medication, but for me he still came over as anti-medication.

I agree, that is unsettling. I haven't read the book, and it is of course his own choice, but I do think if someone has big problems and the doctors recommend a medication, it's worth a shot. My uncle suffered from a major depression when he was a teenager, but my grandparents (his parents) didn't allow him any medication because they believed the devil had possessed their son. My uncle spent many years in a deep dark hole, and it wasn't until he was of age that he started to recover, he was given medication in the end once he was of age and he also spend some time on a 'care farm' (is that a thing in other countries?). I don't know the exact details of the story as neither he nor his parents like to talk about it (I don't think any of them like to think back of those times). I just know these bits from my dad (his brother). My uncle has autism, like I do too, but I don't often see him or talk with him. I do always feel connected with him despite us not seeing each other much, because we have this in common and we don't need to say much to know we feel the same about certain things.

I started to read Do van Ranst - Duina 5-8: Dina is Terug Omnibus: Verre Vrienden en een Vlek, Boze Buren en Bikini's, Tranen van Stroop en Theater; Gedoe, Gedonder en een Wonder, I'm in book 5 at the moment, Verre Vrienden en een Vlek. I haven't read books 1-4 in this series, but the story so far is easily followable. The book is written in Flemish, which is slightly different than Dutch, and that makes for interesting reading for me. The writing style is nice and different than what I mostly read (it could be the Flemish, though). So far I'm finding the story pretty interesting.

This sounds totally awesome, I hope you have a lot of fun and that you return with lots of nice books :D!

Thanks, we are really looking forward to it! :)

While I haven't, and probably won't read this book, from what y'all have posted, it sounds disturbing.  It makes me remember Tom Cruise's diatribe on Brooke Shields taking of meds for her post-partum depression.  Cruise really went nuts on the subject (on Oprah of all things).  

I'm not one to take any medication I don't need, but when I need it, it's done.  If something helps a person to function, they should take the doctor's advice and take it. 

:D It truly is .. it will be on your pile when I've finished with it :)  

I'm a third of the way through Heap House now … I don't think I'm going to abandon it, but I'm not as enamoured of it as the people who have quotes on the cover (including Man Booker Prize winner Eleanor Catton) … I wanted to like it so much, but there are a few little things that are vexing, and it still doesn't feel as if it's got going yet and I'm 140 pages in.  Hmm.

Claire, I picked up a signed version of Heap House at YALC last year - I started it, and never never finished it. It looks good sitting in my signed collection though. 

I wondered if I was just not in the right mood for it when I started, but it just seems to be rather slow going.  You make a good point though, at least it looks nice! :D

I think one of the big problems I can share that I had about Reasons to Stay Alive is that some people just need medication.  Not everyone can do what he does and be on the sunny side of things just by doing... Agh!  I can't ruin the book.  But I said what I could in my review.  In fact, I had so many problems with this book, I wrote two reviews: one for me just to vent and one for the board without spoilers.

I finished Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth last night (review in my thread) and now am deciding between a short novel (The Giver) or a longer one (World Without End).

Yes, it's hardly ever mentioned, but I went through a hideous 3 months, feeling that I was becoming unhinged, when I was so stressed and I felt that I had only sleeping 1 or 2 hours a night, but I was never sleepy. The early morning waking, with the panic attacks were so frightening! They were so physical and mentally frightening, I was so surprised that my GP diagnosed it as anxiety and mild depression, as It seemed impossible to me that what were totally opposites could happen at the same time. 

I was wary of Haig's choice not to have any medication at all, but he did explain his reasons, and then I did understand more why that was his choice.

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced something like that, but I can relate :empathy: 

This was one of the things I wasn't so keen on, and I agree with what you say - it was as if he said all the right things, but didn't believe them. 

I'm becoming more and more intrigued by this! I've been following him on Twitter, and I can't much say I actually like him as a person, based on his tweets.

I was a little disappointed in this - so you'll probably like it! It was pretty good, but I had different expectations I think.

Hmmmmmm maybe! :P I'm still enjoying it, but I want to finish Half Bad first because I'm afraid of getting them mixed up a bit in my head.

I think one of the big problems I can share that I had about Reasons to Stay Alive is that some people just need medication.  Not everyone can do what he does and be on the sunny side of things just by doing...

Yeah, I don't know what the thing is, but I have a feeling the attitude he has is similar to that of an Irish DJ in a autobiography I read a while back, where said DJ basically went on about healing yourself from within and I was just like, nope, some people just can't do that.

In other news, I've less than 100 pages to go in Half Bad, it's very unique; it seems to have been largely setup so far, I feel like I haven't seen much of the bigger picture but that kind of works I guess in the context of a young fella being persecuted for no reason other than his ancestry. We know what he knows. Definitely very good though, and will be checking out the next installment in the series.

I've got maybe 50 pages left of No Humans Involved so I could possibly finish tonight after I get home from the gym.  After getting up at 5:30am this morning I'm not sure I'll feel like it! 

After this I might start the next in the Kelley Armstrong series or since it's pay day on Friday I might go buy the next Alan Bradley.  Decisions!

There was a lot that I didn't like about Reasons to Stay Alive, I had a problem with most of the book, pretty much.  The medication issue I guess, has been the most controversial.  Haig likes to cites facts, then gives irresponsible opinions and views on them, IMO.  :shrug:

Edited to add:  I picked The Giver as my new read.

Edited by Anna Begins

Edited to add:  I picked The Giver as my new read.

I hope you enjoy it :)!

I've finished Do van Ranst - Dina 5: Verre Vrienden en een Vlek, which is the first book in the omnibus edition I borrowed from the library. I'll be continuing on with book 6 later today, Boze Buren en Bikini's (there are four books in the omnibus in total). The book is by a Flemish author and is therefore written in Flemish. It's interesting to read, I don't often read Flemish books nor do I often hear Flemish but it's nice for a change. Some words and expressions are different (and of course in speaking terms so are some of the pronounciations), but I was able to understand almost all of the book I just finished.