Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

Thanks for the help Athena! Even if you don't have exact titles, that is alright. Just knowing the author and then looking up synopses should be sufficient to finding something I like  :smile:

You're welcome, I hope you find something you like :).

I'm reading Witches abroad by Terry Pratchett at the moment and struggling a little. I just can't get into the witch stories as much as I can the wizard and Death stories.

I've been feeling the same. I do enjoy the Witches stories when I read them, somehow I just find them harder to start. I don't know why, exactly, as once I'm reading the book for a while I do enjoy it a lot.

I finished Allegiant today. Good read.

I'm glad to hear this :).

I finished Plain Truth today and due to some pushing and suggesting that I should really give it a go, I will be starting 11/22/63 sometime today.

I hope you enjoy it :)

I did not read as much as I would have liked, today. Whoops.

Awwww :(, I hope you get some more nice reading time soon.

I finally received Graeme Simsion - Don Tillman 2: The Rosie Effect in the post and have started reading it. I'm enjoying it so far though I'm not finding it as brilliant yet as the first book. But I'm not even a third into the book so things can change, I am enjoying it though.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pushed through and finished Witches abroad by Terry Pratchett tonight. I'm looking to start Persuasion by Jane Austen tomorrow. I decided that this year I wanted to read more classics so every fifth book in the month will be a classic - so I'll have at least 12 read this year. It's working well so far.

I'm interested to see how you like Persuasion. It has been on my TBR for awhile now and I hope to get to it soon :)

I'm about 200 pages into 11/22/63 and I'm really liking it. I'm amazed at how quickly I have read it in such a small amount of time that I've had to read. It's such an intriguing topic and quite a pageturner. 

Started High Rising by Angela Thirkell - the first of the Barsetshire series. I have read the fifth in the series Summer Half first (by accident) , and it was very good. A sort of mix of Evelyn Waugh meets E. F.Benson, with a soupçon of Joyce Grenfell.

Also reading Lois Lowry's Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Kindle edition)  :smile: . What a hoot to read, for Anastasia is turning 13 years old, and her 3 year old brother Sam seems to be a genius :D , but still in wet nappies, and with tomato ketchup everywhere   :giggle2: .

I will have to finish this book in the next week, as I have cancelled the Kindle Unlimited subscription, as it doesn't really work out for me. It's okay if I was a YA who reads mostly fantasy and SF run of the mill books, but it's not worth it for me. :shrug:

Ouch! You need some comfy cosy reads to snuggle up with. Hope you feel better soon Alex  :empathy: 

Hope you feel better soon, Alex.  :empathy:  I've finished book 2 of Middlemarch too.

I didn't make much progress on Prudence yesterday, as I was busy with other things.  Hoping to find a bit of time for some reading today, but not looking hopeful at the moment.  :unsure: 

Thanks guys  :empathy:  Dental hell round 2 today so have reached the halfway point of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and am 100 pages into Shooting Elvis by R M Eversz, which is...interesting. 

Also reading Lois Lowry's Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Kindle edition)  :smile: . What a hoot to read, for Anastasia is turning 13 years old, and her 3 year old brother Sam seems to be a genius :D , but still in wet nappies, and with tomato ketchup everywhere   :giggle2: .

I will have to finish this book in the next week, as I have cancelled the Kindle Unlimited subscription, as it doesn't really work out for me. It's okay if I was a YA who reads mostly fantasy and SF run of the mill books, but it's not worth it for me. :shrug:

Yeah I had it for the trial month and there were maybe 10 books that interested me. Definitely not enough to pay the $10 a month. I've never heard of that Lois Lowry book. I've read The Giver and Number the Stars. Would you recommend it?

Thanks guys  :empathy:  Dental hell round 2 today so have reached the halfway point of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and am 100 pages into Shooting Elvis by R M Eversz, which is...interesting. 

Aw!  Bless your heart!  I am sorry!

Have managed another chapter of Prudence, which if I'd hadn't been tempted by other things, I would definitely have devoured.  Almost looking forward to going back to work, just to have a lunch break reading session again! :D

I am glad you are enjoying it!

I finally finished Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and have moved on to The Man Who Ended the World by Jason Gurley, to go with 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors.  In which, I reached story #27 today.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon :(!

I finally finished Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and have moved on to The Man Who Ended the World by Jason Gurley, to go with 101 Very Short Stories by 101 Authors.  In which, I reached story #27 today.

You're reading them pretty quickly! I hope you enjoy The Man Who Ended the World :).

I finished The Rosie Effect and have read a few short stories of the 101 Stories [...] book.

Ooooh!!! Oooooh!!!! :exc: Anastasia!! :wub: I'm so pleased to hear you're enjoying the novel! I'm so thrilled you have no idea! Isn't Anastasia just the best, and Sam? Are you able to read the other books in the series, too? 

Yeah I had it for the trial month and there were maybe 10 books that interested me. Definitely not enough to pay the $10 a month. I've never heard of that Lois Lowry book. I've read The Giver and Number the Stars. Would you recommend it?

I think the Anastasia books are very different from the books you've mentioned, but I love them. They are one of my favorite books from my childhood and I still re-read them every now and then. They are so incisive. 

Aside from reading some of the short stories now and then, I have just started to re-read a (short) book from my childhood, Nina Rauprich - Lena is Anders (Lena Ist Anders, a Young-Adult book about a teenage girl who lives with just her mother (her father left them when Lena was a baby). Her mother is very much into spiritual things, but Lena isn't so sure. She feels different from other teenagers and I think this is one of the things I really identified with. I don't think the book has been translated into English that I can find ('anders' means different), I have a Dutch translation of the original German book. I don't remember a whole lot about the book other than that I liked it a lot, and so far it has been quite enjoyable to read. I quite like the writing style and look forward to see what will happen in the story.

The reason I haven't yet started the big 600+ page book I really want to read, is because I plan on going to the library soon to get some read-a-thon material, and I don't want to start a big book just before going to the library, in case I find something longer and really interesting that I want to read and that isn't read-a-thon material.

Edited by Athena

Frankie recommended the Anastasia series, as she loves them! Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst is from the viewpoint of the 13 year old child, and it is very humorous. 

Ooooh!!! Oooooh!!!! :exc: Anastasia!! :wub: I'm so pleased to hear you're enjoying the novel! I'm so thrilled you have no idea! Isn't Anastasia just the best, and Sam? Are you able to read the other books in the series, too? 

I have tried to find some e-books of the earlier years of Anastasia books, but they are difficult to find (well, I can't find the early ones  :giggle2: , and the mid series e-books are around £4 each. But today I found Anastasia: "Anastasia Krupnik", "Anastasia Again!", "Anastasia at Your Service" (Three-in-one) as a second hand paperback, for 1p and £2.80 p&p! So I have ordered it today! . What fun!!  :D Anastasia is such a character, and Sam is hilarious too. He is 3 years old, and he types stories on his fathers typewriter!. Anastasia thinks that he is sooo embarrassing, as well her parents too.  :giggle2:

I have tried to find some e-books of the earlier years of Anastasia books, but they are difficult to find (well, I can't find the early ones  :giggle2: , and the mid series e-books are around £4 each. But today I found Anastasia: "Anastasia Krupnik", "Anastasia Again!", "Anastasia at Your Service" (Three-in-one) as a second hand paperback, for 1p and £2.80 p&p! So I have ordered it today! . What fun!!  :D Anastasia is such a character, and Sam is hilarious too. He is 3 years old, and he types stories on his fathers typewriter!. Anastasia thinks that he is sooo embarrassing, as well her parents too.  :giggle2:

Omg omg omg!! Best news ever! :exc: So cheap, and so awesome! :wub: I'm really glad you found the books!! Anastasia is so great. I love how there's a different sort of theme or thing in each novel. Don't you love how Anastasia got the bust of Freud and did sessions with him? Hilarious :D I was a kid when I first read all the books and so I also wanted to find something like that :D Sam is like no other kid. I love it how he's so smart in so many ways but then he's not as advanced in other areas of life. There's this most funniest thing ever in one of the books, with Sam and a flashlight. 

And I love Anastasia's parents. They are so cool and smart but down-to-earth and loving and just the best parents ever. You're going to have such a great time with the books :wub:

Edit: I only found out a few years ago that there are also books about Sam! I've meant to buy and read them when I have money :blush: 

I finished reading Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe last night and started reading Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story by Andrea Bennett. 

Edited by frankie

I am 39% into reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is an amazing book and almost broke my heart reading it so far. I need to finish the book before recommending it but at this point I would say that it is a must read for most of us.

I am 39% into reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is an amazing book and almost broke my heart reading it so far. I need to finish the book before recommending it but at this point I would say that it is a must read for most of us.

Yeah!!  I am so glad you are liking the book!  I :wub: Louie!  We can talk about it in one of our threads when you finish, if you want.  I'd love to tell you my favorite part, but right now, it would spoil it.

I started my first Jodi Picoult book last night, staying up to read nearly 100 pages in one go!  It is called Plain Truth, about an Amish murder.

I started my first Jodi Picoult book last night, staying up to read nearly 100 pages in one go!  It is called Plain Truth, about an Amish murder.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)! I'm sure I'll enjoy it too when I read it, though I'm torn between that one or Nineteen Minutes for my next Picoult read (which won't be for a while yet as I've just read one).

I went to the library today and borrowed some nice books (mainly for the read-a-thon). I've been so tired I haven't even felt up for reading a book, so I haven't yet picked my next read.

Edited by Athena

I've slowed down a bit, but I'm still roughly on schedule. Nearing the end of Spell or High Water (it has totally picked up, no book has ever made me laugh out loud more than these Scott Meyer books, and I love the time travel conundrum in it!) and I'm steadily getting through Yesterday's Gone Season 2, which is much more focused than the first season (and no harm, either).

Is that what the somewhat newly released movie is based on? I've only seen the previews, but the story sounds amazing. I would obviously love to read the book before watching the movie  :D

Yeah!!  I am so glad you are liking the book!  I :wub: Louie!  We can talk about it in one of our threads when you finish, if you want.  I'd love to tell you my favorite part, but right now, it would spoil it.

Those are the best books. The ones that you lose sleep because of. That happened to me while I was reading Plain Truth as well. I kept saying next available break I'll go to sleep and then I would keep reading... :lol:

though I'm torn between that one or Nineteen Minutes for my next Picoult read (which won't be for a while yet as I've just read one).

Yes, I almost chose Nineteen Minutes.  That will probably be the next one I read.

I've slowed down a bit, but I'm still roughly on schedule. Nearing the end of Spell or High Water (it has totally picked up, no book has ever made me laugh out loud more than these Scott Meyer books, and I love the time travel conundrum in it!) and I'm steadily getting through Yesterday's Gone Season 2, which is much more focused than the first season (and no harm, either).

I'm glad you are enjoying both books!  I liked Season 2, but I like the middles :)

Is that what the somewhat newly released movie is based on? I've only seen the previews, but the story sounds amazing. I would obviously love to read the book before watching the movie  :D

Those are the best books. The ones that you lose sleep because of. That happened to me while I was reading Plain Truth as well. I kept saying next available break I'll go to sleep and then I would keep reading... :lol:

Yes, the movie is based on the book.  The book has a more complete ending- from what I hear.  My mom went to see it, I didn't but I read the book 3 times.

I keep doing that too!  It doesn't help that the parts are short-ish and snappy!  It's like, "I'll just read this one part" and then you see the next lines and then its "ok, just this part" :giggle2:

I'm glad you're enjoying both of these books :D (but in particular, I'm so glad you're liking the Scott Meyer books!).

I've read a few pages in Anne Frank - Het Achterhuis: Dagboekbrieven 12 juni 1934 - 1 augustus 1944, it's interesting so far so I think I'll make it my next read.