How far to a library?

Athena

I love that community library box! The fact that someone took time to paint it with all the vines really makes it seem like something that’s appreciated.

On 12/02/2021 at 8:02 AM, Brian. said:

I read a story online yesterday about somone who has suffered abuse for having one of these. Sometime I hate people.

I saw that too, it was an absolutely ridiculous argument. I’m not even sure that many people can genuinely have been angry about it. I think some people just really enjoy taking part in ganging up on someone online. Similar mindset to a playground bully but with added self-righteousness and anonymity. 

I have a library very close to me, no more than half a mile. It’s hours were reduced a few years ago, when we had all the library cuts, but I don’t think it’s in serious danger of closing.  The computers are used all the time and it’s also the neighbourhood office. If it did close the nearest one is only a couple of miles further away. I suppose that’s one upside of living in a busy city!

• 1 year later...

I live about 25 minutes’ walk from my local library, and it’s only a couple of minutes away from where I work, so I use it on a regular basis.

We have a central library and a few smaller libraries in my town, but they also have an online catalogue which means you can reserve books from any library in the county (not just in your town) and they will transfer it from one library to another and email/text you when it is ready for collection.  I love this service as it increases the number of books available to you without having to travel to other libraries/towns which is handy for me as I don’t drive.

I have put myself on a book-buying-ban and I am now trying to either read books that I already own, or I am using my local library service.  Occasionally I will pop into the local charity shops and pick up a couple of books this way, but other than this I am using my library exclusively for new releases etc.

I think in current times it is even more important to use and support your local libraries and would always encourage you to do so.

We had a fabulous Library here in our town, for most of my life. massive, with seperate reading rooms etc it was a joy to visit. A few years ago, the local council (in their infinite wisdom) closed it, and opened a 'new' library inside our Council House (Town Hall) which is very tiny and is only realistically one small room inside the main building. Poor selection of books to borrow, no reading room(s), generally very poor. I have only visited it once just to have a look; I won't be returning so far as I can see.