James Bowen to Open Bob's World Cat Café in London

frankie

I saw this bit of news today and thought this would interest some of the Bob and James fans on here! :smile2:

http://consciouscat.net/2015/02/24/james-bowen-to-open-bobs-world-cat-cafe-in-london/

"James Bowen and his cat Bob have been capturing hearts ever since A Street Cat Named Bob: And How He Saved My Life was first published in the UK in the spring of 2012. The book has since become an international bestseller. There are reports of a movie deal, and just last week, news broke of a licensing deal for Bob themed merchandise. I’m a huge fan of James and Bob, and for me, it’s been a joy to watch this unlikely success story of a former drug addict and his rescued cat unfold. James and Bob’s latest venture will be a cat cafe in London.

James envisions the cafe as a safe haven for “not only cats that need the love, but for the people who love cats, too.” The café will provide a home for homeless, abused or unwanted cats, and a safe haven for people who love the Bob series, and other like minded individuals, to come in and have tea, coffee and refreshments while being surrounded with cats. Proceeds will go towards UK charities Cats Protection, The Blue cross, The Big Issue Foundation, and Quick Reads.

James Bowen launched an Indiegogo campaign to help cover the start up costs for this venture. The campaign offers a number of perks, ranging from a personalized thank you note from James and Bob to tickets for the opening event and a Skype call with James and Bob. The money raised will be used towards opening the café. James and Bob will also donate to a rotation of their supporting charities, such as The Big Issue foundation, The Blue Cross and Quick rReads.

For more information and to contribute, please visit the Bob’s World Cat Café Indiegogo campaign."

Edited by frankie

Aww, that's so nice! I'm so pleased that James is doing well for himself. I'd love to go there and meet him and Bob and all of the other kitties.

There'll be a cat cafe opening in Sydney hopefully sometime this year. I'll be a visitor there for sure. :)

I wonder where it will be in London, I couldn't see anything in the article that said, maybe in Covent Garden where his story started? Though I can imagine rent would be very high there.  I'll have to pay a visit at some point...and take lots of piccies obviously! :D

Unless you can't even be in a room with a cat without suffering an allergic reaction ... like me! :D

Hmm, yeah, I imagine that would put a bit of a dampener on the whole experience!

You poor thing. I can't imagine not being able to go near cats. :(

It has caused a few problems in the past … used to have to give my aunt about a week's notice before I would visit and she would keep the cats out of the living room for that week and vacuum it thoroughly so that I could stay for the afternoon and evening.  Even then, I'd be suffering a bit by the end of the night. :(

Unless you can't even be in a room with a cat without suffering an allergic reaction ... like me! :D

Yep, that's me too! I always had trouble going to my dad's parents' house when I was a child, I couldn't be in there for more than 15 minutes or I had to go outside because of my allergies. I like to look at cats, but I can't be near them.

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER :D :D :D

Personally I'd prefer dogs but that is only a matter of one's personal taste :smile2: All in all, I agree with you: what could be better than this?! :exc: (As I'm sure you're allowed to bring your own books to read, too, if you like. That is, if you can do any reading what with the kitties getting your undivided attention :D)

Chalie, you got it right: Covent Garden it is! :D

https://londonist.com/2015/02/pet-project-a-street-cat-named-bob-is-launching-a-cat-cafe-in-covent-garden.php

"But with the launch of an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaignearlier this month, a Bob-themed cat café in London is now looking very likely — Bowen has already raised more than £31,000 towards his goal of £125,000, with the campaign set to run until 14 April.

A portion of proceeds from the café will go to charities, including Cat’s ProtectionThe Blue Cross and The Big Issue Foundation.

If you need a reason to donate other than a warm fuzzy feeling and the thought of a cat café in Covent Garden, there are plenty of perks. A £5 donation will get you a personalised thank you letter from Bob (no, we’re not sure either…), £17 will get you a thank you letter and a mug, and £23 will get you a signed book (signed by both Bowen and Bob) and a letter. If you’re feline really generous, £250 will get your name on the café wall along with other Bob-endorsed treats." 

Edited by frankie