Where Bear? by Sophy Henn
Atlas of Adventure by Lucy Letherland, words by Rachel Willams
The Sea Tiger by Victoria Turnbull

Best Fiction for 5-12s:
Girl With A White Dog by Anne Booth
Cowgirl by G R Gemin
The Boy In The Tower by Polly Ho-Yen
Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens
Violet and the Pearl of the Orient by Harriet Whitehorn, illustrated by Becka Moor
A Boy Called Hope by Lara Williamson

Best Book for Teens:
The Apple Tart of Hope by Sarah Moore Fitzgeral
Half Bad by Sally Green
Dead Ends by Erin Lange
Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill
Smart by Kim Slater
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

I like the Waterstone's prize, there are usually some great reads on the list, and this year looks like another good one.  I bought myself a few of the shortlisted books today … Murder Most Unladylike, Violet and the Pearl of the Orient and The Apple Tart of Hope and I suspect I'll be getting a few more from the Teens list too … if not all of them! :D

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to finding out the winners tonight :)

Of the ones I've read, I'd pick Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens in the 5-12s and Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill in the Teen category, but I have to say, I've read four of the teen category and they were all very, very good.  Wish they'd been around when I was a teen! :D

I look back at the children's and teen books I read when I was younger, and they seem very tame and a bit insipid now, and the only books that challenged me were the adult books I read as I became an older teen.  Perhaps I was looking at the wrong books in the library, but from what I remember, even the stories or content considered "challenging" were still told in a very mild way.

I look back at the children's and teen books I read when I was younger, and they seem very tame and a bit insipid now, and the only books that challenged me were the adult books I read as I became an older teen.  Perhaps I was looking at the wrong books in the library, but from what I remember, even the stories or content considered "challenging" were still told in a very mild way.

I think I had a similar experience, the children's and young adult books I read when I was a teenager, were also more mild largely, than the books that are released these days. I saw the same trend in Dutch children's television, what I used to watch when I was a child, was much more mild and less violent than the shows that were broadcast when my brother was that same age (he's seven years younger than me). I don't know about everywhere, but it could be a cultural shift that books for children and teens nowadays contain more challenging content than the ones first published many years ago.

I think the biggest difference must be the internet and that children are exposed to more adult themes and topics aren't brushed under the carpet, and it's now accepted that it's better to educate rather than hide things from young people today.  Fiction is a safe place to explore difficult themes and also to find out they are not alone and they can find someone writing fiction about things they may be experiencing.

And the winners are ...

Best Illustrated Book: Blown Away by Rob Biddulph

Best Fiction for 5-12s: Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens

Best Book for Teens: Half Bad by Sally Green

Really pleased for Robin Stevens, and I loved Sally Green's book too, so in no way am I disappointed that Louise O'Neill didn't win. :)