Library news

chesilbeach

The Library of Congress's has created an online audio archive of major authors reading and discussing their work:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/apr/21/library-of-congress-new-audio-archive-online

This is VERY cool! :D Definitely going to listen to some of these. 

The New York Public Library has published candid photos of patrons taken back in 1944. Very interesting! It would have been so wonderful to visit such a library back in those days, before computers and electronic gadgets. :)

These photos were so interesting to look at. Sometimes I wish that I lived before all the technology because going to a library and looking in a card catalog and searching everywhere for research is so thrilling. I would love to go and sit in a library and just read and research all day, but computers make it so that doesn't have to happen and it's almost like I don't have time for non-technological stuff. Of course I wish I was in that time before I realize that it would mean no Netflix or Hulu :lol:

These photos were so interesting to look at. Sometimes I wish that I lived before all the technology because going to a library and looking in a card catalog and searching everywhere for research is so thrilling. I would love to go and sit in a library and just read and research all day, but computers make it so that doesn't have to happen and it's almost like I don't have time for non-technological stuff. Of course I wish I was in that time before I realize that it would mean no Netflix or Hulu :lol:

Sometimes I want to live in an earlier time, when we weren't surrounded by technology and so many distractions. And then I marvel at the wonders of technology again and I'm pleased to live in 'this' time. Why can't we have the best of both worlds? :D

Sometimes I want to live in an earlier time, when we weren't surrounded by technology and so many distractions. And then I marvel at the wonders of technology again and I'm pleased to live in 'this' time. Why can't we have the best of both worlds? :D

There's a simple answer - just invent a method of time travel, Kylie, then you can go visit any time you like.  Can't be that difficult, can it? :shrug:

There's a simple answer - just invent a method of time travel, Kylie, then you can go visit any time you like.  Can't be that difficult, can it? :shrug:

:doh: Doh! Why didn't I think of that?! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This was such a great story! We definitely need to do more work to help save our libraries. I know I use my library about once a week, and I would be lost without it. And I would spend a lot more money on books  :giggle2: . I know here we have something called Friends of the Library where you can donate money to save Missouri libraries. I'm sure there are similar things throughout the world...

• 1 year later...

Library campaigners present 'innovative agenda' to rescue struggling sector

Libraries seem to be one of the first victims in most local councils budget cuts at the moment, and it's only getting worse, so it's good to see an attempt for someone to come up with some different suggestions for ways to save and improve the service.

Library campaigners present 'innovative agenda' to rescue struggling sector

Libraries seem to be one of the first victims in most local councils budget cuts at the moment, and it's only getting worse, so it's good to see an attempt for someone to come up with some different suggestions for ways to save and improve the service.

I'm sorry to hear the libraries over there are in trouble :(. I hope they can be saved.

And in other, more humorous library news ... :D

Library book returned a century late in San Francisco

Haha :D.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen more news that libraries will be under more risk due to the squeeze on local council budgets again, but at least the Libraries minister has actually stood up for them (to a certain extent) now.

Libraries minister promises to act if councils cannot justify cuts

At least someone is talking about the 1964 Public Libraries and Museums Act which it seems to me gets overlooked when libraries are closed.  Maybe it's just my perception, but we should remember that it's their statutory duty to provide a library service.