Library news

chesilbeach

Libraries are a big topic in the UK book news at the moment, as many are threatened with closure due to pressure on council budgets, so I thought I'd start a topic about libraries in general.

Not related to the closures, but I thought this article about 2014 borrowing figures from UK libraries was interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/13/library-users-firmly-focused-on-fiction

Pleased to see such a prominence of both fiction and children's/YA borrowing :)

This video is awesome.

'The Seattle Public Library launched the 2013 Summer Reading Program by setting a new world record for the longest book domino chain!'

:jump: I love it!!

Libraries are a big topic in the UK book news at the moment, as many are threatened with closure due to pressure on council budgets, so I thought I'd start a topic about libraries in general.

Not related to the closures, but I thought this article about 2014 borrowing figures from UK libraries was interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/13/library-users-firmly-focused-on-fiction

Pleased to see such a prominence of both fiction and children's/YA borrowing :)

I'm sorry to hear the libraries aren't doing well in the UK :(. I'm not sure about the Dutch libraries, though I believe the local library in Deurne (a town nearby where my brother's girlfriend's family lives) was just saved from closure (yay!).

That link is pretty interesting!

This video is awesome.

That is awesome!

It reminded me of this.

That is cool too.

• 4 weeks later...

This video is awesome.

'The Seattle Public Library launched the 2013 Summer Reading Program by setting a new world record for the longest book domino chain!'

That was awesome :D

It reminded me of this.

It's not really library related but I'm edgy like that :P

Both very cool.  Love the creativity. 

It's much nicer than the library we had in my primary school, which was basically a converted broom cupboard!  It was tiny, and I remember having to have our recorder lessons in there as well at times, and with a three children and the teacher, it was packed … no chance for anyone else to come in and borrow a book.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, those are pretty special!

Oh it reminds me, a few days ago an article was posted on a website: 10 Extraordinary Historical Libraries in the Netherlands. It didn't occur to me to share it then but it does now, I know you won't be able to understand all of the text since it's in Dutch, but the pictures are pretty and I had no idea we had such old historic libraries in my country.

Edited by Athena

I've actually sort of cancelled my libary subscription last year. Or rather, converted into a free one where one book costs 3,50. Euros, am too lazy to look for the sign. The library subscription costed me 55 euros each year and went up a few euros each year, and they had less and less books I liked, the english bit became less and it was more and more hype books at both libraries I used.

Haven't got a book from it since. Stick to buying books and getting ebooks.

This video is awesome.

That video is fantastic! I can't imagine how much work it took to design and actually put into reality that book domino chain. 

How's this for a fantastic school library building? 

https://twitter.com/MerylORourke/status/575630239692423168

That reminds me a lot of the Kansas City Public Library, which also has book covers painted on the outside of their parking garage

bookgarage01.jpg

As for our libraries here in Missouri, they are struggling. I don't think closure is ever a problem, but finding the funds to pay librarians and to buy new books is tough, which is why there is a strong Friends of Missouri Libraries group here which donates money and signs petitions to give our state legislature to convince them to continue funding our libraries. Currently our libraries are free and some even don't have late fees in the smaller towns. 

I've seen photos of that lovely library before, but I didn't realise it was painted on the parking garage and not the library itself (although of course it makes sense now that you've mentioned it; otherwise how would people see out of the windows?! :doh:)

I think we should start a movement to petition all of our councils and governments to cover up our ugly parking buildings with pictures of books. :)

I've seen photos of that lovely library before, but I didn't realise it was painted on the parking garage and not the library itself (although of course it makes sense now that you've mentioned it; otherwise how would people see out of the windows?! :doh:)

I think we should start a movement to petition all of our councils and governments to cover up our ugly parking buildings with pictures of books. :)

I didn't realize either until I saw it in person and I was like oh that's the library over there? And this is the parking garage? Hmmm... :lol:

Yes! That would be a fabulous idea. I love that it makes such an ugly but necessary piece of architecture look pretty. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...