Marvel Universe

Raven

• 2 months later...

Beth and I are starting to get into Marvel - she in particular likes all the Spiderman films, and we both enjoyed Avengers Assemble a while ago. I have just bought the first collection of the Civil War comics (1-7 in it, I think) and she says the trailer for the film looks really good. So.. if we both decide to see the film, what sort of catching up should we do prior? I've found various collections on amazon (if this works.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/wishlist/3DO0DAD3MOD28/ref=cm_wl_list_o_11?)- where would be the best place to start?! :)

The Marvel films, in order, are:

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

Avengers Assemble

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

Captain America: The Winter Solider

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

There are a couple of Hulk films as well, but baring one cameo they don't really link in with the above (and they aren't especially good, either).

Although you can watch any of them as stand alone films, I'd recommend working your way through them in order to get the most out of them.

If you just want to see the films that set up Civil War you can possibly skip The Iron Man and Thor films and Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man, but I would recommend you watch The Captain America and Avengers films.

There is a slight possibility that there will be a Guardians/Avengers cross over at some point (I think the best chance of this will be during the two part Infinity War Avengers film that is out in a couple of years). Either way, Iron Man certainly crops up in the Guardians comic books.

Thanks Raven.. I thought you'd come to my rescue! :) I had a quick look, and it looked at if it was Captain America and Iron Man as the main characters? I've just ordered the first CA film, and the second is available on Sky. I also found a good deal on all 3 Iron Man films, so we're getting that too. I think the 2 Avengers ones will also be watched soon, as I can't really remember the first one.

I love Guardians of the Galaxy, and the trailer for Ant Man looked fun. :)

I would say that they are all good films, but for different reasons (the only slight caveat I would put on that is Iron Man 2, which isn't the easiest of films to watch because of where Stark is in his life at that point, but they all fit together pretty well).

Have you seen this box set?

If you are not too fussy about picture quality etc. (i.e. you don't have a problem with DVDs) then this is a good place to start building your collection.

if you want Blu-ray quality, however, look for offers because Marvel Blu-rays are not cheap!

• 4 months later...

I thought it was a crying shame Agent Carter got cancelled. Really enjoyed that 1940s feel and thought the stories were excellent. Agents of SHIELD is good too, although I find they do have the odd "oh come on, that would never happen!" moment. Can't comment on the Netflix ones as we only have Amazon Prime. Don't really watch enough TV to justify having both - although if they did a Judge Dredd series, I might think again :giggle2:

• 5 years later...

As well as watching Black Widow, I caught up with the last episode of What If...? at the weekend. 

Cannot help thinking it should have been called Why Bother...?  Only a couple of good stories all season, but apparently it's been renewed for another run. 

I am looking forward to seeing the Hawkeye series at the end of next month, though.