Beautiful bookshelves

chesilbeach

I would totally create a window seat in that window, so I could lounge around and read in there comfortably without having to move away from those lovely shelves!

I like the white shelves … the shelves in my house are painted, mostly cream, some blue, but in the house in the picture, I think it suits the room.  All our rooms are fairly dark, but I'd love to have a house with lots of natural light and I'd accent it with white shelves, especially as the books on it would give it plenty of colour. :)

My bedroom is actually white, with one corner shelf unit that is white. I also have an oak Argos bookcase (small one) which I was given by a friend - but the same one is in Argos in white, pine, and black. I actually would love to have it in black, as I think that would look pretty cool with all the white going on around it.

My problem with that house above is it feels very clinical to me. I'd definitely prefer it with some black, or maybe just lots of dark woods.

• 1 month later...

I do have a bookcase in my bathroom .. all my Agatha Christie's are in there and have been for a couple of years but no problem with steam damage as yet .. or none that I've noticed and I've read a couple of them lately. They're not quite as near to the bath as the ones in the pic though but the bathroom is tiny so they're not far away.

I'd be more worried about books falling into the water .. or hitting me on the head .. it looks a bit precarious :D

• 9 months later...

Wow, Karl Lagerfeld has beautiful bookshelves! https://twitter.com/Waterstones/status/685460684667240448.  I might steal this idea when we eventually get our bookshelves rebuilt! :D

Actually, on the tweet, if you click on the "via" link you'll find some more beautiful (although some possibly impractical) home libraries. :)

I love those dark brown wooden shelves, Angury! While I'm not a fan of 'antique' books over more modern copies of the same book, I do like those wooden shelves :). I want such shelves for myself. I'm not a fan of the modern 'white' plasticy shelves. I prefer wooden shelves.

I love the first pic in particular, Angury. :)

I'm kind of torn. I love 'old' libraries with leather-bound books, but I also love the type of library I have: cheap and plain bookcases with colourful paperback spines. :)

Maybe one day I'll win lotto and be able to have both! :D

I too love the look of those old-style libraries, and while I want a library of my own, it's not going to be filled with leather-bound tomes. The university where I work has those kinds of bookshelves in some buildings and fancy offices and how dull the titles are! I'd be more inclined to go for the chaotic mish-mash look of an over-full bookshop :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the dream wall, but who would have a house that big!  It does look a bit clinical, but very crisp and clean.

I like the antique bookshelves, although they do look a bit masculine with all the wood panelling.  Like the chairs though!

Edited by Madeleine