What are you listening to? - 2015

Athena

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins. This album I listened to a lot when I started going out with my first boyfriend, and as it turned into an awful relationship, I couldn't listen to the album... Which has been a huge shame because there are so many great songs on it! :( However: I was listening to their other album called Adore a week or so ago, because I associate it with fall, and then when the album was finished, Spotify started playing MCatIS... And I was able to listen to it without a horrible feeling in my gut!  :exc:   This is a huge victory, because this was the very last album that I wasn't able to listen to because of horrible connotations. But now all albums I've previously liked and loved are mine again! :wub: 

Ruth Lowe was a Canadian pianist and songwriter. She wrote the song "I'll Never Smile Again" after her husband died during surgery in 1939. In her deep grief, Ruth returned to live in Toronto and in her lonely apartment, she composed "I'll Never Smile Again".

Approximately a year later, Ruth passed a copy of the tune to a saxophone player in the Tommy Dorsey band, hoping to have Dorsey hear the tune. Dorsey thought the tune had much merit, and arranged it for his very young singer, Frank Sinatra. It was Sinatra's first great hit, and really launched Sinatra on his phenomenal career. Later she composed still another Frank Sinatra hit "Put Your Dreams Away", Frank's 'signature' song, (which was also played at his funeral).

Edited by muggle not

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins. This album I listened to a lot when I started going out with my first boyfriend, and as it turned into an awful relationship, I couldn't listen to the album... Which has been a huge shame because there are so many great songs on it! :( However: I was listening to their other album called Adore a week or so ago, because I associate it with fall, and then when the album was finished, Spotify started playing MCatIS... And I was able to listen to it without a horrible feeling in my gut! :exc: This is a huge victory, because this was the very last album that I wasn't able to listen to because of horrible connotations. But now all albums I've previously liked and loved are mine again! :wub:

That's a brilliant album, glad you can listen to it again! :) It's a shame when something in real life tarnishes the music you're listening to at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how poppyshake would like this one :D

I've heard it before and like it :) It's not Kate but it's still good (it's like the morphine version though :D )

Similarly, I heard this yesterday .. and I like it too :) But it's not Kate! :D 

I've heard it before and like it :) It's not Kate but it's still good (it's like the morphine version though :D )

That's an apt description :D It doesn't beat the original version which is like one of the most amazing and atmospheric songs ever, but it's still a good one :yes:

Edit: There's one advantage to the Placebo version, though: I always thought Kate was singing '... and get him to swa'ap places', and it wasn't until I heard the Placebo version that I realized it's 'get him to swap OUR places' :lol:

Similarly, I heard this yesterday .. and I like it too :) But it's not Kate! :D 

Dare I say....: No one's Kate? :lol:

Edited by frankie