Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My book box has given me The Time Machine by HG Wells. It obviously thinks I need to stick with 19th century fiction :lol:

I hope you enjoy it!  :)

I'm reading The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory for my book club.  I'm not sure I'd keep on with it if it wasn't for that purpose though - it's rather slow.  

Started The Ruby Circle this morning and already halfway through :blush:  Going to carry on with it once I've made myself a coffee, but I'm out this evening so probably won't finish it today.

I did pop into my local bookshop this morning, but nothing took my fancy … at least not enough for me to buy it … probably a good thing as I have plenty to read at the moment.

My book box has given me The Time Machine by HG Wells. It obviously thinks I need to stick with 19th century fiction :lol:

I've been putting this one off for a while but am looking forward to giving it a good go.

I hope you like it, I loved The War of the Worlds.

About 50% into The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.  I can't wait to see where it goes!

I hope you enjoy it!  :)

I hope you like it, I loved The War of the Worlds.

About 50% into The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.  I can't wait to see where it goes!

Thanks both! I'm really enjoying it so far. This is my first Wells, but I always feel rather nervous about any book published before 1900, which I know is ridiculous! Time travel written in 1895 is very intriguing though.

Anna - I will be intrigued by what you make of the Lovely Bones. I read it years ago and seem to remember liking the premise but not the end product for some reason.

Anna - I will be intrigued by what you make of the Lovely Bones. I read it years ago and seem to remember liking the premise but not the end product for some reason.

Athena and I read it together (she finished before me, of course lol).  She posted her review today.

Finished To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee today. I'm looking forward to the new Harper Lee book now and have it at the top of my wish list. Not sure what to read next choosing from mount TBR is daunting sometimes.

I really liked To Kill a Mockingbird when I read it for secondary school years ago. I hope you find a nice new read.

Thanks both! I'm really enjoying it so far. This is my first Wells, but I always feel rather nervous about any book published before 1900, which I know is ridiculous! Time travel written in 1895 is very intriguing though.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! I feel the same way about books published that early, but I liked The Time Machine :).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book, Alexi, I finished it yesterday.

Athena and I read it together (she finished before me, of course lol).  She posted her review today.

Sorry! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far and I look forward to talk with you about it when you have finished it :).

I'm still re-reading Martine F. Delfos - Een Vreemde Wereld, it's good but technical and a smaller font on big pages so it's taking me a while. I'm finding it very interesting though, I'm learning some new things and remembering some things I'd forgot about. I love the personal stories in it too, it's nice to find som recognition in other people.

I'm tempted to start a fiction read alongside it, but I know if I do that, I'll likely just stick to one of the two books in the end since I find it very difficult to read two books at once. So I'm going to try to just stick to Een Vreemde Wereld for now and see how that goes.

I'm halfway through The Universe versus Alex Woods. It's good, I am enjoying it, though it's not what I was expecting. I don't know what I WAS expecting, since I never read a synopsis for it, but I wasn't expecting something quite so conventional for the most part. (I loved the beginning, because it was so wonderfully random, but now it has settled down into something quite ordinary, just seen through unconventional eyes.) That said, the beginning seemed to be where it's all going to end up, so hopefully it's going to get a bit silly again soon.

Thinking I might start another book along side it, but not sure what yet.

10% read of The Kite Runner  :smile: , and was starting Burial Rites by Hannah Kent this morning, but my brain is really fuzzy, and the Icelandic names, place-names and the 19th century (very formal) letters  :blink:, are too much hard work at the moment.

Finished The Universe Versus Alex Woods, review in my thread. Liked it, but not what I expected and a bit disappointing.

Think I'm gonna read The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes next, as it's quite a short read, and then probably onto The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August by Claire North.

Bought myself a few more of the books on the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize shortlist today:

Half Bad by Sally Green

Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

I've also started one of the ones I bought last week … Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens and I'm loving it so far. :smile2:

I finished Messenger by Lois Lowry yesterday, and I've started on The Humans by Matt Haig.

I'm pretty sure that you'll love The Humans Kylie  :yes:, as it's both hilarious but sad too.

I noticed that The Rosie Effect is in transit between libraries now, so I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday  :smile:

and then probably onto The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August by Claire North.

Amazon keeps recommending this to me, I'll see what you have to say about it first :smile:

I finished Messenger by Lois Lowry yesterday, and I've started on The Humans by Matt Haig.

:jump:

Bought myself a few more of the books on the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize shortlist today:

Half Bad by Sally Green

I've also started one of the ones I bought last week … Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens and I'm loving it so far. :smile2:

I really enjoyed Half Bad when I read it last summer, the next in the series, Half Wild, is out next month. :)

I really enjoyed Half Bad when I read it last summer, the next in the series, Half Wild, is out next month. :)

Good to know :) I've seen a few YA authors on twitter reviewing it positively as well, so fingers crossed. :D

I'm starting The Apple Tart of Hope this morning.  :readingtwo:

Half Bad by Sally Green

I hope you enjoy your new books :)

I hope you enjoy it :D!

I noticed that The Rosie Effect is in transit between libraries now, so I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday  :smile:

Yay! I hope you will enjoy the book :)!

I finished re-reading Martine F. Delfos - Een Vreemde Wereld and will be reading a fiction library loan next. I'm not entirely sure which one yet. I have a lot of other things to do today so we'll see.