Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

You've already started The Winter Queen? Hurrah!! I knew you were going to start it soon because it's a loan book, but still, you've exceeded my expectations :D Glad you're enjoying it! :)

If I told you how long I had her Mapp & Lucia omnibus for .. you would blush for me :blush2:  

My reading has almost come to a hault :( Too many things happening at once, too many things to think about.

Yes .. but them things are good .. yes!?! :D;) Just take little nibbles every now and then .. once you feel more able you can try big chunks! I think we are still talking about books but we might be talking about toast  :blush2:  :hug:

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the ebooks for the third and fourth series of The Giver Quartet. Yup, I am well and truly hooked to Lois Lowry's writing.

I wonder if you might enjoy Lowry's Anastasia Krupnik series :smile2: If you ever get a chance to read the first novel in the series for free, and if you're interested, I suggest you give it a go!

If I told you how long I had her Mapp & Lucia omnibus for .. you would blush for me 

:lol: Making amends then, are we? :D

Yes .. but them things are good .. yes!?! :D;) Just take little nibbles every now and then .. once you feel more able you can try big chunks! I think we are still talking about books but we might be talking about toast  :blush2:  

Well yes, a few good things :blush::giggle2: Little nibbles is all I can do at the moment and I'll have to settle for that :shrug::)

Do you feel it was worth it?

Well, I wouldn't rate it anywhere near as highly as the others I've read, but it was good. I'd probably recommend reading it after all of her other stuff. Novelisations should always come last. ;)

Well, I wouldn't rate it anywhere near as highly as the others I've read, but it was good. I'd probably recommend reading it after all of her other stuff. Novelisations should always come last. ;)

Hm... Could you have read the play instead? 

I just finished reading "The Universe Versus Alex Woods" by Gavin Extence. I will rate it either a 8/10 or even a 9/10.

Sounds interesting, sticking on the aul wishlist.

I've just finished reading The Giver!! Oh, that was such a great book. So now I have the

pleasure of looking forward to the next three of the Giver Quartet.

Wahey! Glad you enjoyed it, going starting it myself this evening.

I finished two books over the last two days - The Book Of Lost Things which was a reread, and Angelfall by Susan Ee which I actually thoroughly enjoyed and am looking forward to the second installment of.

I also got a whole bunch of books off my wishlist for my Kindle app:

The Spinning Heart - Donal Ryan

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes

Can Anybody Help Me - Sinead Crowley

The First 15 Lives of Harry August - Claire North

Couple of Irish ones in there, trying to get into reading more Irish authors :)

If I told you how long I had her Mapp & Lucia omnibus for .. you would blush for me :blush2:  

Like it bothers me ... I can't even remember what books I've lent you most of the time, let alone how long you've had them!!! Sometimes you give books back to me and I'd completely forgotten I'd even bought them, let alone that I'd lent them to you. NEVER worry about how long you borrow a book from me. :lol:

I wonder if you might enjoy Lowry's Anastasia Krupnik series :smile2: If you ever get a chance to read the first novel in the series for free, and if you're interested, I suggest you give it a go!

I looked at the library website recently, and it seemed all the Anastasia books have all gone missing – this usually means the books have somehow disappeared or misplaced (or been stolen). I might get the first novel of Anastasia, and give it a go! I’m really enjoying Lois’ work, and I still have Count The Stars to read.  :smile:

Wahey! Glad you enjoyed it, going starting it myself this evening.

The Giver was brilliant, and I will have a rest from Lois for a week or so.  :smile:

Edited by Marie H

Forgot to say earlier, I started All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky today, and it's really good.  Came home from work and picked it up again immediately for a half hour read, so I'm already half way through.  Nice to have a good book from the library reading group … it can be a bit hit and miss at times! :lol:

I've been in bed ill for the last four days with no sign of letting up. Very little energy to read so I've only just finished If I Stay by Gayle Forman - taken me ages to read 200 pages of large print!

I really didn't connect with it at all - but I'm not sure if that's the book or my illness! Never again will I take breathing, swallowing, standing up and walking in a straight line for granted ever again.

Like it bothers me ... I can't even remember what books I've lent you most of the time, let alone how long you've had them!!! Sometimes you give books back to me and I'd completely forgotten I'd even bought them, let alone that I'd lent them to you. NEVER worry about how long you borrow a book from me. :lol:

Thanks Claire :hug: .. the same goes for me xx 

So glad you're enjoying your library group read .. good old Irène .. you can rely on her :)

I've been in bed ill for the last four days with no sign of letting up. Very little energy to read so I've only just finished If I Stay by Gayle Forman - taken me ages to read 200 pages of large print!

I really didn't connect with it at all - but I'm not sure if that's the book or my illness! Never again will I take breathing, swallowing, standing up and walking in a straight line for granted ever again.

Sorry to hear that Alex :( Get well soon  :flowers2:

Getting stuck into The Winter Queen and totally enjoying it .. I'm on a little crime spree lately. Also got my next Malory Towers book today (which some people may also view as crime :D) so I'm in the fifth form now .. ooh the blurb mentions Christmas ... smashing! :D

Hope you feel better soon Alexi. :flowers2:

I finished Shopped: The Shocking Power of British Supermarkets, which was ok. I can't decide if it was biased or a fair view. :dunno:

I've now started No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill. Early days, but it has already spooked me a bit.

I also bought Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut which was today's Kindle Daily Deal.

Just finished Ross Kemp's A-Z of Hell, really enjoyed it, never watched any of his series but there is a lot of references in there and also stuff that wasn't shown on TV, some shocking and some really funny parts. Overall a good read and gets straight to the point.

I also bought Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut which was today's Kindle Daily Deal.

Me too  :smile:   I also got Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580 by Roger Crowley in the Daily Deal.  For £1.19 I figured why not?  :smile:

I looked at the library website recently, and it seemed all the Anastasia books have all gone missing – this usually means the books have somehow disappeared or misplaced (or been stolen). I might get the first novel of Anastasia, and give it a go! I’m really enjoying Lois’ work, and I still have Count The Stars to read. 

:( :(  That's a real shame! It seems like too much of a coincidence, though, to have all of the books in the series mysteriously disappearing... I wonder if there's an Anastasia fan over ther!

I'm sorry to hear you've feeling unwell, Alexi. I hope you get better mighty soon!  :empathy:

Getting stuck into The Winter Queen and totally enjoying it .. I'm on a little crime spree lately. Also got my next Malory Towers book today (which some people may also view as crime) so I'm in the fifth form now .. ooh the blurb mentions Christmas ... smashing! 

:exc: Hurrah for TWQ

I loved Slaughterhouse-Five, I can't wait to hear what you think about it! :smile2: Ditto to Karsa on that note!

Edited by frankie

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

I'm busy reading the Hoe Overleef Ik... books by Francine Oomen that I borrowed from the library. I just finished book 7 this morning (I read books 5 and 6 last Sunday). Next up will be book 8 (which I bought as an ex-library copy).

I wonder if there's an Anastasia fan over ther!

:D  , plus  :angry: as they have disappointed other library customers.

Oh Alexi, I hope that you are feeling better now  :empathy:

Finished Dean Koontz's The City, probably the best book i've read of his so far. Next up ........

OMG I LOVED Needful Things!  Have fun with that one and I will check out The City, never read any Koontz before.

Getting stuck into The Winter Queen and totally enjoying it .. I'm on a little crime spree lately. Also got my next Malory Towers book today (which some people may also view as crime :D) so I'm in the fifth form now .. ooh the blurb mentions Christmas ... smashing! :D

I'm so pleased you're enjoying The Winter Queen!

I finished All Our Worldly Goods today. Another compelling read from Némirovsky, and can't wait to discuss it at my book group this month.