Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

A slightly off tangent  - the local literary festival will be in March, and I noticed that Matt Haig will be there!! :exc:. That should be great!!

This sounds exciting!

Today I picked by Angelfall by Susan Ee in my charity shop for €1.50 :)

I hope you enjoy it!

I'm currently not reading anything and am thinking what to read next, or whether I shall wait with starting anything until tomorrow when it's read-a-thon time. It's only a few hours before bedtime and I don't know yet if I'll even have some time and energy to read, we'll see.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to see Matt Haig  :smile: , and it will promoting his new book Reasons to Stay Alive, which seems to be a sort of memoir, and his depression when her was in his 20's. It certainly will be interesting   :mellow: /  :smile:

Yes, I posted somewhere about that book!  It be great to see him!  And I hope you enjoy The Giver.

I am reading quite the piece of work atm, it is written as a serial or a TV program, I am reading David Wright and Sean Platt's Season One of Yesterday's Gone, I am on Episodes 5 and 6, each episode has about 10-15 Chapters.  Weave- you'd probably like it, absolutely terrifying.  :D  But good  :devcat:

Edited by Anna Begins

I just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Love, love, love. I'll post a review shortly in my book log, but I'd definitely recommend this one.

Ooooh!! :exc: Very happy news! :smile2: 

I've been to the library, and I now have a copy of Lois Lowry's The Giver! So I'm all ready to read  :smile:  .

Cool! :smile2: Have you started it already? (I've yet to visit other threads on the forum so don't know if you've already posted in the group read thread)

A slightly off tangent  - the local literary festival will be in March, and I noticed that Matt Haig will be there!! :exc:. That should be great!!

That's fantastic news!! :lol: You're so lucky!! :)

Such a great book, I have The Angel's Game on my TBR shelves which I'm not sure about as it doesn't get such good reviews.

Is the book in the book box?  :hide:   

I finished Chasing the Dead yesterday (about time, too!) and started reading another library book, The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom. It's pretty good and pretty funny at times :D I read 200 pages in one go. 

I'm not sure I'm going to get two books finished this week, which is not a great start to Feb. I've 80 pages left in The Book Of Lost Things and about 350 left in Deathly Hallows. Gonna try finish the former today so I can at least start making a dent in Angelfall.

Finally finished Ulysses by James Joyce :exc: I loved parts and got fustratingly bored at other parts so it's hard to judge but I am glad it's over! :alc:

Currently reading:

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

Empire of Silver by Conn Iggulden

Finally finished Ulysses by James Joyce :exc: I loved parts and got fustratingly bored at other parts so it's hard to judge but I am glad it's over! 

Well done Tim :) A round of applause is in order I think  :clapping:

Getting towards the end of The Rotters' Club and glad of it. Not going to immediately pick from the jar .. going to take the luxury option of choosing .. probably Don't Point That Thing at Me by Kyril Bonfiglioni (Mortdecai 1) Also halfway through Upper Fourth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton. Hope to get much further with The Mangle Street Murders this weekend as have some epic walking planned.

Cool! :smile2: Have you started it already? (I've yet to visit other threads on the forum so don't know if you've already posted in the group read thread)

I had a little sneaky peek at it yesterday, but only few pages,  :smile:

That's fantastic news!! :lol: You're so lucky!! :)

When I get a ticket to the event I'll be really pleased (the tickets are not on sale at the moment). Then it will spend a lot of time worrying about when I will go to book signing, I will get really nervous at a meeting Matt Haig!!  :o   :icon_eek:   :giggle: etc. etc

So...I may or may not be guilty of going to the library and coming home with four Flavia de Luce books, two books from The Giver quartet, two books and three magazines on sewing, a Masha Hamilton that I haven't read, one impulse fiction and a random non-fiction. Good thing it's a read-a-thon weekend. :blush::giggle2:

Edited by dtrpath27

I am currently reading The Universe Versus Alex Woods.

An Amazon Best Book of the Month, July 2013: Quirky only begins to describe this incredibly touching tale of an epileptic British misfit science geek who befriends an aging American Vietnam War vet. As the book begins, Alex is a teenage boy, arrested and being questioned by the authorities. What happened? How did he get here? Who is this kid? Do we even like him? Debut novelist Gavin Extence dangles these questions before us, then cleverly leads us backwards in order to answer them. The story (and therefore our journey) starts years before, when young Alex was randomly, life-alteringly struck in the head by a meteorite, rendering him both a scientific celebrity and a school yard outcast. Kurt Vonnegut's influence is obvious within specific plot points, and is also noticeable in Extence's writing, where he strikes a balance of describing tragic events with comedic style, wrapping his seriousness within subtle absurdity. Specifically, his attention to bullying is distinct, yet unsanctimonious. By the time we're back in the interrogation room, our questions about Alex have been well answered, but a bigger question demands our attention: How far would you go for a friend?

From me.....this author is making it to my "must read" list. I hope all his future books are as good as this one. I am about 70% into the book and thoroughly enjoy it. 

So...I may or may not be guilty of going to the library and coming home with four Flavia de Luce books, two books from The Giver quartet, two books and three magazines on sewing, a Masha Hamilton that I haven't read, one impulse fiction and a random non-fiction. Good thing it's a read-a-thon weekend. :blush::giggle2:

Oh, you're definitely guilty!  The evidence is plain to see. :lol:  Hope you enjoy them all :)

I only managed a few chapters yesterday, and I'm still only a third of the way through Citadel and I really need to get a wriggle on, as I've got a couple of other books I need to read in the next couple of weeks.  :o 

Not guilty, I think  :D . You will have happy read-a-thon Dtr!!  :smile:

I finished Chasing the Dead yesterday (about time, too!) and started reading another library book, The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom. It's pretty good and pretty funny at times :D I read 200 pages in one go.

Well done, that's a lot :)!

Finally finished Ulysses by James Joyce :exc: I loved parts and got fustratingly bored at other parts so it's hard to judge but I am glad it's over! :alc:

Congratulations, well done!

I wish you a great read-a-thon :D!

I bought a few books today, and I read a bit of The Martian.

I'm not happy with the amount of reading I've been doing lately, so I decided to start on a short book to get my mojo flowing. I've chosen Black Coffee by Agatha Christie. I didn't realise until I picked it up that it's actually a novelisation by Charles Osborne of Christie's play. It put me off a bit, but it seems OK so far, and Christie's grandson advocates it at the beginning, so...

I'm not exactly tearing through the two books I was reading, so I've started reading Angelfall by Susan Ee as well, and that I am tearing through, read 120 pages last night. Really enjoying it. Would prefer a little less teen and a little more adult, but, allowing for it being a teen book, I'm definitely thoroughly enjoying it. Some very creative elements in it.

I'm not exactly tearing through the two books I was reading, so I've started reading Angelfall by Susan Ee as well, and that I am tearing through, read 120 pages last night. Really enjoying it. Would prefer a little less teen and a little more adult, but, allowing for it being a teen book, I'm definitely thoroughly enjoying it. Some very creative elements in it.

I'm glad that you have liked Angelfall - I've umm-ed and ahh-ed about trying it recently. The "very creative elements in it" is make it even more!  :smile: