Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

I got mail! :D

attachicon.gif20150202_125321.jpg

...Apparently I got sideways mail. :roll:

Anyway it's Longbourn by Jo Baker, which has been on my wishlist for a year or two now, and thanks to Janet who graciously sent me her copy I HAVE IT! And there's a lovely handwritten letter that came with it. I love things like that, I think if someone ever sent me something without a little card or letter I'd feel like they'd done it very begrudgingly

:giggle:

I'm glad it arrived safely. :)   I love writing (and receiving) real letters.  This just about sums it up for me...

Letters%20vs%20email_zpstdfjudo9.jpg

I finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath tonight.  Brian kindly sent it to me. :)   I'm not really sure how to rate it - it's more than a 3/5 but I'm not sure if it's a full 4/4 so I've gone for the midway mark of 3½/5 and will reassess when I've digested it.  I will have to try to put some thoughts down on paper.

Thanks again, Brian.  :)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:giggle:

I'm glad it arrived safely. :)   I love writing (and receiving) real letters.  This just about sums it up for me...

Letters%20vs%20email_zpstdfjudo9.jpg

I finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath tonight.  Brian kindly sent it to me. :)   I'm not really sure how to rate it - it's more than a 3/5 but I'm not sure if it's a full 4/4 so I've gone for the midway mark of 3½/5 and will reassess when I've digested it.  I will have to try to put some thoughts down on paper.

Thanks again, Brian.  :)

I am the same when it comes to receiving handwritten letters, I think its partly because you know that writing a letter requires some effort. You're welcome with regards the book.

Hope you enjoyed it. It was a fantastic read, wasn't it? :smile:

I'll be watching the film again at some point in the near future. It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember thinking Kathy Bates was brilliant (if not terrifying).

She was was'nt she, deserved her oscar for it.

Requested the nice hardback from the on-line library this morning, and as it's very popular at the moment (i'm 7 out of 7 queue who have requested it) so it may take a few weeks until I get to read it. TRP was such a wonderful book, it was both humorous and bitter-sweet :smile: . I'm kicking myself for having it in my ebook TBR for so long... :blush2:

I hope the people in line before you are quick readers and you'll get to it really soon! :smile2: And the queue could be a lot longer, I'm surprised it's so short :o 

Ok, ok … you've convinced me!  Next time I buy a book, it'll be this one. :lol:

Nooooo, don't believe the hype otherwise you won't like it!  :o   It's rubbish, don't buy it, don't touch it, don't even look at it!  :o

:giggle2:

I'm currently 380 pages into True Detective by Max Allan Collins.

Hope you enjoyed it. It was a fantastic read, wasn't it? :smile:

Yes, it was really good  :smile: , and I'm looking forward to the 2nd one in the series too sometime.

I hope the people in line before you are quick readers and you'll get to it really soon! :smile2: And the queue could be a lot longer, I'm surprised it's so short :o

Well I hope they don't read too quickly, as I'm also waiting for The Giver from the library this week too  :D . I really want to read The Giver next  :exc: .

Anyway it's Longbourn by Jo Baker, which has been on my wishlist for a year or two now, and thanks to Janet who graciously sent me her copy I HAVE IT! And there's a lovely handwritten letter that came with it. I love things like that, I think if someone ever sent me something without a little card or letter I'd feel like they'd done it very begrudgingly

I hope you enjoy your new book :)!

I finished a small collection of Andy Weir's (free) short stories, from his website, which I linked in my review and Pontalba linked in her thread.  This is a small triumph for me, as it has been impossible for me to finish anything I start reading!  :banghead:

I'm glad you were able to read some short stories :friends0:.

I finished Rudy Simone - Aspergirls: Een wegwijzer voor meisjes en vrouwen met het Syndroom van Asperger (Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome) yesterday, and enjoyed it. I started Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 10: Murder on the Orient Express. I borrowed this book from the library. I have some Dutch-translated books of hers on my TBR, but when I saw this English one at the library I couldn't resist borrowing it. It seems it's one of her more famous ones so I thought it'd be a good place to start. So far I'm not disappointed. The language is a bit old but the book is quite readable. There are some words I don't know, but other than that I can follow the story well so far. It has me intruiged and I look forward to read more in it. I hope I'll be able to understand the solution to the murder case (no spoilers please :) ). I read 70 pages in the book yesterday, out of 254 pages, so I'm just over a quarter of the way through.

Well I hope they don't read too quickly, as I'm also waiting for The Giver from the library this week too  :D . I really want to read The Giver next  :exc: .

Ah, okay! :D Will you be reading it for the read-a-long or on your own? I mean dtrpath has started a thread on it but I don't know if it's been started yet, the reading. I hope you enjoy The Giver! It's a great novel, very thought provoking :smile2: 

I've just remembered, I downloaded the Miss Mapp audiobook yesterday. I quite liked Nadia May's narration of Queen Lucia so happy to buy the next one as well.  Unfortunately, I can't find the rest of the books in the series unabridged on audiobooks :(  The whole series has been narrated by Miriam Margolyes (who I imagine would be a brilliant narrator), but they're abridged versions, which seem a waste of money to me … I want to listen to the whole book.

I've just remembered, I downloaded the Miss Mapp audiobook yesterday. I quite liked Nadia May's narration of Queen Lucia so happy to buy the next one as well.  Unfortunately, I can't find the rest of the books in the series unabridged on audiobooks :( The whole series has been narrated by Miriam Margolyes (who I imagine would be a brilliant narrator), but they're abridged versions, which seem a waste of money to me … I want to listen to the whole book.

Always frustrating. Do you know how heavily abridged they are? Sometimes it's not too bad but yes, on the whole, I try not to listen to abridged versions. Miriam is a marvellous narrator .. I've got her A Christmas Carol.

Getting on okay with The Rotters' Club .. no problems so far so why I abandoned is anyone's guess  :shrug:  Loving The Awakening of Miss Prim more and more with every reading and The Mangle Street Murders is just fantastic. Very happy with my book choices at the moment :)   

Always frustrating. Do you know how heavily abridged they are? Sometimes it's not too bad but yes, on the whole, I try not to listen to abridged versions. Miriam is a marvellous narrator .. I've got her A Christmas Carol.

I think they must be fairly heavily abridged - the full version of Queen Lucia is 8 hours 35 mins, while the abridged is 3 hrs 53 mins (and £2 more expensive).

I think they must be fairly heavily abridged - the full version of Queen Lucia is 8 hours 35 mins, while the abridged is 3 hrs 53 mins (and £2 more expensive).

Yes .. that's too much .. you've lost all the best bits probably ... all the little subtle asides etc. What a shame :(

I watched those two episodes of (1980's) Mapp and Lucia on YouTube over the weekend .. brilliant. Prunella was very like Miranda (or vice versa) as you said but gosh .. Geraldine McEwan was just phenomenal as Lucia. What a talent. I liked Nigel Hawthorne as Georgie too  :smile: 

I've just remembered, I downloaded the Miss Mapp audiobook yesterday. I quite liked Nadia May's narration of Queen Lucia so happy to buy the next one as well.  Unfortunately, I can't find the rest of the books in the series unabridged on audiobooks :(  The whole series has been narrated by Miriam Margolyes (who I imagine would be a brilliant narrator), but they're abridged versions, which seem a waste of money to me … I want to listen to the whole book.

I'm having to take my borrowed copy of Mapp and Lucia back to the library this week because some idiot (or someone with good taste :blush:) has reserved a copy and I've had it for almost a month now and haven't had the time to start reading it yet!  :theboss:  :blush: I'll order it again, fear not! :D

As for my book activity: again, wanting to announce that I received A Dog's Life by Martin Clunes in the mail today, it's from poppyshake! :wub:  :flowers2: Mega thrilled about it! 

As for my reading: I'm getting annoyed with my current read, Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver. Whenever I read a good chunk of it in bed at night before falling asleep, I forget what I've read and have to trace back my steps when I continue with it the following night :rolleyes: It's not as good as I'd hoped. 

Edited by frankie

Ooh, you've chosen a great one to start with, Athena! It's awesome. :)

It's really good so far! I'm about half way through and it's very enjoyable. I look forward to read more in it later this afternoon and see where the story goes and what the solution turns out to be. 

As for my book activity: again, wanting to announce that I received A Dog's Life by Martin Clunes in the mail today, it's from poppyshake! :wub:  :flowers2: Mega thrilled about it!

I hope you enjoy your new book :)

I'm reading NOS4R2 by Joe Hill :)

I hope you enjoy it :)!

I've been to the library, and I now have a copy of Lois Lowry's The Giver! So I'm all ready to read  :smile:  .

A slightly off tangent  - the local literary festival will be in March, and I noticed that Matt Haig will be there!! :exc:. That should be great!!

Ooh, lucky you, Maria! (for both pieces of news :D)

It would be great to see Matt Haig  :smile: , and it will promoting his new book Reasons to Stay Alive, which seems to be a sort of memoir, and his depression when her was in his 20's. It certainly will be interesting   :mellow: /  :smile:

I bet Matt Haig would be really interesting to see at a festival … hope you get the chance to go, Marie :)

I've read some more of Citadel today, and I'm really enjoying it.  No other bookish activity for me today though … wish there were more hours in the day. :(  (although obviously, I could spend the time I've spent on the forum reading my book instead, but that would just be wrong ;))

I just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Love, love, love. I'll post a review shortly in my book log, but I'd definitely recommend this one.

I have read that, but I can't remember a thing about it. :roll:

Today I picked by Angelfall by Susan Ee in my charity shop for €1.50 :)

I just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Love, love, love. I'll post a review shortly in my book log, but I'd definitely recommend this one.

Such a great book, I have The Angel's Game on my TBR shelves which I'm not sure about as it doesn't get such good reviews.

I finished The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey this evening, it was alright but I think I'm just a bit bored of the YA end of the world/dystopian type books now.

It's my youngest's turn to pull something from the Book Box, better wait till morning I suppose...