Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished The Humans by Matt Haig. Superb book. Absolutely fantastic. Will take a little time to digest that one, before reviewing it, but it's definitely a 5 star book.

After reading Bird Box the other day, I'm kind of in the mood for some more horror, so I'm off to try hunt something down.

I'm afraid I might not come back though!

If you never go back to it, maybe it wasn't worth going back to? I know the feeling though, I temporarily abandoned a book mid-January, and I've yet to go back to it.

In other news, I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to start reading a horror book at night :roll:

Just finished The Humans by Matt Haig. Superb book. Absolutely fantastic. Will take a little time to digest that one, before reviewing it, but it's definitely a 5 star book.

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it .. It's one of the very few books I've read that I think I might read again.

I'll be carrying on with Half Bad again today. :)

Glad to hear. :) You didn't seem so sure about it (plot-wise) in another update, so I'm glad it turned around for you! I'm nearly 3/4 of the way through it. Too busy with work to get much reading done. :(

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

:drama: What to do what you are on the verge of abandon/ abandon not...

Awwww :(, I hope it will get better soon, otherwise it might be time to abandon it :(.

Glad to hear. :) You didn't seem so sure about it (plot-wise) in another update, so I'm glad it turned around for you! I'm nearly 3/4 of the way through it. Too busy with work to get much reading done. :(

Yeah, not a lot had happened at that point, it was mostly just funny events. It picked up pretty quickly plot-wise after that :lol:

I scared myself out of sleep last night with a random Blair-Witch-style book named The Ritual. It was the stupidest thing I could have done, I'm exhausted today, and tomorrow I have a seriously long day ahead of me.

I scared myself out of sleep last night with a random Blair-Witch-style book named The Ritual. It was the stupidest thing I could have done, I'm exhausted today, and tomorrow I have a seriously long day ahead of me.

Aw!  :giggle2: << Not at you not sleeping, just the thought of you scaring yourself before bed.

I still haven't made a decision about Skeletons at the Feast, but am going to take Nolls advice and set it aside for this weekends read a thon.  I have some serious issues with it too, so its not that it its boring or anything.

Glad you're putting it aside for a while, might help a lot to come back to it fresh next week :)

First person has been dragged off into the woods, Blair-Witch-style \o/ :lol: Why oh why am I doing this to myself.

It was really weird actually, while reading it last night I got really nervous, started getting palpitations and hearing all sorts of little noises in my room. When I sat up properly for a few minutes and came on here to post my attitude rapidly changed to 'for god's sake it's just a book!' and then it scared me again. Funny how your psychological/emotional context can change so rapidly.

Gonna try read a good chunk of this book today :lol: It's by someone named Adam Neville. I think. I literally just googled 'really scary books' and grabbed the first one on my tablet. I got another one called PenPal which apparently started as a bunch of stories on Reddit. The cover also features a scary wood.

:exc: . The Humans is wonderful, isn't it!!

Collected Walter Moers' The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear from the library this afternoon :smile: . I didn't realise that it could be a such a weighty tome! A hardback book of 703 pages, it was a heavy!!

I really will have to get some serious reading this weekend, with three books on the go, and they are library loans as well  :readingtwo: Oh heavens, I've just remembered that there is also Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning soon to read as well  :giggle2: .

It's by someone named Adam Neville. I think.

I really quite fancied The Ritual, but I decided to read his Apartment 13 first and didn't think much of it at all, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of this one :smile:

Collected Walter Moers' The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear from the library this afternoon :smile: . I didn't realise that it could be a such a weighty tome! A hardback book of 703 pages, it was a heavy!!

I really will have to get some serious reading this weekend, with three books on the go, and they are library loans as well  :readingtwo: Oh heavens, I've just remembered that there is also Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning soon to read as well  :giggle2: .

Yay for Captain Bluebear! :D

At least Sonnets from the Portuguese is a quick read, although I guess it will take a while if we're going to analyse them all!

Gosh .. mine was a paperback and that was heavy enough! Hope you get on well with it Marie .. I shall feel guilty if not  :blush2: xx

Continuing on with Gatsby's Girl .. pleasant enough but it's not wow, unbelievable, or anything  :blush2: Also continuing to listen to The Girl on the Train .. which is totally gripping. I'm trying to ration it because it's a long time until my next credit with Audible but it's so tempting to just let it play on. Edge of your seat stuff.

I really quite fancied The Ritual, but I decided to read his Apartment 13 first and didn't think much of it at all, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of this one :smile:

I'm tearing through it, but it feels like a guilty pleasure. There's nothing particularly remarkable about it - I'm getting the same pleasure out of reading it that I got out of watching The Ruins - which is just the laughs and occasional scares of a B-level story. But it's definitely an easy read, and I'm gonna get to the end no bother. I'd read his writing again, but I'd be more selective about the premise. :)

I gave up on his No One Gets Out Alive, but have heard better things about his other books.

I'm still reading This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein. I have mixed feelings about it. There is so much information there, but I'm finding it quite repetitive and covering the same ground. I'm only 25% though it, so it's taking me ages. I've also bought a few Kindle books over the last few days:

Elizabeth is Missing - Emma Healy

The Chronicles of St Mary's Vol 1 Boxset - Jodi Taylor (this one is a freebie)

The Hidden Girl - Louise Millar

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan

The Poisonous Seed - Linda Stratmann

The Miracle Inspector - Helen Smith

Strong Woman - Karren Brady

The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence

I didn't realise I'd bought quite so many. Oops! :lol:

I finished The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows today. What a fantastic little book! I finished it on my lunch break at work today and it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling for the rest of the afternoon. The only gripe I have is that I didn't read it sooner, I've had it for years but never really been interested in it - kicking myself I am!

I finished The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows today. What a fantastic little book! I finished it on my lunch break at work today and it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling for the rest of the afternoon. The only gripe I have is that I didn't read it sooner, I've had it for years but never really been interested in it - kicking myself I am!

It's funny how that happens sometimes: you have a book for years but can't be bothered to pick it up because it doesn't interest you. But then when you do and you love it, you feel all silly for not having gotten to it sooner! :D Happens pretty often. I'm really happy you loved the book, it's a gem :smile2:

I went to the library to collect a few reserved books (the next two books in the Mobile Library -series :exc:), and borrowed three other books, too. I think I'm going to try and focus on The Rosie Effect today, I really want to get into it and possibly even finish it. 

Glad you enjoyed it. It's a gem, isn't it? :)

I went to the library to collect a few reserved books (the next two books in the Mobile Library -series :exc:), and borrowed three other books, too. I think I'm going to try and focus on The Rosie Effect today, I really want to get into it and possibly even finish it. 

How's The Rosie Effect going?

I finished The Humans today. Excellent book. :) I've gone back to Guns, Germs and Steel, but it's not a book I can read it chunks, so I'll intersperse it with Sonnets from the Portuguese and perhaps pick up Rebecca in the next couple of days.

I loved that book too!  Always nice to see someone else enjoy a book you've loved yourself. :smile2:

I finished The Humans today. Excellent book. :)

Woohoo!!! I can't remember anyone not liking The Humans … it's pretty unusual to find a book like that. :D