Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Brian Selznick - De Uitvinding van Hugo Cabret (The Invention of Hugo Cabret) yesterday, and am already pretty far into it. The first 50 pages were almost all illustrations so they went by really quickly. I hope to finish the book later today. It's quite enjoyable and the illustrations are very pretty. I've seen the film (which is what made me want to read the book, as I hadn't heard of it before then) which I liked and so far the book is enjoyable too.

I read 220 pages yesterday to finish a long way gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah, in almost one sitting.  Still thinking about it today and what a well written, well handled book it was.

Tried to get into Crash by JG Ballard this morning, but I don't think it is for me.  I will still continue to try him.  I have Empire of the Sun and The Drowned World in my Samples list.  Kind of strange, but while looking up Ballard's Crash on Amazon, I found a 200 page non- serial book from Sean Platt and David Wright (Yesterday's Gone) that came out in June, called Crash.  Took three off the 2015 long short list and added one lol

Anyway, I began Chris Bohjalian's Skeletons at the Feast.  Another from the list.

Tried to get into Crash by JG Ballard this morning, but I don't think it is for me.

I watched the movie the other day. It was terrible. I'll try not to let it put me off reading the book though. I completely understand why readers might have trouble with it.

I'm up to part 2 in The Humans, and I've been reading Son as well. Both are going well!

I watched the movie the other day. It was terrible. I'll try not to let it put me off reading the book though. I completely understand why readers might have trouble with it.

I'm up to part 2 in The Humans, and I've been reading Son as well. Both are going well!

I didn't like the movie either.  I didn't like the way it was directed. 

Glad you are enjoying The Humans!  Is Son the third or fourth?

It's late and I'm tired but I can't sleep coz my brain is high on finishing the seventh Harry Potter book. I done did it, y'all. It only took 17 years but I read all seven books.

I prefer the films.

BUT.

I am immensely happy that I have now read all of the canon material, and understand so much more of the characters' backgrounds. Apart from when they were terribly written, the books were very good. At times they were hilarious and insightful and even beautifully written. I did the thing, I'm now a proper Harry Potter fan.

Edited by Nollaig

I finished Summer at the Lake which was much better than I expected, very predictable but nicely written and enjoyable. Eldest son has now pulled Summer Island by Kristin Hannah from the Book Box.. She has written a couple of my favourite books but also also a couple I wasn't so keen on so fingers crossed this is a good one! :)

It's late and I'm tired but I can't sleep coz my brain is high on finishing the seventh Harry Potter book. I done did it, y'all. It only took 17 years but I read all seven books.

I prefer the films.

BUT.

I am immensely happy that I have now read all of the canon material, and understand so much more of the characters' backgrounds. Apart from when they were terribly written, the books were very good. At times they were hilarious and insightful and even beautifully written. I did the thing, I'm now a proper Harry Potter fan.

Well done on reading all seven books!

I started Louise Rennison - The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey 1: Withering Tights which isn't brilliant so far but it's more enjoyable than I was expecting. It has some funny moments in it, though I wish there was a bit less talk about boys. It won't be a 10 / 10 read I think but it's enjoyable and nice enough to continue with it. I particularly enjoy the funny moments at the school (Tallulah starts studying at a school for performance arts in Yorkshire).

Still enjoying Gathering Blue, but it seems that my reading mojo has become a bit fickle again - my attention span is shorter  than a gnat's crotchet :giggle2: So I've put The Kite Runner aside for the moment, as I should have The Rosie Effect tomorrow from the library :011: , and will only have the book for 3 weeks on loan.

Edited by Marie H

Received a few gorgeous books from the lovely poppyshake today, as it was the first time we'd met since my birthday a little while back. :)

Arsenic for Tea by Robin Stevens

Cowgirl by G. R. Gemin

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood

The Beautifull Cassandra by Jane Austen

Still enjoying Gathering Blue, but it seems that my reading mojo has become a bit fickle again - my attention span is shorter  than a gnat's crotchet :giggle2: So I've put The Kite Runner aside for the moment, as I should have The Rosie Effect tomorrow from the library :011: , and will only have the book for 3 weeks on loan.

Oooooooh The Rosie Effect!!! :exc: If I manage to read more of The Rosie Project tonight, it might just be that you and I will be reading TRE at the same time! :smile2: I'll want to start it right after TRP.

Oooooooh The Rosie Effect!!! :exc: If I manage to read more of The Rosie Project tonight, it might just be that you and I will be reading TRE at the same time! :smile2: I'll want to start it right after TRP.

Hopefully I will be able to pick up TRE on Thursday or Friday. I'm really looking forward to start reading this one.

I finished Son by Lois Lowry. It was quite good, and a fitting end to the series, I thought. I'll be continuing on with The Humans now.

Wow, and I will only be into the 2nd in the series. :)

How would you rate the complete series.