Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

I quite enjoyed The Lovely Bones, surprisingly since it's not the kind of thing I normally read. I actually enjoyed the film better than the book, but both are very good. :)

Oh good- that the movie is good- something to look forward to!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't start the next pick from my jar, as I couldn't reach the top shelf of the bookcase to get it down!  So instead, I took my Kindle to work and started on Misty Falls by Joss Stirling … it's one of my YA reads I was saving, but I've got a nice little pile of them now, so thought it would be a good read before I start on the book jar pick, Celia by E. H. Young. :)

OH has now climbed on the table in front of the bookcase to get Celia off the shelf for me, but it's a bit dusty!  Neither of us are  tall enough to reach the top shelf, and certainly can't see the top of it, so it doesn't get dusted very often :blush: and the book's been up there for at least fifteen years! :lol:

I couldn't start the next pick from my jar, as I couldn't reach the top shelf of the bookcase to get it down!  So instead, I took my Kindle to work and started on Misty Falls by Joss Stirling … it's one of my YA reads I was saving, but I've got a nice little pile of them now, so thought it would be a good read before I start on the book jar pick, Celia by E. H. Young. :)

OH has now climbed on the table in front of the bookcase to get Celia off the shelf for me, but it's a bit dusty!  Neither of us are  tall enough to reach the top shelf, and certainly can't see the top of it, so it doesn't get dusted very often :blush: and the book's been up there for at least fifteen years! :lol:

It's a proper library that .. if you have to blow the dust off :DHope it's good Claire :)

Coming to the end of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers .. 700 pages of madness :D Very enjoyable. Also almost at the end of In the Fifth at Malory Towers. Will pick from the jar soon  :smile: 

Just finished To Rise Again At A Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris. Excellent, excellent book. Dense, demanding, weird, probably the weirdest book I've ever read, beautifully written. About to go attempt to gather my thoughts into a review.

Just finished To Rise Again At A Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris. Excellent, excellent book. Dense, demanding, weird, probably the weirdest book I've ever read, beautifully written. About to go attempt to gather my thoughts into a review.

Is The Universe Versus Alex Woods next on your list? :angel_not:

My Book Box has given me Summer at the Lake by Erica James.. I'm not even sure why I bought this one.. Oh well, fingers crossed it's a good one! :)

I've read a few other books by the author and liked those. I didn't know she had a new one out, so thanks for that :). I hope it's good!

I finished David Nobbs - Sex and Other Changes (review will be posted soon, it was nice and enjoyable but there were some aspects of it I didn't like) and started Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones and Martine F. Delfos - Een Vreemde Wereld: Over Autismespectrumstoornissen (ASS), Voor Ouders, Partners, Hulpverleners, Wetenschappers en de Mensen Zelf (re-read). So far The Lovely Bones is interesting (I've read two chapters so far) and I look forward to read more in it. The autism book is a re-read but I couldn't find my parents' copy so I borrowed it from the library. This is a newer edition than my parents' one so I look forward to find it if there's any new information in it. I was a teenager when I first read this book and it really appealed to me at the time. Now though I'm older and know much more about myself, so I'm interested to see what I think of the book now. I've only read a couple of pages so far, just the introduction and such.

I finished reading Chasing Odysseus by S.D Gentill. it's the first in a trilogy and to be honest I'm not really compelled to read the rest. It was a good read but not great for me so I'm moving on to Harper Lee's To kill a mockingbird. I first read when I was 12 or 13 so I'm interested to see what my take on it now is.

I finished reading Chasing Odysseus by S.D Gentill. it's the first in a trilogy and to be honest I'm not really compelled to read the rest. It was a good read but not great for me so I'm moving on to Harper Lee's To kill a mockingbird. I first read when I was 12 or 13 so I'm interested to see what my take on it now is.

Great book .. hope you enjoy re-visiting it :)

Finished The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers and In the Fifth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton. The jar has picked out Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test  :hide: and I'll be in the Last Term at Malory Towers too .. saying goodbye to the girls  :cry2:

Finished The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers and In the Fifth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton. The jar has picked out Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test  :hide: and I'll be in the Last Term at Malory Towers too .. saying goodbye to the girls  :cry2:

Wow, you certainly whizzed through that! Can't wait to see your review. :D

Ooh, your jar is being so good to you lately! I reckon The Psychopath Test will be an excellent read.

Wow, you certainly whizzed through that! Can't wait to see your review. :D

Once you get started it just sort of carries you on a wave of surrealism. I had the feeling that if I stopped off at any point for too long a time I'd be lost :D I had to accompany Bluebear and stuff like eating, drinking and sleeping just had to wait :D

Ooh, your jar is being so good to you lately! I reckon The Psychopath Test will be an excellent read.

I must admit .. I'm scared of it and what it contains :unsure:

I'm 3/4 reading Angela Thirkell's Summer Half, and I am loving her style of writing (E F Benson meets Evelyn Waugh I think). So I bought the ebook of another of her novels The Brandsons.

I'm about two thirds through Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones and I'm enjoying it. There are sometimes some American expressions that aren't familiar to me, and the story is quite dark, but I find myself really wanting to keep on reading to find out what's going to happen next.

I'm also re-reading Martine F. Delfos - Een Vreemde Wereld but I'm not that far into that yet. It's a big book with small font. This library copy is a newer edition than the one I read when I was a teenager (which was my parents' copy), so it's nice to read some of the additions and mentions of newer research results and such. I'm enjoying it so far, while the language is perhaps a bit technical I find it not too hard to understand (though of course with the small font I don't read pages as fast as with The Lovely Bones, I think I read fiction generally faster than non-fiction books (except maybe biographies), anyway)

Yesterday I finished up Father & Sons by Ivan Turgenev and also The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. I have no books on the go at the moment so I will select a work of fiction randomly from the TBR jar and I think I'm ready to give The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche another shot.

Edited by Brian.