Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

I've now finished reading Lady Oracle!! :doowapstart: . Next tree-book will be Tim Pears's In A Land OF Plenty. This one looks like a tome - 650 pages  :blink:

Edited by Marie H

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visited Waterstone's today and came home with …
post-4870-0-24025000-1423934428_thumb.jpg

Also bought myself the audiobook of Middlemarch (unabridged) to accompany the group read we're doing of the English Counties Challenge.

Only a few short stories left to read in Dimanche, so hoping to finish it this evening. :)

Slow progress with No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill. I'm not liking many of the characters. Well.....actually, they are not supposed to be likeable in any way, but I guess I'm not finding them very realistic.

That's a shame, I'd added it to my wishlist.

My reading mojo is in a slump at the moment  :catsick: . After reading The Giver, I can't seem to get any enthusiasm to get back of my other books at the mo.

I've now finished reading Lady Oracle!! :doowapstart: . Next tree-book will be Tim Pears's In A Land OF Plenty. This one looks like a tome - 650 pages  :blink:

I hope your mojo survives it! :lol:

I had started reading To Rise Again At A Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris because I loved the premise but I'm finding it so difficult to read... it's just full of long-winded recollections of seemingly unrelated events. I may put it aside and come back to it later.

attachicon.gifNewBooks.jpg

Also bought myself the audiobook of Middlemarch (unabridged) to accompany the group read we're doing of the English Counties Challenge.

Only a few short stories left to read in Dimanche, so hoping to finish it this evening. :)

Good girl .. that is the correct way to leave a bookshop .. with purchases :D Love the covers  :blush2:

Read 200 pages plus of my Captain Bluebear book .. think I am on life six (out of his thirteen and a half lives) .. thoroughly entertaining. These 700 pages are going to whizz by  :smile: I'm entranced.

Read 200 pages plus of my Captain Bluebear book .. think I am on life six (out of his thirteen and a half lives) .. thoroughly entertaining. These 700 pages are going to whizz by  :smile: I'm entranced.

*stop pacing and wringing hands and starts bouncing around in glee*

:exc:  :exc:  :exc:

I've started reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry.

I very nearly chose The Wolf Princess for my Book Club, Claire (I went for Hollow Frost Hall in the end) so I'll be interested to know what you think of it. :)

I'll be sure to let you know, Janet. :D  Interestingly, OH said he almost bought it for me for Christmas (and he always makes great choices), and then later I mentioned the books I'd bought on twitter and Emma Carroll tweeted me that The Wolf Princess was good too, so it all bodes well! :lol:

I have finished up Season Three of Yesterday's Gone, amounting to 1,488 pages in 12 days!  Started on the sample of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold tonight and liking it so far- I mean, the concept, not exactly the graphicness/ uncomfortableness of the beginning- so I will probably continue with that.

Good haul! 

I hope your mojo survives it! :lol:

The Reading Mojo has improved :smile: , plus In A Land of Plenty seems to be a breeze after Lady Oracle. This one seems a bit dull.

I've started reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry.

:smile: . I should be starting Gathering Blue sometime this week!

I have finished up Season Three of Yesterday's Gone, amounting to 1,488 pages in 12 days!  Started on the sample of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold tonight and liking it so far- I mean, the concept, not exactly the graphicness/ uncomfortableness of the beginning- so I will probably continue with that.

I'm interested how you get on with The Lovely Bones - I found it the beginning disturbing, and I was still was disturbed most of the book.

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Well done for reading it so quickly! I have The Lovely Bones on my TBR, I hope the uncomfortableness gets better later on if you decide to persist with it.

I'm currently reading David Nobbs - Sex and Other Changes, which is a humourous British book about a married couple (husband and wife) who both want to have a sex change (to change into the opposite gender). So far it's nice, I find it's nicely described how the two main characters are feeling and what they're thinking. I haven't read any books on this subject before so it's nice to learn a bit more about what people born in the wrong gender might feel like. The book does have some words in it I don't know but it's an interesting read so far.

I'm interested how you get on with The Lovely Bones - I found it the beginning disturbing, and I was still was disturbed most of the book.

Oh great!  :o I was hoping it was just the beginning!  I didn't know there was a movie, either til the other day.

Fingers crossed for another good book, Claire! :D

I've gotten a good bit further into To Rise Again At A Decent Hour, and it has become much more readable (which is funny, as most reviews I've read said the opposite of it - it starts good but gets dull. Not sure what that says about me :lol:) It's still very strange and full of religious references, but I do find the main character's inner monologue quite interesting and often surprisingly relatable.

Also gradually progressing with Deathly Hallows - I'm so near the end! :D

I'm going to have to give up on No One Gets Out Alive. It's just dragging along at such a slow pace, and the characters are starting to get on my nerves. It's the first book I've abandoned this year...I was hoping to not abandon any, but it is really putting me off reading.  :doh:  :banghead:

Half way through Fathers & Sons by Ivan Turgenev. It's not a long book but due to the prose it is taking me some time to get through it. I have to read it in total silence otherwise I can't concentrate and that is slowing me down somewhat. Hopefully I'll be finished in the day or so and the jar can choose another book for me.

Oh great!  :o I was hoping it was just the beginning!  I didn't know there was a movie, either til the other day.

I quite enjoyed The Lovely Bones, surprisingly since it's not the kind of thing I normally read. I actually enjoyed the film better than the book, but both are very good. :)

Also gradually progressing with Deathly Hallows - I'm so near the end! :D

:D

I found that with DH, much of the early parts of the book dragged on, then all the excitement happened within the last couple of hundred pages. Didn't stop me crying like a baby near the end, though. :giggle2:

I gave up on In A Land of Plenty, only after 32 pages this morning, because the plot and characters were so dull. I have so many TBR books lying around, so at least this one is now going to the next charity bag.

So now I will start on Lois Lowry's Gathering Blue as a library loan.  :smile: