• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Kylie

Rest in Peace

Crikey.  He wrote some of my favourite film scores:  The Wrath of Khan, Aliens, Apollo 13, The Rocketeer . . .  

Crikey.  He wrote some of my favourite film scores:  The Wrath of Khan, Aliens, Apollo 13, The Rocketeer . . .  

Don't forget Krull!

I think my favourite Horner score is Wrath of Khan.  There are so many good parts to that score but the emotion in the piece as Kirk runs through the Enterprise to engineering sets up the scene that follows beautifully.

I have a number of his scores; Star Trek II and III, Rocketeer, Apollo 13, Titanic (which, I hasten to add, I always stop before Celine kicks off!) and Sneakers.

He leaves quite a body of work.  A good legacy.

Edited by Raven

Titanic (which, I hasten to add, I always stop before Celine kicks off!)

Yeah yeah, of course you do :lol:

Punch it Bishop!

Awww, RIP Sir Nicholas Winton :( As we Finns say, may the soil be light. 

What a poignant saying frankie. I have made a note of that.  :smile:

What a poignant saying frankie. I have made a note of that.  :smile:

Thank you for saying that :) I've always really admired that phrase. It means the utmost respect and admiration towards the deceased. 

Edited by frankie

RIP Omar.

Those eyes, such wonderful eyes. 

I fell in love with Omar because of his eyes in Doctor Zhivago:wub:

Dr. Zhivago is one of my favorite films. Omar became a legend because of his role in the movie.

Lawrence of Arabia was a great start for him. In the film they show a distant speck in the desert and it slowly comes closer until finally you see a man riding a camel and then he unwraps his "scarf?" and the first thing you see is those eyes., unforgettable.

Oh I know.....I used to wonder who my mum was on about this Omar guy. One of her favourites and then I say Dr Zhivago....he had those eyes to get lost in....so sad he has passed.