Rest in Peace

Kylie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sad to hear that Charley Pride, who rose to fame in the 1960s, has passed away on Saturday from complications of Covid-19. I listened his music in the 70s, as my Dad loved his music.

• 1 month later...

delenn.jpg.594d29b6c7162812b810dd1151807fab.jpg

I am very saddened to read that Babylon 5 actress Mira Furlan has died at the age of 65.

Back in the early/mid 90s, when I was in my early 20s, Babylon 5 was must watch science fiction television.  What initially looked like a low budget, clunky show quickly engaged me as a viewer and before long I was hooked.  This was back in the day when Star Trek and other series were still largely doing episode-of-the-week stories, with very little joined narrative and certainly no on-going story lines.  Babylon 5, along with other shows like Buffy, changed that, and help usher in TV series that did tell on-going stories with linked narratives.  Babylon 5 was truly ahead of its time; epic in its scope, ambition and with strong writing and story telling, but at the heart of it all was a very talented cast who gave life to some brilliant and wonderful characters. 

Mira played the part of Delenn, an ambassador from an alien race, who was strong, compassionate and loyal; she played the role with good humour, warmth and conviction that genuinely endeared her character to the viewer. 

Of course, she did a whole lot more than Babylon 5; others may remember her character from Lost and she was a well known actress in her native Yugoslavia for many years before she moved to America (I once read an article where she was likened to that country's version of Meryl Streep).

I went through a phase of drawing portraits in the 90s and once drew a picture of Mira, copied from a magazine, that has hung in my hallway for the last 18 years (and it is of her, she is not in character). I cannot say that it is very good; to be honest I rarely look at it anymore - it's just there - but I think the fact that it still is says something about the impact she had on me as an actress at the time.

I am very sorry to hear she has gone.

Edited by Raven
typo...

What a lovely post, Raven.

I also watched Babylon 5 (although my viewing petered out a little later on). She was my favourite character on the show, and I noticed in the bits and pieces I read about the series, she was always warmly spoken of as a colleague and friend. 

10 hours ago, Chrissy said:

What a lovely post, Raven.

Thank you.

I must admit to being more affected by this than I would have previously thought I would be.  I'm guessing part of that is due to it being completely unexpected. 

I'm not really one for the cult of celebrity, but her death has had as big an impact on me as the deaths of Leonard Nimoy, Terry Pratchett, Carrie Fisher and Clive James.  All helped to shape who I am today, and I do miss them all.  

Carrie Fisher was a real shock, especially the day after George Michael - both huge parts of my childhood and popular culture of  the time.  

Author Sharon Kay Penman has also died, not sure when but I just saw it on a historical fiction forum on Facebook.

Cicely Tyson, age 96. You know that they are "old" and you know that they can't be around forever, but even so, when they transition, it's still an utter shock. She was an AMAZING actress and I believe that had she been British, she would have become a Dame. 

• 1 month later...

Very sad to hear that the legendary (and I do not use that word lightly) Formula One commentator Murray Walker has died at the age of 97.

It has been heart warming this evening to read the tributes to him on Twitter from so many people that I follow - across a wide range of subjects - who have all universally praised him, and have all mourned his passing.

He was very much loved, and will be very much missed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...