Rest in Peace

Kylie

On 30/06/2017 at 2:11 AM, frankie said:

Michael Nyqvist, the great Swedish actor, died of lung cancer two days ago :(   He was my favorite Swedish actor. So talented and so handsome. He was friends with a certain Finnish movie director, and the movie director's said Nyqvist is (was) such a nice, down-to-earth guy, who liked to come to Finland to meet his friends (his wife is Finnish Swedish, so she's from here). 

He was only 56 years old :(

Very sad, and such a young age. :(

4 hours ago, Kylie said:

Very sad, and such a young age. :(

Yep :(   And he was very private about his cancer, he only told his closest ones, like his family, obviously. But nobody else. He kept going like there was nothing the matter with him. 

• 3 months later...

Fats Domino, New Orleans music legend, dead at 89

Last Updated Oct 25, 2017 6:03 PM EDT

NEW ORLEANS -- Fats Domino, the amiable rock 'n' roll pioneer whose steady, pounding piano and easy baritone helped change popular music while honoring the traditions of the Crescent City died Tuesday at the age of 89, the Jefferson Parish Coroner says.

The New Orleans musician's daughter said he died peacefully while surrounded by family and friends, CBS affiliate WWL-TV reports.

"We are all touched by the outpouring of love and tribute for our father," his children said in a statement. "His music reached across all boundaries and carried him to all corners of the world." They quoted a few lines of lyrics from his song, "Rising Sun": 

…Then I rock myself to sleep
Prayin' that I am here to keep
Then I ride the rising sun
Gee ain't I being a lucky one

Domino sold more than 110 million records, with hits including "Blueberry Hill," ''Ain't It a Shame" and other standards of rock 'n' roll. 

He was one of the first 10 honorees named to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Rolling Stone Record Guide likened him to Benjamin Franklin, the beloved old man of a revolutionary movement. The magazine listed Domino at No. 25 in its list of "Greatest Recording Artists of All Time."

In appearance, he was no Elvis Presley. He stood 5-feet-5 and weighed more than 200 pounds, with a wide, boyish smile and a haircut as flat as an album cover. But his dynamic performance style and warm vocals drew crowds for five decades. One of his show-stopping stunts was playing the piano while standing, throwing his body against it with the beat of the music and bumping the grand piano across the stage.

Edited by muggle not

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was 18 years yesterday since my Mum passed away. My parents are both buried together and it has been a while since I went to put flowers on the grave, so I expect I will go at some point over the weekend.   

• 1 month later...

If you want your writing to be taken seriously, don't marry and have kids, and above all, don't die. But if you have to die, commit suicide. They approve of that.

To light a candle is to cast a shadow.

It had never occurred to me before that music and thinking are so much alike. In fact you could say music is another way of thinking, or maybe thinking is another kind of music.

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?

Ursula K. Le Guin  October 21, 1929 -- January 22, 2018

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I was really sad to hear that John Mahoney had died :( He was a great actor. I loved him in Frasier, and in the movies I've seen him, mainly Dan in Real Life, She's the One, Striking Distance and Barton Fink

Rest in peace :(

I have heard of two this week - Egyptologist John Anthony West who pioneered the theory re water damage to the Sphinx and Icelandic composer Johan Johannsson who among other things did the film score for The Theory of Everything. He was found dead in his home in Berlin yesterday - for the moment at least cause unknown. He was only 48.

RIP to both of them.  

• 1 month later...

Sad to see him go, but there was a great story doing the rounds today on Twitter...

Hawking once did an interview for Newsnight and during the prep one of the producers, who was doing the setup, unplugged a lead only to see Hawking slump forward in his chair.  Fearing he had disconnected something vital, the chap ran from the room only to return with help to find Hawking very much alive and laughing.