Rest in Peace

Kylie

• 1 month later...

Chuck Berry, generally recognized as the Father of Rock N' Roll, died at the age of 90. He was certainly a legend in the music industry. I was fortunate enough to be living when he started the music that we know as Rock N' Roll.

Charles Edward Anderson "Chuck" Berry (October 18, 1926 – March 18, 2017) was an American guitarist, singer and songwriter and one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. With songs such as "Maybellene" (1955), "Roll Over Beethoven" (1956), "Rock and Roll Music" (1957) and "Johnny B. Goode" (1958), Berry refined and developed rhythm and blues into the major elements that made rock and roll distinctive, with lyrics focusing on teen life and consumerism and music featuring guitar solos and showmanship that were a major influence on subsequent rock music.[1]

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2017/03/18/chuck-berry-rock-n-roll-legend-dies-at-90/21902411/

Edited by muggle not

Inspector Morse author Colin Dexter has died.

One of Britain's most iconic detectives, but very different as played by John Thaw from the character in Dexter's books (well, the early ones at least...). 

I read several of his books back in the nineties, I think I have a couple of signed copies somewhere.

RIP.

I always dread seeing replies in this topic, because it could mean someone has died :(.

There's a spoiler in the article for the last book, just a heads-up for anyone interested in that information (I don't know if it's a well known thing or not).

It's sad he has died, may he rest in peace :(.

Our friends partner passed away during the night. He always described her as his partner although they were not romantic partners but just incredibly close friends who shared a home together - and had done for over 40 years. He rung us a few days ago to let us know that her passing was imminent although it had been coming for a long time as she was well in her 90's.

She had quite a life having fled from her native Germany (she was Jewish) during the War with litle more than the clothes on her back. The two of them were and are some of the kindest and bravest souls I have ever known and she will I am sure be greatly missed.  

One of Britain's most iconic detectives, but very different as played by John Thaw from the character in Dexter's books (well, the early ones at least...). 

I read several of his books back in the nineties, I think I have a couple of signed copies somewhere.

RIP.

:cry: His books were my introduction to crime writing.  I've read all the Inspector Morse books, and love the TV series too.

RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Our friends partner passed away during the night. He always described her as his partner although they were not romantic partners but just incredibly close friends who shared a home together - and had done for over 40 years. He rung us a few days ago to let us know that her passing was imminent although it had been coming for a long time as she was well in her 90's.

She had quite a life having fled from her native Germany (she was Jewish) during the War with litle more than the clothes on her back. The two of them were and are some of the kindest and bravest souls I have ever known and she will I am sure be greatly missed.

I'm sorry about your friend's partner's passing :(. May she rest in peace.

• 2 months later...

I was so sad to hear this too, Janet. I've read a few of her books and her last book, Birdcage Walk is high on my wish list when it comes out in paperback.  There was a lovely interview with her on Open Book a couple of months ago, and also there's this wonderful piece she wrote in The Guardian too https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/04/helen-dunmore-facing-mortality-birdcage-walk

Sad to hear of the death of actress Glenne Headly, at the age of just 62.  I love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and thought she did a brilliant job in playing the innocent Janet Colgate as a foil for both Michael Caine and Steve Martin, and it remains one of my favourite comedies.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Nyqvist, the great Swedish actor, died of lung cancer two days ago :(   He was my favorite Swedish actor. So talented and so handsome. He was friends with a certain Finnish movie director, and the movie director's said Nyqvist is (was) such a nice, down-to-earth guy, who liked to come to Finland to meet his friends (his wife is Finnish Swedish, so she's from here). 

He was only 56 years old :(