Rest in Peace

Kylie

If Leonard Nimoy (or more precisely Star Trek) got me into reading, Terry Pratchett certainly helped to keep up the momentum. 

I'm not sure now exactly when it was that I read my first Discworld novel, but I think it was around the time Sourcery came out in paperback (which I think was 1988/9).  I remember being attracted by the oddly surreal and colourful covers, and then, flicking through them, by the puns and humour.  I don't remember being that taken with The Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic, but Equal Rites certainly got my interest and it went from there.

Guards! Guards! is still my favourite of his earlier novels and I'd say Night Watch is probably his best, but either way he has left an amazing array of wonderful characters and stories that will be enjoyed for generations.

I saw him in London a couple of years back, at the Guardian book club, where he was on fine form - its something I'll never forget.

As with the untimely loss of Douglas Adams, the world is a poorer place without him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, RIP Richie Benaud. :(

I read an article on news.com.au about 10 of Richie's funniest commentating moments:

1. 'He’s usually a good puller but he couldn’t get it up that time'.

2. 'Well, Bruce Reid is not the worst batsman there is at international level. But those who are worse would not need to hire the Myer Music Bowl to hold a convention'.

3. 'And Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just ninety-eight runs short of his century'.

4. [On a Justin Langer six]: 'He’s not quite got hold of that one. If he had, it would have gone for nine'.

5. 'The slow-motion replay doesn’t show how fast the ball was really travelling'.

6. 'His throw went absolutely nowhere near where it was going'.

7. 'Laird has been brought in to stand in the corner of the circle'.

8. 'There were no scores below single figures'.

9. [After a streaker ran on the field]: 'There was a slight interruption there for athletics'.

10. [On Shane Warne's 'Gatting ball']: 'Gatting has absolutely no idea what happened to it. (He) still doesn’t know'.

I saw a picture during the coverage of his passing which I think summed Richie up perfectly. It was of the crowd at a cricket match and a bunch of them had a banner which read "Good morning Richie, good morning everyone". For those who don't know, he always started his commentary by saying good morning to his co-commentator and then to everyone listening or watching. Like most English fans of my generation, Richie was best known as a commentator and he was loved because of his calm and very understated style of commentary. He wasn't controversial just to gain popularity, he knew everything there was to know about the game, and presented it in a very even handed manner.  Even as a great of Australian cricket he was thought of as one of us by many English fans. RIP Richie.

In the car this afternoon, we listened to the interview Jonathan Agnew did with Richie during a break in the final test of the 2005 Ashes series.  It was a lovely hour to spend in his company.  I think there's also a tribute podcast available from BBC 5Live, so I'll download that later to listen to over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

German novelist and 1999 Nobel Prize winner Günter Grass passed away last week. He was probably best known for The Tin Drum. Rest in peace.

Also, I just read that Jonathan Crombie, who played Gilbert Blythe in arguably the best adaptation of Anne of Green Gables (the three miniseries from 1985 to 2000), died suddenly of a brain haemorrhage last week. He was only 48. So young! :(

Also, I just read that Jonathan Crombie, who played Gilbert Blythe in arguably the best adaptation of Anne of Green Gables (the three miniseries from 1985 to 2000), died suddenly of a brain haemorrhage last week. He was only 48. So young! :(

Oh, I'm so sad to read that. :( I love that adaptation of Anne of Green Gables, and watch it every few years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh no, such a shame. I had no idea he was 80 though.

I didn't either, but it was some 45 years ago (the murders).  Big profile of him on the news last night :(