• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

April Supporter Giveaway   04/01/2019

"If you look the right way you can see that the whole world is a garden."   In honour of spring, the April giveaway is a print of this wonderful quote from The Secret Garden (thanks, once again to www.thestorygift.co.uk) along with a Secret Garden tea (Victoria Sponge flavoured!) from the  Literary Tea Company! (You can find them both at their own website theliteraryteacompany.co.uk and at their etsy store www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LiteraryTeaCompany ).   As always, patreon supporters will be entered automatically and if you don't support but want to be included in this month's giveaway you can join the patreon here: www.patreon.com/bookclubforum A winner will be chosen at random on the last day of the month!
Kylie

Rest in Peace

I thought I'd start a thread where we can commemorate authors and other admired celebrities who have passed away (rather than starting a separate thread for each).

I'm sad to report that Colleen McCullough, the well-known Australian author of The Thorn Birds and many other books, has passed away at the age of 77. :(

I was extraordinarily young when I read The Thorn Birds, having stole my mom's copy and eagerly devoured it  :smile:  It still remains one of our favorite books. 

RIP Colleen :(

I'm so sorry to hear this, may she rest in peace :(.

I have The Thorn Birds and Masters of Rome 1: The First Man in Rome on my TBR.

It's a shame, but I expected it because I saw George Takei mention the other day that Nimoy had been taken into hospital with chest pains.

RIP Mr. Nimoy.

This has been coming for a while now; his announcement last year that he had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease was the warning shot across the bows, but it's none the less a very sad day.

I stopped off for a pint on my way home tonight (as I usually do on a Friday) and I had to stop reading Twitter a couple of times because a 40+ man shouldn't start crying in a pub (people get concerned for their safety, and start thinking someone is about to go postal . . .).

To a point I have Nimoy, along with the rest of the Star Trek cast and crew, to thank for getting me into reading.  When I was growing up I barely read anything, but I got interested in Star Trek in my mid-teens and in those days, at the dawn of home video and with no iPlayer etc. the only way to experience Star Trek was to read the novels that Titan were busily turning out.  Spock was a huge part of that, and it was Nimoy's performance that made the character and I'm glad that in his later years he came to view Spock as being more of a blessing than a curse.  To a point, I'm not sure how much I am mourning the passing of Nimoy and how much I am mourning the passing of Spock, but I can think of worse legacies for someone to leave.  He was a part of something that inspired many to be better and do better and for his influence on my life I thank him.

LLAP, Mr. Nimoy.

As the man himself might have said: Bugger.

I did wonder if something was up the other day, when I noticed his Twitter account has been silent since Christmas (there were also some comments on his daughter's feed as well).

This sucks.

Lots.

Edited by Raven