Tunn300's 2015 Reading Adventures

tunn300

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 'The Murder Bag' had me hooked and I have polished it off this lunchtime. Holidays are the best! I will post a few more thoughts on it soon

I am going to start 'The Universe versus Alex Woods' next. I am trying to read an older book from my pile before borrowing or buying a new one. So when I finish this I may have to treat myself to 'Elizabeth is Missing' which I have had my eye on for some time.

I really liked "Elizabeth Is Missing!" Hope you enjoy it. I, too, am about to begin "The Universe versus Alex Woods". :D

Well what a coincidence you are also about to start it. I shall look our for your views on it. I am looking forward to 'Elizabeth is Missing' even more now.

Well I went to return 'The Murder Bag' to the library and they happened to have a copy of `The Girl on the Train' which I couldn't help picking up. It's a fast back so only have a week to read it but have heard so many good things about it I couldn't resist. They also happened to have Gone Girl on dvd to rent so I picked that up too. Now to crack on with the reading.

Haha you'll have to tear through it! I got through The Girl On The Train in two or three days, I think. Read the second half of the book pretty much in one go coz I was dying to find out what happened. I hope you enjoy it!

Well it has taken me 4 days but I finished 'The Girl on the Train' earlier this evening. I too was desperate keep reading all the time to find out what happened. I have to say on reaching the end I found it a little disappointing and found the very end highly unrealistic in a way that bothered me. Still a pretty decent book though and very good for a first novel.

Yeah I know the bit you're talking about at the end and that made me hesitate before giving it five stars, but honestly I found the whodunnit bit more convincing than most other thrillers I've read. I like how

the fact that you'd never really suspect Tom is actually down to the unreliability of the narrator, and if you knew the truth you'd probably guess it from the outset. I thought that was a clever way to hide him in plain sight, as it were.

Well I went to take 'The Girl on the Train' back to the library and caught sight of SJ Watson's new book 'Second Life' so I had to pick it up. It's another fast black so again have a week to read it, why am I doing this to myself?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't manage to finish 'Second Life' in the week I had but luckily it was available on Kindle for less than £2. I finished it moments ago and I have to say it has one of the most annoying endings I have read in quite some time. I managed to read the book pretty quickly and whilst it didn't reach the heights of 'Before I got to Sleep' it was still a very enjoyable thriller. However that ending has really spoilt it for me a bit.

I had to order something on Amazon recently and needed to spend a couple of pounds to push it over the £10 limit and qualify for free deliver. (well that's what I told myself anyway) I picked up a copy of 'Fibber in the Heat' by Miles Jupp and have begun reading that. So far I am about a third of the way through and finding it pretty amusing.

I really enjoyed Fibber in the Heat … I like Miles Jupp as an actor and comedian, and what I liked about the book was this it was in my era of cricket.  I've tried to read a couple of other cricket books, but I didn't even start watching it until I was in my twenties, so lots of them talk about players and matches I had no idea about, so to read about players and journalists I know, drew me in.  I think it gets better as it goes on too, so if you've liked the first third, I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Fibber in the Heat … I like Miles Jupp as an actor and comedian, and what I liked about the book was this it was in my era of cricket. I've tried to read a couple of other cricket books, but I didn't even start watching it until I was in my twenties, so lots of them talk about players and matches I had no idea about, so to read about players and journalists I know, drew me in. I think it gets better as it goes on too, so if you've liked the first third, I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest. :)

I agree about the era of cricket as it is also mine. Into the last 100 or so pages now and still finding it a very interesting read.

Well an early start this morning has seen me finish 'Fibber in the Heat' just before the end of March. I really enjoyed reading it as it was a cricket book about a time of cricket I can vividly remember and all of the people in it are familiar to me. Jupp is a very amusing writer and I fully enjoyed his recounts of trying to get into press boxes and write stories for the Western Mail. I am not sure why it has taken me quite so long to read but I would definitely recommend it to any cricket fan out there.

I have today started 'The Girl in 6E' and although it's not quite what I expected it is just about persevering with. I have also requested Jon Ronson's new book from the library. I also decided to renew my audible membership and so have a credit available but can't currently decide what to download as there are just too many good books I want!

Finished 'The Girl in 6E' this morning. It certainly isn't the thriller of the year as advertised by a quote on the front. Very formulaic with very few unexpected twists or turns. The first half of the book also has more in common with fifty shades than a thriller. Pretty average and I wouldn't really recommend it.

Picked up Belinda Bauer's new novel 'Shut Eye' from the library today and will make a start later. I am also currently listening to Jon Ronson's new book.

• 2 months later...

So as usual around the Spring my work life totally overtook my reading life and I read very little. I also feel I lost my readng mojo a little as I wasn't even really missing the reading. I have tried to coax it out over the last few days by reading the fourth book in Nick Spalding's Love series, Love....Amongst the Stars. It was a pretty decent read and had a few moments of laugh out loud hilarity.

I am now anxious to start my next book and I have plenty to choose from as I had a bit of a splurge this week on new books too. Obviously this was also an attempt to bring the mojo back...honest!

So as usual around the Spring my work life totally overtook my reading life and I read very little. I also feel I lost my readng mojo a little as I wasn't even really missing the reading. I have tried to coax it out over the last few days by reading the fourth book in Nick Spalding's Love series, Love....Amongst the Stars. It was a pretty decent read and had a few moments of laugh out loud hilarity.

I am now anxious to start my next book and I have plenty to choose from as I had a bit of a splurge this week on new books too. Obviously this was also an attempt to bring the mojo back...honest!

I haven't read the fourth book yet (I don't own it, yet), glad to hear your opinion on it :). I echo what Chrissy said, I would also like to know which books you bought :). I hope your mojo comes back soon!

Sorry for holding out on you. The books were;

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King

The Paying Guests - Sarah Waters

The Lie - C.L. Taylor

The Bees - Laine Paull

Have made a start in The Bees and really enjoying it so far.