Chaliepud's Reading in 2015.

chaliepud

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! That sounds just about right! This last fortnight though he has been seriously studying and has now done 5 exams, just another 12 to go I think.

That's a whole lot of exams in one go, yikes! No wonder one would get the urge to procrastinate... I'm glad to hear he's been studying a lot more seriously now and is making his way through the exams :)

Glad to hear you can get JGHG, I hope the translation is good. One thing that was good about the copy I read was that it has not been re-edited since it's original writing. The punctuation leaves a lot to be desired which adds to its charm, it is written as he thinks, with sentences sometimes rolling into the next, I wonder if that may be lost in translation?

Haha, I'll have to see about that. I wonder if they just decided to make it as accurate as the original and took out the punctuational keys from the keyboard for safekeeping for when they went to translate some other book :D

Edited by frankie

Haha! That sounds just about right! This last fortnight though he has been seriously studying and has now done 5 exams, just another 12 to go I think.

Beth has 16 exams in total, thankfully fairly well spread out. She seems to be constantly revising - but she's looking forward to the long summer after it's all over! 

Beth has 16 exams in total, thankfully fairly well spread out. She seems to be constantly revising - but she's looking forward to the long summer after it's all over!

Yes, Charlie is too.. Steve has booked for them to spend a week in Switzerland at the end of June so he is trying to focus on that and lots of sunny afternoons playing cricket! Hopefully he will get a summer job too to earn a bit of cash.. Plans afoot! :)

• 1 month later...

Aaghh!! I was very kindly given a £50 Amazon voucher yesterday for my help as admin for my sons football team...BUT, I've been slowly trying to get my TBR shelf a bit clearer, there is no way I am going to be able to resist spending it. Such a horrible situation to be in ha ha! ;):D 

Aaghh!! I was very kindly given a £50 Amazon voucher yesterday for my help as admin for my sons football team...BUT, I've been slowly trying to get my TBR shelf a bit clearer, there is no way I am going to be able to resist spending it. Such a horrible situation to be in ha ha! ;):D

Lucky!  Here's to giant TBR piles! :wine:

BTW, I really liked your review of Johnny Got His Gun.  I probably will never read it though because a guy friend from high school that I can't stand was obsessed with that book. He would go on and on about it over the phone.  That's probably the only book he's ever read in his life!   :haha:  It sounds like a stupid reason to not read a book, I know.  But I am still glad you enjoyed it.  It does sound a lot better coming from you and not a jabber-jaws teenage boy!

Lucky!  Here's to giant TBR piles! :wine:

BTW, I really liked your review of Johnny Got His Gun.  I probably will never read it though because a guy friend from high school that I can't stand was obsessed with that book. He would go on and on about it over the phone.  That's probably the only book he's ever read in his life!   :haha:  It sounds like a stupid reason to not read a book, I know.  But I am still glad you enjoyed it.  It does sound a lot better coming from you and not a jabber-jaws teenage boy!

Never say never NB! It was an excellent read, ever so powerful. I've read a number of books set in the Great War, but none that have stayed with me quite like this one. I understand that the rotten guy has put you off though. I refuse to read anything by Jane Green (not that she writes in a genre I frequent often) because one of my old awful bosses had the same name! :D

What a real pickle you've gotten yourself into! :o:lol: What a lovely gift! Very thoughtful, and very incisive. They must know you like your books :D

One of my good friends was in charge of the gift buying luckily!  I have a few books in my Amazon basket already... I'm trying to wait but it's soooo hard!! 

I look forward to see which ones you ordered and I hope you enjoy them :).

Thanks Gaia :)

C'mon, you can't leave us hanging like that! :D Which books did you order?!

Ok, ok, here you go, so far I have ordered......

In the Shadow of Blackbirds - Cat Winter

The Time Between - Karen White

The Lie - Helen Dunmore

The Confectioner's Tale - Laura Madeleine

The Saffron Trail - Rosanna Ley

Birdy - William Wharton

The Proof of Love - Catherine Hall

All but Rosanna Ley are new authors to me and some were recommended by members here, but I can't remember who! :)

Can't wait for them to come!  :P

Lovely predicament! :D Well done Hayley! .. you've been paid in books :D Awesome! Hope you enjoy them xx Don't worry about your TBR .. it's meant to be replenished every now and then. We are readers .. that's what we do!  :blush2: 

I've not heard of any of the titles, so I did a little search on Amazon to see what the books are about. I thought there was a bit of a theme going: war and foody things :D (I love the cover of The Confectioner's Tale and The Saffron Trail :wub:)

Lovely predicament! :D Well done Hayley! .. you've been paid in books :D Awesome! Hope you enjoy them xx Don't worry about your TBR .. it's meant to be replenished every now and then. We are readers .. that's what we do!  :blush2: 

You are right Kay, a lovely predicament! Oh to be paid in books, and maybe cake too, wouldn't that be a perfect world.. a book and a coconut macaroon per hour please! :D

I hope you enjoy your new books, Hayley :)!

Thank you muchly Gaia, I almost certainly will! :)

I've not heard of any of the titles, so I did a little search on Amazon to see what the books are about. I thought there was a bit of a theme going: war and foody things :D (I love the cover of The Confectioner's Tale and The Saffron Trail :wub:)

I do like my wartime reads, I hadn't noticed the food connection, an unexpected bonus.. though I may gain weight reading them! :D

I do like my wartime reads, I hadn't noticed the food connection, an unexpected bonus.. though I may gain weight reading them! :D

Nah, Jojo will keep you up and about, she won't let you rest and put on those cake pounds :D 

Enjoy all of your new books :)  I got a £20 voucher for amazon and I couldn't decide what to buy (too many books on my wishlist), so I bought a funko pop Charlie from Supernatural. :)

I'm sure she will, we just got home from agility, she's coming on a treat, next competition on Sunday! :o

Good luck in the competition!! :smile2: And thanks for the word Flump which I learned in Athena's thread :D What a funny sounding one! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the good luck Sari, it did the trick! We got a 1st place in the Grade 2 agility class which means we are now Grade 3, not bad for only 5 shows.. She is such a cracking little dog. :) :) :)

In book news I have been a very naughty girl! I had to kill half an hour in town the other day while my daughter and her friend shopped for a gift, so naturally I ended up in Waterstones and walked out with..

Home - Toni Morrison (in their sale pile so only £2!)

The Way Back Home - Freya North

The Girls from Corona Del Mar - Ruth Thorpe

Today, I needed to replace my leaking kettle so of course popped into Amazon!  Have now ordered..

We Are All Made of Stars - Rowan Coleman (I loved The Memory Tree)

The Girl Under the Olive Tree - Leah Fleming

Winter Garden - Kristin Hannah 

Between Sisters - Kristin Hannah

The Seven Sisters - Lucinda Riley (the first in a series of 7, not sure I want to like it too much!   :giggle: )

Two Brothers - Ben Elton (I've not read any of his books but this synopsis appealed as set in WW2.

The Snow Angel - Lulu Taylor

A Possible Life - Sebastian Faulks 

The Fatal Englishman - Sebastian Faulks

Oopsie! There needs to be no book buying for a while! :D

Thanks for the good luck Sari, it did the trick! We got a 1st place in the Grade 2 agility class which means we are now Grade 3, not bad for only 5 shows.. She is such a cracking little dog. :) :) :)

That's wonderful, congratulations chalie and Jojo!! :exc: 1st place!! You might actually have to start putting your books in cardboard boxes and shoving them under the bed, because looks like Jojo's prizes are going to be taking a lot of space on the shelves :giggle2::D

In book news I have been a very naughty girl! I had to kill half an hour in town the other day while my daughter and her friend shopped for a gift, so naturally I ended up in Waterstones and walked out with..

Home - Toni Morrison (in their sale pile so only £2!)

The Way Back Home - Freya North

The Girls from Corona Del Mar - Ruth Thorpe

Today, I needed to replace my leaking kettle so of course popped into Amazon!  Have now ordered..

We Are All Made of Stars - Rowan Coleman (I loved The Memory Tree)

The Girl Under the Olive Tree - Leah Fleming

Winter Garden - Kristin Hannah 

Between Sisters - Kristin Hannah

The Seven Sisters - Lucinda Riley (the first in a series of 7, not sure I want to like it too much!   :giggle: )

Two Brothers - Ben Elton (I've not read any of his books but this synopsis appealed as set in WW2.

The Snow Angel - Lulu Taylor

A Possible Life - Sebastian Faulks 

The Fatal Englishman - Sebastian Faulks

Oopsie! There needs to be no book buying for a while! :D

So not only did you visit a book shop, but you also bought books online?! :lol: Well done :D Love it how you just went in to get a new kettle but splurged on books... :D Haha, Sebastian Faulks! Now where is my copy of Human Traces...  :lurker:

That's wonderful, congratulations chalie and Jojo!! :exc: 1st place!! You might actually have to start putting your books in cardboard boxes and shoving them under the bed, because looks like Jojo's prizes are going to be taking a lot of space on the shelves :giggle2::D

So not only did you visit a book shop, but you also bought books online?! :lol: Well done :D Love it how you just went in to get a new kettle but splurged on books... :D Haha, Sebastian Faulks! Now where is my copy of Human Traces... :lurker:

Thanks frankie! At the moment the rosettes and trophies are in front of the books, the shelves look great but it would help if I spent more time reading books than buying them!

You really must have a go at Human Traces soon, the psychology aspect could really grab you, and if it doesn't, you can forget it and donate to someone with more taste! :D;):D